Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Kilkenny beginning to get colder?

Options
  • 02-01-2010 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

ok, the past month has been pretty much freezing day & night, the long range forecast for january is for more of the same, regardless of the country having a mild atlantic climate, it does bring the question whether the local climate is getting naturally colder not warmer - past experiences may be a clue.

http://www.kilkennyweather.com/index.php/reviewoftempsto1659

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Lord ButterSlip

That is an interesting site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Colder than recent years, but not as cold as record lows . . .

The whole country is currently in its coldest winter since 1962/1963

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Ravage1616

Lots of info on the site and i was looking for some thing like that site earlier on today!

KK is supposedly colder then any of its nearer counterparts apparently because it is rich in marble as we all know and apparently when the marble freezes it contains the cold

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

KK is supposedly colder then any of its nearer counterparts apparently because it is rich in marble as we all know and apparently when the marble freezes it contains the cold

Is this some kind of joke....

• Advertisement

mfitzy wrote: »
    Is this some kind of joke....

Well so the story goes, and sure that's all it could be. i don't know much about the properties of marble to say whether its true or false, i was hoping someone could shed light on the matter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

Kilkenny Marble is actually Limestone and most of the country is covered in that but in fairness I would imagine the heat capacity of one type of rock would be fairly similar to another anyway. They all retain heat quite well don't they?

I would imagine the colder temps is as a result of our distance from the sea which has a warming effect in winter and cooler effect in summer due to its thermal inertia.

If you head up towards Laois and Offaly it gets colder still.

The year-on-year temperature variartions are minimal in the grand scheme of things, they just seem like a long time to us but this goes on for thousands of years.

And indeed some scientists claim global warming has ceased altogether, and we are entering a period of global cooling. I don't necessarily agree with this but an increasing number of people are falling out of favour with the whole man made global warming thing, which is simply too trendy for words these days, isn't it?

Well so the story goes, and sure that's all it could be. i don't know much about the properties of marble to say whether its true or false, i was hoping someone could shed light on the matter

I presume you mean limestone though as Kilkenny does not really have "marble" in the true sense. I think it is just really compressed limestone passed off as marble. Indeed much of co. Kilkenny is under shale and granite.

I don't think that is why Kilkenny may be slightly hotter/colder than other counties, it's more to do with the old KK weatherstation based in Kilkenny which is located in a river valley which influences the temperatures more so. This station has moved to Oakpark, Carlow so we no longer have accurate data on Kilkenny weather anymore :(

I presume you mean limestone though as Kilkenny does not really have "marble" in the true sense. I think it is just really compressed limestone passed off as marble. Indeed much of co. Kilkenny is under shale and granite.

I don't think that is why Kilkenny may be slightly hotter/colder than other counties, it's more to do with the old KK weatherstation based in Kilkenny which is located in a river valley which influences the temperatures more so. This station has moved to Oakpark, Carlow so we no longer have accurate data on Kilkenny weather anymore :(

That's the bloody Cats for ya, trying to pass their limestone off as marble! Proper dodgy geezers!! ;)

You should see what we're trying to pass off as architecture down at the parade.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Teclo

This station has moved to Oakpark, Carlow so we no longer have accurate data on Kilkenny weather anymore

So why then do those people on the weather forecasts give the temperatures for Kilkenny.

It's interpolated

. This station has moved to Oakpark, Carlow so we no longer have accurate data on Kilkenny weather anymore :(

According to Met Eireann we still have a weather station in Kilkenny and is still in use! Link

Ravage1616 wrote: »
    According to Met Eireann we still have a weather station in Kilkenny and is still in use! Link

Yes, but if you look at the Oakpark one, it says it replaced the Kilkenny one in April 2008. Unless the KK is still used for data collection but just not manned anymore perhaps and ran from oakpark :confused:

Yes, but if you look at the Oakpark one, it says it replaced the Kilkenny one in April 2008. Unless the KK is still used for data collection but just not manned anymore perhaps and ran from oakpark :confused:

Actually i think you could be right about that! Kilkenny is not listed in the most updated weather stations. Jebus its saturday night and i'm discussing weather stations! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭gunner11

i think its starting to look like 1740 all over again! now im fortunately too young to possibly remember this, but i hear 1982 was similarly as cold as this winter. and after watching the 6 o'clock news i think theres a fair chance the country will actually stop working by mid next week! -10 in the city this morning!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Ah 1740, the forgotten famine,
    here's a good outline of that event.
    http://www.semp.us/publications/biot_reader.php?BiotID=442

Chilling stuff, and I am not joking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Purry Cat

No, of course Kilkenny isn't getting colder. But I bet we'd have beaten Tullow if the met station were still here...

Purry Cat wrote: »
    No, of course Kilkenny isn't getting colder. But I bet we'd have beaten Tullow if the met station were still here...

I dunno. I was over that way yesterday and just about got home because, snow came down off the Wicklow mountains and fell amazingly quickly. Kilkenny city area did not get the same depth of snow so I'd say we wouldn't have went lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

Purry Cat wrote: »
    There is a decent website called kilkenyweather.com and also a carlowweather.com for those that are interested.. the kilkennyweather site shows lots of useful info!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Getting my mountain bike back tomorrow, yay, can't wait to go up the fields in that snow.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

I'm cold. very cold. Maybe it has something to do with the boiler being on the blink and turning off unexpectedly at all the wrong moments.:mad:

Advertisement