Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Destinations, Ideas and advice needed!

• 02-01-2010 7:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi Everyone,

Bit of an open thread topic but here it goes!!

My girlfriend and I are intending to take a year out next year come September. But we are in a real dilemma as to where to go!!I had originally thought the hole Thailand, Oz, New Zealand route was the best way to go...and work over in Oz for the majority of it. However, she is now thinking that there isnt going to be the work in Oz and we should be looking more towards Canada or the States?

We have also thought about driving some parts of the trip..we both like the idea of this as we think it would be a great way to see the countries. Also, we have thought about doing this in Europe...but we don't think this will take us a year.

This is really our only opportunity to the year thing and we don't want to make a mistake with it!!

So basically were asking...year out...but where too?

P.S were open to all suggestions!Cheers :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭spudmonkey17

Hey Freddie,
    I'm taking a year out once this college year is finished too. I'm starting with a J1 for the summer in America and then probably going to get a year long visa to work in Canada (a year long american visa forces you to work in your area of study). I reckon Canada is a good spot to check out because its economy is bouncing back strong and its reletively close to the states and parts of asia if you wanted to check out other countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I was in Oz last year and the only thing for people on the working holiday visa seemed to be fruit picking and other stuff like house painting if you were lucky. I would say though that if you and your gf are nurses then go for it! Anyway one hostel we stayed at in Perth was full to the rafters with Irish people looking for work. It wasnt like being away at all to be honest. Me and the girlfriend quickly decided to shorten our year away from 12 months to 10 so we could just get out of Australia and continue the rest of our rtw trip.

Looking back I think I would have avoided Australia and New Zeland simply because the costs add up fairly quickly if your not working. Don't get me wrong though they are very nice places especially New Zealand but they can always be done later on in life when you have more money.

Plan on spending loads of time in South East Asia/India, you can get by on between 5-10 euro a day, more if your drinking or travelling on that particular day.

Any questions just ask

Advertisement