Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you believe in aliens?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

king-stew wrote: »
    *lets assume that all the sh1t after hours jokes have been said already, my ma has been insulted and the 2nd poster got loads of thanks and perhaps we can have a real discussion now, woohoo!*

**Ahem**

Mary Harney.

That is all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ashyle

Definitly not.
    4leto wrote: »
    But we are not alone, we share this world and perhaps the universe with infinite amount of species, but with our level of intellect that would be truly rare. If the laws of physics are the same across the universe so are the laws of biology and evolution, its doubtful it could happen again. This is it and we are it in a universe of evolved radiation.

Oh yea, by 'we' I mean earth and its creatures :P I didn't mean that I believe there's human-like organisms out there, I mean like bacteria, stuff on a cellular level maybe!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Definitly not.
    It's arrogant and ignorant to think we are the only lifeforms in the vacuum of space, it doesn't appear to end you know :p.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

I have no evidence that ETs exist.

I do think however that it is statistically probable that they do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭4leto

Our sun is a star but a remarkable stable one it give very much a constant output we have 4 gas giants to protect us from meteor impacts we should not have any. The universe is 14 billion years old Life on Earth is about from its onset 4 billion year old. Our level of intellect probably happened after the Toba eruption when art start to appear 75 thousand years ago. So our very hospitable planet got an intelligent capable of tele comms once, even if the equation is infinite the chance are still very much zero we may be alone.

This the drake equation which suggests life exists elsewhere does not factor in evolution because that equation would be to complex. As for aliens giving us a helping hand now why would they do that.

N = N[SIZE=+1]*[/SIZE] f[SIZE=+1]p[/SIZE] n[SIZE=+1]e[/SIZE] f[SIZE=+1]l[/SIZE] f[SIZE=+1]i[/SIZE] f[SIZE=+1]c[/SIZE] f[SIZE=+0]L
    [/SIZE]

Definitly not.
    you're bringing too many smarts into this :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭4leto

ashyle wrote: »
    you're bringing too many smarts into this :P

I apologise I shall dumb it down do you think the aliens will appreciate gods only son dying here on a cross to save us. Or will they Independence day us for that.

Definitly not.
    4Leto - Ah here have I said anything like that?? I find this type of discussion about the infinite scope of our Universe enthralling so bringing formulae into it to disprove stuff is no fun for me!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Pineapple_Boi

I always lol at Atheists who believe in aliens. These same guys who dismiss God on lack of evidence

Sure there might be aliens since we havn't looked everywhere in the universe but there's not a single shred of evidence that they actually exist.

the only 'proof' is grainy edited videos of a few burnt crash-test dummies.

as for intelligent life, i dont believe there is any worth mentioning on this planet so what hope does any other planet have?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

Definitly not.
    Well if they do exist and are more advanced than us then the chances of them contacting us increases exponentially, as do the chances of them destroying themselves, yet SETI have not detected any signal from alien sources in over 50 years of 'listening'.. surely if other civilizations existed we'd have had some degree of evidence by now..

I wouldnt agree with that, I think in the short span of time that humans will exist for, the universe is far too vast for us to be contacted, it is possible but highly unlikely in my opinion. That would call on a need for a civilisation a fair bit more advanced than ourselves to be in a close proximity to our planet, which could still be light years away!

Good point on destroying themselves though!
    There is life out there its probably teeming with it, but is there intelligent life I doubt it if so it is rare. This perfect stablish hospitable world of ours perfect for high multi cellular organisms only once in 4.5 billion years was intelligence selected as an evolutionary advantage, but what an advantage.

Id like to think there is a higher chance than you think! If there are 200 billion stars in our galaxy alone, with(just to take any number) 5 planets orbiting each star, and then who knows how many galaxies, I think there is a VERY good chance of AT LEAST 1 (and im being conservative) race as advanced as our own. Very exciting to imagin what they could be like! But a pity humans probably wont be around to find out! (and i certainly wont :()
    ashyle wrote: »
    Aliens I don't believe in, not the Hollywood variety anyway. But life on other planets, yeah I do. It seems highly presumptious and unfair to assume Earth is the only planet that can support biological organisms.

