Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Its all a bit of a joke

• 02-01-2010 7:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 112 ✭✭

Like a lot of people on here I've been out and about in the last few days driving. I drive a bike and a car, so for the obvious reasons I've been in the car this week.

But I really think the councils are having a laugh. They spend so much money on Advertisement, safe driving campaigns etc... and here we have a situation where a bit of salt can save a lot of hassle and possibly lives. Here is one situation where we have a problem and a solution.

I was watching cars sliding on the Tonlegee Rd in Dublin for the whole day yesterday. Lots of accidents there. I also drove to Longford where I live and the joke was that the N4 was terrible until you got to the private Tolled stretch and then hey, road is perfect. But once that ended I nearly binned myself beside Mullingar.

We had two coppers last month pushing cars up the hill on the R393. Seriously I remember similar situations last year so they can't say they are not ready for it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

I think that the councils have blowen all there money!
    There hoping that in two weeks or less our weather will be back to
    normal, rain rain and more rain. So we'll forget all about it.
    We'll probably be in the same slippy sliddy mess next year.
    Think i might invest in some snow tyres! Because nobodies
    gonna rescue us any time soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

beatman91 wrote: »
    I was watching cars sliding on the Tonlegee Rd in Dublin for the whole day yesterday.
    I was probably one of those suckers - RWD car sliding all over the place, got home and jumped into FWD Megane and no problems :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 112 ✭✭beatman91

macroman wrote: »
    I was probably one of those suckers - RWD car sliding all over the place, got home and jumped into FWD Megane and no problems :D[/QUOTE

Yeah RWD is not the right setup for weather like this. I drove one for a few years and it was hard going in the winter months.

Also the automatics had real problems, when the hit the brakes, the wheels locked and they were picking up speed, when the let go the car was picking up even more speed since the engine kicks in. I don't know how your suppose to drive one of those in the winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

there's a snow button on some automatic transmissions including mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

macroman wrote: »
    I was probably one of those suckers - RWD car sliding all over the place, got home and jumped into FWD Megane and no problems :D

Stick a couple of concrete slabs or cement bags in the boot of the RWD to get some weight on the back and you'll be fine.

As for the Coco's it gets even worse. They also haven't fixed the roads after the flooding that we had, so a lot of rural roads are full of potholes. The road from my place into town is so full of potholes, that you hardly can avoid them. Combine that with ice/frost/snow and you can't do any sudden movements and you'll crack your alloys in no time.

Time to send the CoCo a bill.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭t63m

beatman91 wrote: »
    Like a lot of people on here I've been out and about in the last few days driving. I drive a bike and a car, so for the obvious reasons I've been in the car this week.

But I really think the councils are having a laugh. They spend so much money on Advertisement, safe driving campaigns etc... and here we have a situation where a bit of salt can save a lot of hassle and possibly lives. Here is one situation where we have a problem and a solution.

I was watching cars sliding on the Tonlegee Rd in Dublin for the whole day yesterday. Lots of accidents there. I also drove to Longford where I live and the joke was that the N4 was terrible until you got to the private Tolled stretch and then hey, road is perfect. But once that ended I nearly binned myself beside Mullingar.

We had two coppers last month pushing cars up the hill on the R393. Seriously I remember similar situations last year so they can't say they are not ready for it.

Hi
    See my post on the disgraceful situation in Kilkenny http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055785488.
    See the replies I got they must be all working in the council

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 112 ✭✭beatman91

t63m wrote: »
    Hi
    See my post on the disgraceful situation in Kilkenny http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055785488.
    See the replies I got they must be all working in the council

Lol, I see what you mean. They took the constitution out for your thread. But yeah there is really no excise for this, as far as I know there is only one gritter for this area and that's really not good enough.

If the private stretch of the n4 was no problem, then obviously there is no grit shortage and all that duty of care, well then they should close the roads off and give us an alternative.

I mean they spend so much money on safety this is a no brainier. A bit of ice and the country stops, public services are pulled. Its madness.

And the potholes, I noticed a good few of them today, there is two roads to my house and one of them has such big holes that you could hang your car on them. So I can't use it for the last year.

Oh one last thing, Tesco was all out of salt before Christmas. We won't take it lying down!!!

Advertisement