Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Filler for holes in wooden door frames ?

• 02-01-2010 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,709 ✭✭✭✭

I'm currently sanding, filling and painting my doors and door frames. However, there are some large dints in some of the door frames. I was wondering if wood filler would work in filling these dints or is wood filler only useful for hairline cracks ?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Car body filler works well for bigger dints.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Car body filler!!!!

Get some polyfiller and some good filling knifes, fill,let set, sand...You might get some sinkage, so over fill it and sand to a smooth finish....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

Wood filler is best, most cases you'll have to sand after filler. If you use anything else you might have trouble sanding.

Different color fillers for different wood, if doors are pine to be sanded and varnished most say go for pine wood filler. I happened to pick up some teak colored filler by mistake, instead of pine.

Glad I did, teak filler looks perfect, just like knots in pine. Big difference between doors I have with pine filler and one with teak filler. Pine filler stands out a mile, teak is hard to notice.

If painting over all doors etc, no problem either way, you could even use painters mate.

When using filler, painters mate etc, wipe off excess with wet/damp cloth, no sanding of excess this way.

Advertisement