I agree, but why not go so far as to say there could well be the hollywood variety out there?? Its quite possibly looking at the statistics or the universe, ie, the sheer number of suns out there perhaps with their own planets! Anyone seen avatar lately? Possible... probable?
    I'd say it's a near certainty that there's other intellegent life out there and it's only a matter of time until we, or they, come accross eachother.

I agree, but I dont think humans have that much time, not enough to advance to the stage where we can exit our solar system, much less enter others and search, and find, others! Pity though.
    I apologise I shall dumb it down do you think the aliens will appreciate gods only son dying here on a cross to save us. Or will they Independence day us for that.

Oh damn youve gone and said it!

Definitly not.
    I always lol at Atheists who believe in aliens. These same guys who dismiss God on lack of evidence

Sure there might be aliens since we havn't looked everywhere in the universe but there's not a single shred of evidence that they actually exist.

Totally get your point and im sure were well aware there is no evidence but its a probability thing completely!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

TBH, I think its slightly daft to be having a serious discussion about the possibility of life in other places in the universe. It really is a scientific question. You can look for actual evidence of life (none AFAIK) or you can attempt an educated estimate of the probability of their being life. But you really need some considerable scientific learning to attempt to answer this questions yourself. Most of us Joe Sixpacks are simply not equipped to answer these questions. And similarly with the whole climate change / global warming business. None of us would expect to be taken seriously if we offered a lay opinion on a new technique for open heart surgery or what an Intel chip might be capable of in 10 years time. But for some reason loads of us seem to believe we have the capacity to directly interpret the evidence for both climate change and the possibility of ET life. I suppose the popularity of the science fiction genre might explain why we tend to have a stab at answering te latter question. But the former has me baffled.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Definitly not.
    lugha wrote: »
    TBH, I think its slightly daft to be having a serious discussion about the possibility of life in other places in the universe. It really is a scientific question. You can look for actual evidence of life (none AFAIK) or you can attempt an educated estimate of the probability of their being life. But you really need some considerable scientific learning to attempt to answer this questions yourself. Most of us Joe Sixpacks are simply not equipped to answer these questions. And similarly with the whole climate change / global warming business. None of us would expect to be taken seriously if we offered a lay opinion on a new technique for open heart surgery or what an Intel chip might be capable of in 10 years time. But for some reason loads of us seem to believe we have the capacity to directly interpret the evidence for both climate change and the possibility of ET life. I suppose the popularity of the science fiction genre might explain why we tend to have a stab at answering te latter question. But the former has me baffled.
    Or maybe, just maybe, we're taking a wild guess?

It's AH ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Tommy_NDX

Yes there is. And there's probably similar lifeforms to ourselves somewhere having this very same conversation.

Or maybe, just maybe, we're taking a wild guess?

It's AH ffs.
    So it is. Or isn't as the case may be! Isn't it Culchie Rock or something now? :p

Anyway, I suspect the OP kinda wants us to wipe those smirks of our faces and take this thread seriously. :)
    *lets assume that all the sh1t after hours jokes have been said already, my ma has been insulted and the 2nd poster got loads of thanks and perhaps we can have a real discussion now, woohoo!*

• Advertisement

Definitly not.
    Anyway, I suspect the OP kinda wants us to wipe those smirks of our faces and take this thread seriously. :)

Im here to kill your buzz! :D

Anyways, 14 of you fckurs said definitly not in the poll so wheres your arguments??? No I really wanna hear them! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Definitly not.
    100% yes. The universe is too big and vast for their not to be life elsewhere.

Im here to kill your buzz! :D

Anyways, 14 of you fckurs said definitly not in the poll so wheres your arguments??? No I really wanna hear them! :)

the fact that none have ever been found.

i'll believe it when i see it in the flesh. not a grainy video from a conspiracy nut

Hey you can see how everybody voted (or didn't ;)) How have I not noticed that before? :confused: (Prob. cos I never vote :P)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

Definitly not.
    the fact that none have ever been found.

i'll believe it when i see it in the flesh. not a grainy video from a conspiracy nut

Life elsewhere is inevitable, how complex that is, is the question.

Miller-Urey

• Advertisement

laugh wrote: »
    Life elsewhere is inevitable, how complex that is, is the question.

