Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

X Box 360 Elite or Arcade

• 02-01-2010 8:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭

Hey guys

I'm looking to buy an X Box either Elite or Arcade and I'm a bit confused so I hope someone here can help me.

I don't have broadband and I won't be using the online functionality at all (and no plans to in the future) but I do have games from the original X Box which I would like to be able to play on the new console.

I've tried to research and the main difference between the two seems to be the lack of a hard drive on the arcade version. My old games should still play on the arcade model and I would be able to play all 360 games on the arcade model.

I don't think I'd ever need the other items that come with the Elite though since I won't be using the on line functionality. Therefore I'm thinking I'd be fine to buy the Arcade model. The risk of the red ring of death seems to be the same from what I can tell.

Is there any reason I should go for the elite instead or am I wrong on any of the above? Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

In order to play old xbox games you are required to down load a patch for it 1st. Not sure if you can get these from the Xbox website or if you need to do it from the xbox itself, in which case you need BB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Why go for the elite?
    • It's black - very nice :D
    • It comes with a 120GB hard drive - great for installing plenty of games so that your games load quicker and you don't deafen yourself. Also lessens the wear & tear on the laser - read the whole game once while installing, and never again.
    • You can sell the stuff it comes with like the wireless headset and the bundled games and it can become cheaper than the arcade
    • It's black ...SWISH!

IIRC you need a hard drive to play old xbox games. There is a backwards compatibility partition on the hard drive that your console will download patches for the games to make them run on the xbox 360. These patches are only available for certain original xbox games (full list on xbox.com). If you have other games you wish to play and they don't have a patch then it's best to keep your xbox handy.

You can't download the patches to play old xbox games offline either, just like you can't download updates/bugfixes for 360 games if you're not connected to xbox live - all updates except for Dashboard updates must be done while connected to XBL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

Thanks for the reply folks. Just one point

you mention

"It comes with a 120GB hard drive - great for installing plenty of games so that your games load quicker and you don't deafen yourself. Also lessens the wear & tear on the laser - read the whole game once while installing, and never again."

Does that mean I can play the games with out having the Disk in once I've saved it on the HD? That would be an advantage. Sorry not great with tech stuff :P

Also I checked deals around and so far I'm looking at a deal in Game who have an X Box Elite and 3 games, FIFA 2010, HALO and Modern Warfare for 299.96. I checked HMV and Extravision as well.

Does that mean I can play the games with out having the Disk in once I've saved it on the HD? That would be an advantage. Sorry not great with tech stuff :P

Hah, if it did then nobody would buy games - they'd just rent & install ;)

You need the DVD in the xbox drive before you'll have the option to play it. There's no other way to play a game you have installed. You also need to leave the dvd in the drive at all times while playing, taking it out will just kick you back to the dashboard or it'll all go horribly wrong when the xbox next decides to do a security check (during which time it will query the disc..no disc, no query, check failure, problem :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

You could buy an arcade unit,149,then buy a 20gig hard drive 30euro on boards ie.See adverts ie/ wanted .Unless you are gonna install loadsa games at the same time 20gig is fine.I,D only install maybe 2 or 3 games eg Call of duty4 or burnout paradise because id expect to spend a long time playing all the levels/tracks.Without xbox live you are unlikely to download demo,s or full games,so the 120gig drive would be 80per cent empty.I know you can use the 360 to store ,play mp3,s and videos from usb hardrive,mp3 players,but most people dont do this,if they havent
    got high speed boadband.I dont bother installing 95per cent of the games i buy.I using my 1st 360,3years old 20gig hardrive.if you wanna update the360 to pay old games ,go to a netcafe,download the compatibility file from xbox .com,burn it to a cdr.Insert cd in the 360 ,it,ll scan the cd,say DO YOU WISH
    to apply update,click button,ok,yes .Wait for 3mins til it completes the update.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭marky boii

Hey guys

I'm looking to buy an X Box either Elite or Arcade and I'm a bit confused so I hope someone here can help me.

I don't have broadband and I won't be using the online functionality at all (and no plans to in the future) but I do have games from the original X Box which I would like to be able to play on the new console.

I've tried to research and the main difference between the two seems to be the lack of a hard drive on the arcade version. My old games should still play on the arcade model and I would be able to play all 360 games on the arcade model.

I don't think I'd ever need the other items that come with the Elite though since I won't be using the on line functionality. Therefore I'm thinking I'd be fine to buy the Arcade model. The risk of the red ring of death seems to be the same from what I can tell.

Is there any reason I should go for the elite insteadone. or am I wrong on any of the above? Thanks for your help.
    Get the elite its way better i have 1 see on da arcade u can't play proper games

gamer wrote: »
    You could buy an arcade unit,149,then buy a 20gig hard drive 30euro on boards ie.See adverts ie/ wanted .Unless you are gonna install loadsa games at the same time 20gig is fine.I,D only install maybe 2 or 3 games eg Call of duty4 or burnout paradise because id expect to spend a long time playing all the levels/tracks.Without xbox live you are unlikely to download demo,s or full games,so the 120gig drive would be 80per cent empty.I know you can use the 360 to store ,play mp3,s and videos from usb hardrive,mp3 players,but most people dont do this,if they havent
    got high speed boadband.I dont bother installing 95per cent of the games i buy.I using my 1st 360,3years old 20gig hardrive.if you wanna update the360 to pay old games ,go to a netcafe,download the compatibility file from xbox .com,burn it to a cdr.Insert cd in the 360 ,it,ll scan the cd,say DO YOU WISH
    to apply update,click button,ok,yes .Wait for 3mins til it completes the update.

Most xbox 360 games are around 6.5gb, so all you'd get on a 20 gig hard drive is two games at a time. I've never gotten three, even if I didn't have other media on the drive like savegames I wouldn't have enough room. I also don't play a game from start to finish, so having an array installed just makes life easier for me.

The only page on downloading xbox compatibility files for playing older games on your console that I could find on xbox.com gives you a file that is 12MB big and is dated from November 2007. In actual fact the page says the file is dated from 2005. It appears to me at least that Microsoft abandoned offering xbox compatibility files in an offline form.
    marky boii wrote: »
    Get the elite its way better i have 1

The elite is way better because you have one? Of course..:rolleyes:
    see on da arcade u can't play proper games

Sure, sure :rolleyes: Go away...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭marky boii

Most xbox 360 games are around 6.5gb, so all you'd get on a 20 gig hard drive is two games at a time. I've never gotten three, even if I didn't have other media on the drive like savegames I wouldn't have enough room. I also don't play a game from start to finish, so having an array installed just makes life easier for me.

The only page on downloading xbox compatibility files for playing older games on your console that I could find on xbox.com gives you a file that is 12MB big and is dated from November 2007. In actual fact the page says the file is dated from 2005. It appears to me at least that Microsoft abandoned offering xbox compatibility files in an offline form.

The elite is way better because you have one? Of course..:rolleyes:

Sure, sure :rolleyes: Go away...
    What ever fool

Advertisement