Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does this CAO term mean

Options
  • 02-01-2010 7:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hey
    What does this CAO term mean exactly “v (In a competition after vacant places were advertised not all vacant place applicants above this point score were offered) “ the points for the course in 2009 was 350,2008 145 and 2007 200.

So did everyone in 2009 need 350 points or more to gain a place on the course ? and what does this term mean ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭christina_x

hmm.. this is just a guess but i think its like say if the course was 300 points. Not all the people who got over the 300 points got a place on the course. So it would be the people with the highest points got the place... i think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

hmm.. this is just a guess but i think its like say if the course was 300 points. Not all the people who got over the 300 points got a place on the course. So it would be the people with the highest points got the place... i think
    Does it not mean that the lowest points anyone got in with was 300?

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭_sparkie_

say if the course had 40 places and 50 people applied. the course is 300 points and all the people get 350. that means even though everybody got the points they will not all get on the course.

at least i think thats what it means.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭RexMundi

_sparkie_ wrote: »
    say if the course had 40 places and 50 people applied. the course is 300 points and all the people get 350. that means even though everybody got the points they will not all get on the course.

at least i think thats what it means.

No...

Points are determined after places are offered not before.

A 300 point course by definition means that the lowest points received by an applicant who was offered a place was 300 points.

What this seems to indicate is that some of the places were given out in an unconventional manner in this "competition" that was done after vacancies in the course could not be filled and that while the lowest points recipent to get a place got 300 points, someone with 305 or 310 didn't get offered a place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Ylem

RexMundi wrote: »
    No...

A 300 point course by definition means that the lowest points received by an applicant who was offered a place was 300 points.

What this seems to indicate is that some of the places were given out in an unconventional manner in this "competition" that was done after vacancies in the course could not be filled and that while the lowest points recipent to get a place got 300 points, someone with 305 or 310 didn't get offered a place.
    Thnx for your help

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

No...

that what it is - I think the reason why they are not given to the person with 310 is because that person failed one of the entry requirements

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

If a course can't fill all of it's places then there are vacant places on the course.This means that anyone can apply for a place regardless of points or if they didn't apply to the Cao earleir this Vacant places list appears on th CAO website after the offers have been made.I think what this term eans is that once vacant places were advertised not everyone above this point score were allocated places as there were too many applicants.However the fact that it appaered on the vacant places list shows that there was not a lot of competition for places when CAO forms were filled out.

Advertisement