Miller-Urey

and not a single organism created. they mixed a few chemicals and no life came out. big deal

there's also a good chance that any life created on other planets that way is already long dead.

but we don't even know for sure where those hypothetical 'other planets' are, not to mind if there is any life on them now

Definitly not.
    and not a single organism created. they mixed a few chemicals and no life came out. big deal

there's also a good chance that any life created on other planets that way is already long dead.

but we don't even know for sure where those hypothetical 'other planets' are, not to mind if there is any life on them now

Our galaxy contains approximately 70 sextillion stars, though most lack planets. Current estimates say there are around 210 sextillion planets in the galaxy.

That is what astronomers estimate for just our galaxy and there are 100 billion estimated observable galaxies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

Definitly not.
    What gives you that assumption, look at our own planet, billions of species have lived here but only one became intelligent, look at the world away we are from our closest intelligent animal on this planet, our intellect may be very unique. How we got it too is a freakish bunch of coincidence we really should not be here. But the dice rolled and landed all the right conditions, we are freaks of nature. I doubt it could happen again anywhere.

What you talkin bout Willis? Ironingly I don't think you understand the meaning of the world intelligence. Look it up or something man.

Our galaxy contains approximately 70 sextillion stars, though most lack planets. Current estimates say there are around 210 sextillion planets in the galaxy.

That is what astronomers estimate for just our galaxy and there are 100 billion estimated observable galaxies.

you'd think the place would be crawling with aliens then, but so far we havn't seen any

but its nice to see such optimism in today's recessionary times

the poll options suck but until any are found I will stay on the no side. of course you can never rule out their existence until you have checked on every planet and rock even underground

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭MaybeLogic

you'd think the place would be crawling with aliens then, but so far we havn't seen any

the poll options suck but until any are found I will stay on the no side. of course you can never rule out their existence until you have checked on every planet and rock even underground

We're maniacs (or at leat we're governed by maniacs).
    Do you blame them for staying away?

Definitly not.

We have no way to check other planets/moons for life, unless it is intelligent and communicates using electromagnetic transmissions.

For all we know there could be life in the ocean of europa or beneath the surface of mars.

Definitly not.
    Ignoring the US definition.
    foreigner: a person who comes from a foreign country; someone who does not owe allegiance to your country

Yes, considering just how big the universe is (it's big) the chances of the elements of chance that allowed life to exist here because of the relativly stable environment - plus a few cataclysmic events that brought about the Earth as we know it.

Even if the odds are several yotta (10^24 Quadrillion/Septillion) to 1 it's still possible.

We have no way to check other planets/moons for life, unless it is intelligent and communicates using electromagnetic transmissions.

For all we know there could be life in the ocean of europa or beneath the surface of mars.

besides sending over probes like has been done before. for now they don't go very far but future ones might. though i'd say we have a better chance of finding an alien's probe should it exist rather than the other way around
    Ignoring the US definition.

Yes, considering just how big the universe is (it's big) the chances of the elements of chance that allowed life to exist here because of the relativly stable environment - plus a few cataclysmic events that brought about the Earth as we know it.

Even if the odds are several yotta (1024 Quadrillion/Septillion) to 1 it's still possible.

I prefer sextillions myself :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭HUNK

Definitly not.
    Its a real MINDF**K isn't it! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Definitly not.

the only 'proof' is grainy edited videos of a few burnt crash-test dummies.

as for intelligent life, i dont believe there is any worth mentioning on this planet so what hope does any other planet have?
    Without getting too precise or into an in-depth discussion, I think it's fair to note that our very existence is enough to suggest that life can exist on other planets as well. Athiests generally argue that there's nothing to suggest that God exists, so it's not exactly hypocrisy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Well if they do exist and are more advanced than us then the chances of them contacting us increases exponentially, as do the chances of them destroying themselves, yet SETI have not detected any signal from alien sources in over 50 years of 'listening'.. surely if other civilizations existed we'd have had some degree of evidence by now..

then there's the Fermi Paradox...

its been proven that signals leaving our own solar system become just indiscernible noise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

unless the aliens have defied the laws of physics and broken the light speed barrier they won't be around anytime soon, you have to realise the numbers we are talking here

4.2 light years to the nearest star which has orbiting planets thats roughly 24,000,000,000,000 miles :D
    26,000 light years from the earth to the centre of the milky way
    2.2 million light years from the milky way to the nearest galaxy Andromeda

Definitly not.
    rossie1977 wrote: »
    its been proven that signals leaving our own solar system become just indiscernible noise

About twice the distance to Neptune I believe, it would need a satellite in an eliptical orbit to the sun (off the plane) with a very powerful transmitter to send messages to another solar system. As for getting a reply in our lifetime, no change! (that's the only definate in this discussion)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Definitly not.
    Of course life exists on other planets but I doubt there's any as advanced as we are

Why do you say that?
    Well there are only two options, defo yes and defo no. Definitely yes is definitely silly so all that's left me is no. :(
    Whether there definitely is or is not other life, they definitely don't come a calling the way many folk think they do and they don't kidnap us to perform intergalactic hanky panky with us either.

