Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greatest Irish Sportsperson

Options
  • 02-01-2010 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭

as voted for by Irish Public. Two Cork people on the top 10. Sonia at # 7 and Roy at #5.

1-Harrington, 2-O'Driscoll, 3-Joey Dunlop, 4-George Best, 6-Sean Kelly

Major injustice here. Sonia not even the best Cork Sportsperson !

Should have been 1. Sonia, 2. Sean Kelly, 3-10 take your pick.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

It's hard to argue with Harrington at no.1. Three majors one. O'Driscoll should swap places with Geogre Best and it's fairly accurate then IMO. Where's Michelle Smith?

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Moro Man

notsofast wrote: »
    as voted for by Irish Public. Two Cork people on the top 10. Sonia at # 7 and Roy at #5.

1-Harrington, 2-O'Driscoll, 3-Joey Dunlop, 4-George Best, 6-Sean Kelly

Major injustice here. Sonia not even the best Cork Sportsperson !

Should have been 1. Sonia, 2. Sean Kelly, 3-10 take your pick.

How could you put Sonia ahead of Sean Kelly. Sonia never really fulfilled her potential on the big stage

Moro Man wrote: »
    How could you put Sonia ahead of Sean Kelly. Sonia never really fulfilled her potential on the big stage

I agree, the Cork bias must be removed, in saying that I wouldn't have Brian O Driscoll at number 2 either. Also calling a spade a spade neither Joey Dunlop nor Vincent O Brien would have figured if they were still alive. I was surprised Tony McCoy wasn't on the list somewhere. Due to the relatively short career George Best had and the way his career went I wouldn't have him so high either, he may well have been the most talented but his flaws were huge, the demon drink having as huge negative influence in his career. Fair enough Harrington getting it, huge achievements on a World stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭notsofast

Moro Man wrote: »

Sonia dominated her event for a decade at world level as did Sean Kelly. (I put her ahead of Kelly based on personal preference although I would rate them pretty equal, AND ahead of all the rest). Harrington has not, O'Driscoll has not. Harrington, competes in an event that has a "Major" every three months. To quote a fellow boardsie, if there was an Olympics every 3 months, Sonia would probably have won around 12 gold medals. She's on a completely level to Harrington. (and I like the guy).

Golf is far more competitive than athletics, he wasn't particularly fancied to win any of them, thus the achievement is far greater. Everyone thought Sonia would be better than she did in her career, promised much, delivered loads yet not quite what she or the fans considered enough.

• Advertisement

RoverJames wrote: »
    Golf is far more competitive than athletics

huh ?????? Designed to provoke rather than grounded in any kind of fact.
    yet not quite what she or the fans considered enough.

Sonia O'Sullivan delivered more in her career than most people can only dream about. Olympic sliver, world gold, world xc gold, european gold, world leading times about 10 times, every Irish record from 800m to 10K (and all of them still stand.)

huh ?????? Designed to provoke rather than grounded in any kind of fact.

Not really, look at the Majors Harrington won, before the first shot was taken or tee'd off whatever the term is how many of the competitors were really fancied ? Quite a few, was Harrington in the top 3 or 5, probably not.

Look at Sonia's medals, was she fancied to win them, yes in most cases. Was she fancied to be placed, yes again.

She was Man Utd playing the likes of Hull, Wigan and maybe Villa over and over again with the odd game against Chelsea or Barcelona thrown in. Harrington is a Villa or Spurs that has won the premier league on 3 occasion.

That's my thinking anyway, I'm not trying to provoke anyone, I don't watch golf and have no real appreciation of Harrington.

............ rather than grounded in any kind of fact.

(and all of them still stand.)

There you go :D

Just because she was better than most of her challengers shouldn't take away from her accomplishments.

Hull City won't ever make the champions league final, just as average runners don't make the world championship finals. Yet, Sonia beat them all.
    Harrington (and I like the guy too), must have played in around 20/25 majors at this stage and won 3. If Sonia had run 25 Olympics/World Championships, we know what would have happened.

Just my tuppenence worth. :)

How many other Irish chaps ever one a Major may I ask ? Compare the answer to the number of majors contested by Irish chaps :)

• Advertisement

If Sonia had run 25 Olympics/World Championships, we know what would have happened.

Lots of upset tummies :D

(joke :))

Re: Roy Keane, I wouldn't have him on any list after the World Cup goings on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Re: Roy Keane, I wouldn't have him on any list after the World Cup goings on.

oh, here we go again...but I'm inclined to agree with you. I'm not a huge golf fan but I agreed with Harrington at the top. Not sure if I would have had Best so high up either.
    Someone mentioned Michelle Smith, suppose it was a safe poll and maybe they didn't want to rattle any cages...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭vag77

i heard no one complain about joey dunlop i know nothing about his sport but i just dont think he deserves 2 b there ppl complain bout vicent o brien being in there the man won 3 grand nationals in 3 different years wit 3 different horses i agree wit harrington for winning it great ambassador for the sport and country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Harrington's Da played for Cork

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭tommmy1979

Why isn't Ronnie Delaney in the top 10?

Check it out.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylo5V4zQd5E

T

P.S:

Golf and Motorsport should not be included in this list.. IMHO:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 dodgycustomer

What about Pat O'Callaghan? 2 Olympic gold medals 1928 and 1932 - hammer thrower. Was he mentioned??

Ronnie Delaney, John Joe Barry??

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭CianDon

Joey Dunlop totally deserves his spot. Definatel one of the greatest un-sung hero's of Irish sport. He dominated the Isle of Man TT's for nearly 20 years, still winning at 48 years of age, and the Northwest 200. Besides that he used fill up his race truck with toys and clothes and head off to orphinages in Romania off his own back. A true legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭nuts86

Think you forgot one other sports man from cork who was at number 8... the greatest of the great Christy Ring!!!!

Re harrington and sonia..... Harrington didnt just win three majors he also has numerous top 10 finishes in majors and tour wins also...

Advertisement