Why is definitely yes definitely silly?

then there's the Fermi Paradox...

Signals... I don't know too much about SETI, but what signals do they listen for? What if there are more signals than what we already know of. I am sure mankind does not know every single type of wave and signal.

There may never, in a million years, be a shred of evidence to suggest there is life, but that does not mean there is no life out there.
    But we are not alone, we share this world and perhaps the universe with infinite amount of species, but with our level of intellect that would be truly rare. If the laws of physics are the same across the universe so are the laws of biology and evolution, its doubtful it could happen again. This is it and we are it in a universe of evolved radiation.

Pfft, we created these laws, I cannot expect to find every living thing in existence to survive the same way we do on earth. They may not need water, or oxygen or whatever.

It seems that some people obviously don't have the mental capacity to enter a discussion, but most do. It's not that difficult really, you only have to use a very small bit of your brain to understand it even a little. It's not a very scientific question at all. Some things, although they might seem very complex and all that, are pretty simple to digest and understand. Sometimes it just takes a little common sense.

/facepalm

What in the fcuk has the recession got to do with anything?

How very very very naive... Considering we can hardly get to the moon and back without killing a few crews here and there I don't think we will ever be travelling that far. Picture this, put too pins beside eachother, you see the points on them? Well we have travelled from the point on one pin to the other, that's it.... we are nowhere. We will never purposely find any, not for quite some time. Technology has to make some serious advancements first, but the human race will destroy itself before that ever happens :)

It seems that some people obviously don't have the mental capacity to enter a discussion, but most do. It's not that difficult really, you only have to use a very small bit of your brain to understand it even a little.
    Ouch! :eek: Bad Xavier! :p
    Some things, although they might seem very complex and all that, are pretty simple to digest and understand.
    Oh the question here is very easy to understand, no arguments there. It's coming up with a sensible answer that's a tweeny bit more bothersome. :pac:
    Sometimes it just takes a little common sense.
    He he he. :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Definitly not.
    Yes, But alot of people say it has to be a planet like earth this is probaly not true considering for a long time people said ow nothing could live so far down in the sea then we went there found wierd fish , same with under some of pole's a huge ice wall collapsed and they found wierd fish, bug's inside it.

And who is to say alien life isnt already here we just cant perceive it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnURElCzGc0

Or the whole Summerian & the annunaki stuff.
    http://xfacts.com/updates/planetx2008.html

Definitly not.
    Lone Stone wrote: »

And who is to say alien life isnt already here we just cant perceive it

Using the definition of alien as meaning life that evolved outside of Earth, it almost certainly exists, but not here!!(on Earth)

Definitly not.
    Using the definition of alien as meaning life that evolved outside of Earth, it almost certainly exists, but not here!!(on Earth)

(o_O) i never said it came from here did i, i said maybe it's already here.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭TigerIsa

Definitly not.
    Without a doubt. Who is to say we are the most intelligent species? In our terms, maybe. When i saw the news about a year ago about the Brazilian tribe that are living in oblivion to the outside world I knew that there were aliens.
    Now I live in paranoia :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,174 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

huh. when i was skimming through I read the thread title as Do You Believe in Italians..

Definitly not.
    TigerIsa wrote: »
    Without a doubt. Who is to say we are the most intelligent species? In our terms, maybe. When i saw the news about a year ago about the Brazilian tribe that are living in oblivion to the outside world I knew that there were aliens.
    Now I live in paranoia :o

yea i remember that actually they were filming them from the air and they were throwing spear's up at the chopper :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭TigerIsa

Definitly not.
    Lone Stone wrote: »
    yea i remember that actually they were filming them from the air and they were throwing spear's up at the chopper :eek:

Yeah that's the one! Really scared me that they just have no clue about us... So many we're the same with aliens, we have no clue about them...! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

We need FTL travel, get to work monkeys.

Two big problems with that.

1. Even if traveling at the 100 times the speed of light, it would still take millions of years to visit every star system.

2. The faster you go, the more energy it takes to accelerate. Actually reaching the speed of light is, as far as we know, impossible for anything that has mass.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Definitly not.
    In all the millions of stars in all the millions of galaxies there has to be at least one other that has a planet with the right ingredients to have life on it, and even intellegent life on it.

I also think we will find life in our own solar system one day, though almost certainly not intellegent life - Europa (moon of Jupiter) is a good candidate. In fact anywhere there is water in liquid state will be possible to sustain life.

As for aliens among us, Roswell type incidents, I don't believe in that at all. Anywhere there might be intellegent life will be far too far away for them to come visit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Definitly not.
    Ah, but what if an alien life form has or was to work out some way of transporting it's consciousness? That doesn't have mass

So THERE. Nyeh.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Definitly not.
    There has to be something out there with the universe being so big and all that. Perhaps they are on their way to us right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Definitly not.
    Mossy Monk wrote: »
    There has to be something out there with the universe being so big and all that. Perhaps they are on their way to us right now.

I'll get my gun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Two big problems with that.

1. Even if traveling at the 100 times the speed of light, it would still take millions of years to visit every star system.

2. The faster you go, the more energy it takes to accelerate. Actually reaching the speed of light is, as far as we know, impossible for anything that has mass.
    We're screwed if we have to move through space in the traditional manner it seems but that's where warping space and the possibility of tachyons come in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

Putting aside the warping of space and subspace and all that sci-fi malarkey people need to remember the implications of relativistic speeds. The distances quoted to other star systems is the time it takes to get there from the referance frame of earth. From our perspective waiting back on earth, an earth ship travelling at lightspeed would take 4 and a half years to reach Alpha Centuri and 4 and a half back. So if the crew stayed 6 months we would see them arrive back 9 years and 6 months later. However the crew would experience the trip as only taking a few weeks or days even...at light speed taking into account the acceleration for the first half of the distance out and the deceleration for the second half. (on both the outbound and return legs). In other words. Even at sub light but relativistic speeds, this effect is still apparent. The round trip feels like 2 or 3 years to the crew and not the 9+ years we on earth felt like it took.
    Remember, the 4.5 ly trip isn't the amount of time the crew feels it takes, its the amount of time we on earth see it take. The trip is a lot shorter from the crews perspective.

So once one is talking about relativistic speeds and assuming the crew are in their mid 20's and assuming the crew want to die on earth (ie. return within their lifetime) the range of the ship is not 35 lightyears (crews 70 year remaining lifespan. Outbound 35 years:Return 35 years) The range of the ship to go out and come back within the crews human lifetime is actually hundreds or thousands of lightyears. In other words. At a decent proportion of the speed of light a crew could fly out to the Orion Nebula 1400 light years away and arrive back before they die. But remember, we on earth experience the full distance/time as it were. So from our perspective they wont be back for 2800 years.

Which brings me to the main point. Crew would have to have no family or friends bar other crew members whatsoever so that they don't mind everyone they ever knew being dead when they came back. They would have to be mentally prepared for the fact that they would arrive home like an ancient egyption being transported into the 21st Century and the culture shock that would entail or prepare themselves for the possiblity that they would arrive back and find the Planet of the Apes and Damn us all to Hell :D

You would also have to have an administration perpared to begin the biggest industrial project in history and invest a massive proportion of the global budget to the endeavour with no possibility of a return of that investment for thousands of years, (even just in terms of knowledge never mind financial)

It just ain't ever going to happen, and I doubt ever happen on another world either....

...Unless we develope Star Trek style warp technology.

I just don't think any civilisation capable of that technology is incompetent enough to crash in Roswell or be shot down by an F14. So while I grant the possiblity that we are being watched by an advanced warp capable civilistaion, I don't think we would ever know it unless they wanted it known. I believe 100% of UFO sightings are crap but I do believe in the existance of Alien life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Intothesea

Definitely maybe, with a slight leaning to probably. Just on the basis that the genesis of proto-cellular life on Earth is an absolute mystery. Maybe the life-originating planet is not Earth at all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement