Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bliain Faoi Thrí

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

Final week of the zero to 1650 programme started today. The swim was grand, can't believe the programme works!

Done:
    1 x 1200m
    3 x 100m
    3 x 50m
    Total: 1650m

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

You have some good pace on the running Rmac, just came across your log now and all i can say is convert to kms already:) Good to have another tri log to browse over.

You have some good pace on the running Rmac, just came across your log now and all i can say is convert to kms already:) Good to have another tri log to browse over.

Cheers Jackyback, the running is grand, the biking is ok at best and the swimming is deplorable, but I've plenty of time to put them right!

I find your log entertaining and familiar, in terms of balancing the commitments of a very young family, but unfamiliar in the sheer quantity of training. Very impressive!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

ronanmac wrote: »
    This week will be my last week of the zero to 1650 programme, so I will at least have completed my goal of being able to swim more than a few laps of the pool. Once I'm finished with the programme, I'll look to have a few lessons to figure out some technique work that doesn't involve Youtube (!), and take it from there.

Dont slack off on the distances though, its unreal how the swim fitness can go, I was beginning to get back into it until my two week sojourn and this morning was like starting from scratch. Maybe do Interesteds plan 1 the 1500 metre distance, the excel sheet will match the session times to your pbs!

If you are struggling to find someone to give you a lesson give me a shout, I have a friend who lives beside Ocean Fitness who is a fantastic swimmer. Hes a sound guy so I dont think he would have a problem doing it

Well done on the straight 1200m you are going great guns

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

Ha ha, just spotted your club photo there now!!
    Do you and the other guy share that bike then?

Best of luck, nice bit of publicity there for ye

• Advertisement

catweazle wrote: »

If you are struggling to find someone to give you a lesson give me a shout, I have a friend who lives beside Ocean Fitness who is a fantastic swimmer. Hes a sound guy so I dont think he would have a problem doing it
    Cheers, might take you up on that yet!
    DustyBin wrote: »
    Ha ha, just spotted your club photo there now!!
    Do you and the other guy share that bike then?
    Ironically, the guy without the bike is a former pro cyclist, and has so many bikes that he put two up on donedeal today to make space for a new TT bike!

Yesterday was a reminder of using the time you have for training, because it mightn’t be there later. I got up early, was doing some work on the new tri club and rather than head out for an interval session at 6:30, I kept working and decided to do the intervals at lunch time when the body would be more able for it. Needless to say, it was a crazy day in work, lunch time came and went, and it was eight by the time I got home. Lesson learnt!

Today started with an interval session on the bike... 15.2 miles

Swim at lunchtime, the 1200m definitely felt easier than on Wednesday so that’s a good sign. The next swim is the 1650m and the end of that programme.

Done:
    1 x 1200m
    3 x 100m
    3 x 50m
    Total: 1650m

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Good man Ronan, Tá tu ag dul go maith. (Terrible, I know)

You are really coming on with the swimming. Stick with it - you will have bad days but the good days, such as when you first swim that 600m straight and when you do distances like above easier than the previous swim, these make the bad days a faint memory. Fair play, great training.

Macanri wrote: »
    Good man Ronan, Tá tu ag dul go maith. (Terrible, I know)

You are really coming on with the swimming. Stick with it - you will have bad days but the good days, such as when you first swim that 600m straight and when you do distances like above easier than the previous swim, these make the bad days a faint memory. Fair play, great training.

Tá tú ag dul go maith tú féin, a Mhic an Rí! (far from terrible, spot on accurate!).

Thanks for the encouragement. It's to see improvements, even if there is a long way to go. I'm already looking forward to the Spiddle tri to test all this out, following last year's debut nightmare in Loughrea!

I had a course to attend in Dublin on Saturday, so that killed any training plans, leaving a choice between a run or a cycle for Sunday, along with the final swim in the 0 to 1650 programme. Despite my cycling needing more work, I opted for the run as I have been negligent in this regard for a while now, and with a few races coming up, I need to shape up.

The run was a nice nine miler around various bóithríní, and although I felt it a bit in the legs, it’s been the closest I’ve come yet this year to keeping to the prescribed pace for a long run.

Route: Around An Cheathrú Rua (Bóthar an Chillín, Gleann Mór, Cladhnach and back)
    Distance: 9 miles
    Time: 1:03:24
    Prescribed Pace/Actual Pace: 6:56/7:02
    Perceived Exertion (out of 10): 6.5
    Average HR/Max HR: 162bpm/213 bpm
    Personal Satisfaction: 7.5
    Weather: Breezy, but stayed dry

I came in from the run just before two o’clock, and with the day slipping by, there was little choice but to head into town for the pool pretty much straightaway. I was surpised to see all the lanes in use (a rarity in the pool I use), and got lapped three times by the guy I was sharing a lane with! I felt more tired during this swim that I did during the shorter swim on Thursday, and cramp started to kick in at about 1000 metres, but I’m pretty sure a lot of this was due to the earlier run. I ploughed on, however, and finally got to that 1650 metre mark. I was tired but happy, and in no condition to get on a bike if it were a triathlon! In some ways, I’m amazed that I can now swim that distance at all, considering where my swimming was at when I started out. I am under no illusion, however, regarding the amount of work my swimming needs, as I am very slow, get very tired, and am hopelessly inefficient. I have to look now at where I’m going with the swimming from a training plan point of view. Catweazle has sent me on a copy of Interested’s swim session plan, so that, coupled with some drills, might be a good start.

Done:
    1650m

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Tá tú ag dul go maith tú féin, a Mhic an Rí! (far from terrible, spot on accurate!).

Thanks for the encouragement. It's to see improvements, even if there is a long way to go. I'm already looking forward to the Spiddle tri to test all this out, following last year's debut nightmare in Loughrea!

Ceart go leoir!

Good to hear you are looking forward to racing already. It's what the training is all about, and you get out what you put in. If you keep the training going as well as it is presently then Catweazle will be looking over his shoulder the whole way round - :D.

Not a great week, training-wise, and I suspect it’ll be as much for the next few weeks with all the travelling work-wise. Thinking of doing the duathlon in Caherlistrane tomorrow and having a first face-off against my bike-mad nemesis. My back is playing up again for the past few days so not sure yet if I’ll head out there, should be grand tomorrow though.

Anyway, the week that was:
    Tuesday
    AM
    One-legged bike session

Time: 40:03
    Distance: 16.3 miles
    Average cadence: 82

PM

I tried a new session for the swimming, now that I have the programme I was using finished. Bloody hell, intervals are hard! I was wrecked after it, and felt pretty crap at how it went, but in hindsight, it’s all a learning curve, and now I know that there’s a lot ahead of me, swimming-wise. Annoyingly, this was the only time this week I could get to the pool. The swimming will always be the first to go, unfortunately, due to distance to pool but it’s just a case of managing it best I can for a few weeks, and things will be much easier when the sea warms up a bit.

1300m, various intervals (including an attempted 25m kicking only, which resulted in staying perfectly still with no forward propulsion whatsoever, before sinking :D… I would imagine that it would have been funny to watch from the deck!)

Wednesday
    Supposed to be a six mile tempo session, had to make do with three time-constrained miles on the treadmill. A horrible run, not sure of the pace but about 7:30ish

Thursday

Intervals on the bike
    Time: 42 minutes
    Distance: 19.26 miles
    Average cadence: 82

Friday
    Not getting going at all with the running intervals so far this year. I’m missing (skipping :o) a lot of them, and when I do do them, I drop off the pace considerably. I’m definitely slower, and find them tougher, in the morning, but I suspect that it’s nothing more than time to HTFU!

Route: Home to Cladhnach and back)
    Distance: 5.4 miles (3 X 1 miles intervals)
    Time: 39:39
    Prescribed Pace/Actual Pace: 5:54/6:07, 6:18, 6:32
    Perceived Exertion (out of 10): 8
    Personal Satisfaction: 6
    Weather: Damp

I got a reading this week from a Tanita Body Composition Analyzer, I understand what some of it means (my fat % has come down a lot from the 24.5% three years ago!), but there is a lot of it that I don't know what it means (I've googled BMR, for example, and while I know it means Basal Metabolic Rate, I don't know what my figures mean). If anybody knows, I'd be grateful for input...
    Height: 6ft 1
    Weight: 11st 5.8lb
    BMI: 21.1
    BMR: 7325kJ / 1751 kcal
    Impedance: 483
    Fat%: 5.5
    Fat Mass: 8.8lb
    FFM: 20st 11.0lb
    TBW: 7st 12.6lb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

BMR is the minimum amount of calories your body needs for maintenanace (what you should eat to maintain mass if you were literally lying in bed all day doing nothing).
    I have no Idea what Impedance, FFM or TBW are.

That is a seriously low BodyFat% there. Almost dangerously low :eek:

Bad weeks training myself - we can call it tapering for tomorrow. Hopefully will see you there - bike mad or not you will be too far ahead of me after the run for me to have any chance!

menoscemo wrote: »
    BMR is the minimum amount of calories your body needs for maintenanace (what you should eat to maintain mass if you were literally lying in bed all day doing nothing).
    I have no Idea what Impedance, FFM or TBW are.

That is a seriously low BodyFat% there. Almost dangerously low :eek:

Yeah, yer one said as much... between 5 and 8% is expected on the, ahem, athlete setting. I'm not too sure what to make of it, it's not that I'm the healthiest eater (in an effort to curb chips and the canteen fry, I've given up fried food for February), or that I'm that dedicated with training... plus I eat loads. I'm taking flax oil for the past few days in order to raise up the percentage a little bit.

Bad weeks training myself - we can call it tapering for tomorrow. Hopefully will see you there - bike mad or not you will be too far ahead of me after the run for me to have any chance!

I'd love to take you at your word, but after a winter flying under the radar, I'm not sure I believe you! Will see you there I hope...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

5.5% BF:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Yeah, yer one said as much... between 5 and 8% is expected on the, ahem, athlete setting. I'm not too sure what to make of it, it's not that I'm the healthiest eater (in an effort to curb chips and the canteen fry, I've given up fried food for February), or that I'm that dedicated with training... plus I eat loads. I'm taking flax oil for the past few days in order to raise up the percentage a little bit.

Eating fat will not necessarily raise body fat levels. Fats are broken down by the stomach and lymphatic system, only those excess to the bodys needs will be stored as body fat. Carbs and proteins will also be eventually stored as body fat if your body does not need them for fuel.

Basically if you want to gain bodyfat just eat more!!

How accurate are those body composition analysers though? Before getting worried about low body fat levels I would measure your body fat by calipers to get an accurate reading. At 5.5% you literally wouldn't have a pick on you and six pack would be very visible...

menoscemo wrote: »
    Eating fat will not necessarily raise body fat levels. Fats are broken down by the stomach and lymphatic system, only those excess to the bodys needs will be stored as body fat. Carbs and proteins will also be eventually stored as body fat if your body does not need them for fuel.

Basically if you want to gain bodyfat just eat more!!

How accurate are those body composition analysers though? Before getting worried about low body fat levels I would measure your body fat by calipers to get an accurate reading. At 5.5% you literally wouldn't have a pick on you and six pack would be very visible...

I actually eat loads, but I was wondering about the actual figures from the analysis. Whether they are accurate or not, I do not know, but I do know that there tends to be a big difference if you are put down as an athlete, as opposed to otherwise, so maybe the correct body fat figure is somewhere between the two. As for the six pack, my wife can vouch for its absence...

• Advertisement

The first person I saw when I got out of the car in a field in Caherlistrane was Catweazle. My first and only sporting nemesis. “It’s going to be a long year,” I thought to myself...:D

After what was a bitterly cold and windy day on Saturday, it was a pleasant surprise to get up to a perfectly still and sunny Sunday. My wife and the two boys went with me to Caherlistrane for the spin, and I met Setanta out there for what was our first outing as members of a new triathlon club we’ve just set up in Conamara called TríSpórt.

Run 1
    For a low-key event being organised by Tri Lakes and Predator, it had a lot of heavy weights on the start line. Máirtín Grealish, Ruaidhrí Geraghty and Pádraig Marrey were three I recognised, and the winner of last week’s duathlon, Peadar Harvey, was there as well. Needless to say, when the race started, this bunch, with a few others, hared off. I felt reasonably comfortable at the start, but when I looked at the watch and saw 05:** pace, I backed off a bit as the last thing I wanted was another race with another mutton-headed pacing strategy that held to me dropping badly off the pace later on. Gradually, I picked a few people off, and after putting in a bit of spurt to catch some lad before transition, I eased up slightly to give the lungs a chance.
    Distance: 2.59 miles (4.17km)
    Time: 15:53
    Average Pace: 6:08 (3:48)
    Average HR: 169
    Max HR: 177

T 1
    Transition was straightforward enough, but taking the Garmin off the quick release strap before putting the helmet on caused me a bit of confusion, so I’ll know not to do that again.
    Time: 36 sec

Cycle
    I passed Pádraig Marrey on the run, but I knew it wouldn’t be long before I’d be seeing him again on the bike. Sure enough, he flew past me after a mile. I passed some guy myself shortly after that, and passed three in total. I was curious as to how the bike would be as this year has been the first time I’ve ever really done any consistent work on the trainer. I felt the first third of the cycle tough as I was settling into it, but notably, I was keeping better concentration and not weaving all over the place as I have been in previous races. It was also the first time I’ve been able to keep an average pace of over 20 mph, so while that isn’t really all that fast, it’s quantifiable progress for me. My back, which had been at me over the weekend, was beginning to tire about half way through, so I had to come up off the aero bars on occasion for a break, but overall, I was happy with the bike.
    Distance: 10:86 miles (17.48km)
    Time: 31:29
    Average Speed: 20.7mph (33.3kph)
    Average HR: 166
    Max HR: 175

T2
    T2 was pretty much without incident, except for my two year old screaming “Daddy” as I ran past him up the road. Not too impressed that I didn’t stop for a chat!
    Time: 34 sec

Run 2
    I was expecting the second run to be savage on the legs, and while that running in soup sensation was there, it wasn’t as bad as I expected. Pace was decent when I looked down at the watch, but when I looked behind me, I could see someone closing in fast. It turned out to be Peadar Harvey, who I passed on the bike, but who is a superb runner and who closed the gap quickly and seemingly effortlessly. After a while, I saw Máirtín Grealish come my way from the turnaround, and started counting to see where I was. After Grealish, it was Geraghty, Marrey, some guy I didn’t recognise, Harvey in fifth and then me. That’s how it stayed, and fortunately, there was enough of a gap between me and seventh place that meant there was no wretch-inducing sprint needed at the end!
    Distance: 2.63 (4.24)
    Time: 16:55
    Average Pace: 6:25 (3.59)
    Average HR: 169
    Max HR: 174

I saw Catweazle, who was looking comfortably within himself, on the way to the turnaround when I was heading for home, and he was in shortly after me. Setanta was another few places back. All in all, a very nice day, and personally delighted with where I am. I realise that I need a lot more work on the bike but it’s good to see some progress.
    Overall:
    Time: 1:05:29
    Average HR: 168
    Max HR: 178
    Placing: 6th
    Percentage of field: 12.5%

My arch-nemesis (656) and I in deep post-race analysis :D:
    181596_10150409672785724_468877145723_17373614_1922704_n.jpg

I need to suck in my belly when i am standing beside you I am on a hiding to nothing, every time I see a picture of myself I think christ I am going bald :o

Great bike by you, I thought I went well myself but I would only have been around that also if not even a little bit slower. I was under 2 minute ks except for an awful 2.26, going up a small hill surprise surprise!

Results are now up, don't know that guy that came 4th but he was another strong runner to leave Grealish trailing behind on the run

http://www.sportsmanager.ie/cake/gaa2/predator/news/31435/u_t_lo_ou_d_ult

Tuesday
    AM
    Back on the road again with work, so a 40 minute isolated leg turbo session had ten minutes knocked off it so that I could be on my way in time. Pretty average session, I’m not entirely sure of the benefit of the one-legged sessions. Any opinions?
    Duration: 30:09
    Distance: 8.61 miles (13.86km)
    Average / Max HR: 125/151

PM
    A visit to the pool on the way from my travels. I notice that if I’ve been away from the pool now for any spread of a few days that the swimming feels much more difficult. This just felt miserable. I found myself talking to myself a lot during this session (“it should just be duathlons, you know…”), but just before I was going to get out of the pool, I noticed that if I had my head deeper in the water, I was more balanced and the swim was less of a struggle. Now it was just the breathing that was a struggle! Anyway, at least a vaguely positive way to finish a not so positive session.

Done:
    1250m intervals

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

I’m not entirely sure of the benefit of the one-legged sessions. Any opinions?
    IMO I wouldn't bother with them. Maybe if one leg was weaker than the other they'd be of benifit. Also possibly they could develop a more rounded pedal stroke but if your only doing a few bike sessions a week I wouldn't bother. Purely my opinion based on nothing but breakfast musings.

nomadic wrote: »
    IMO I wouldn't bother with them. Maybe if one leg was weaker than the other they'd be of benifit. Also possibly they could develop a more rounded pedal stroke but if your only doing a few bike sessions a week I wouldn't bother. Purely my opinion based on nothing but breakfast musings.

Cheers for that, nomadic. That's kind of what I was thinking myself. With only two midweek cycling sessions, I reckon I should be doing something else to get more out of the session than the one-legged jobs. I'll stick with the pyramid intervals. Any suggestions for a second workout?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

Cheers for that, nomadic. That's kind of what I was thinking myself. With only two midweek cycling sessions, I reckon I should be doing something else to get more out of the session than the one-legged jobs. I'll stick with the pyramid intervals. Any suggestions for a second workout?

Are they all turbo sessions? I'm avoiding the dreaded turbo at all costs so I'm fairly useless for turbo sessions. Maybe something like the infamous 2 x 20 min at your 1 hour pace or some big gear work with low cadence or short really hard intervals. There's plenty of turbo junkies on here to give you some proper sessions. If its outside maybe some hill repeats or general hammering it session.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Well done in the duathlon. Looks like I missed a good event.

With regard 1 legged cycling - I'd agree with Nomadic. They are good for getting rid of inbalances and dead spots in your pedal stroke. When I first started doing them I had a clunk at the top of my left up stroke.

Why not add them to your warm-up, 30secs 1 leg, 30secs both and repeat x number of times.

I could be wrong but I think HC drills help more than 1 legged drills

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

I tried doing the single leg thing once and really really struggled
    I unclipped the foot not being used and had massive big dead spots at the top of each stroke, may try it again to see if the high cadence stuff has made any improvements
    Didn't have a stool to put the other foot on, so ended up mashing my water bottle holder looking for somewhere to put my foot :o

Well done on the duathlon, that's an excellent result. The run less run faster thing is really after working for you

You need to focus on staying down on the tri bars as well, you have admitted as much yourself. You weren't able to stay down for the 30 minutes of the race last week. Come Galway 70.3 with its long straights you will need to be down on them for 2.30+ hours. Just introduce them gradually in some shape or form, 10 minutes every 30 minutes on the turbo down on them and build it up from there, the position comes more natural after a while

When you go on the long bike with friends you will feel like a gobsh1te down on them if you are all just chatting away admiring the scenery which tends to happen so the turbo while the weather is cold is the time to get used to them

• Advertisement

nomadic wrote: »
    Are they all turbo sessions? Maybe something like the infamous 2 x 20 min at your 1 hour pace or some big gear work with low cadence or short really hard intervals.

Two midweek turbo sessions, and a Sunday spin outside. Will try your suggestions.
    pgibbo wrote: »
    Why not add them to your warm-up, 30secs 1 leg, 30secs both and repeat x number of times.

I could be wrong but I think HC drills help more than 1 legged drills

Good idea on the warmup. What are HC drills?
    You need to focus on staying down on the tri bars as well, you have admitted as much yourself. You weren't able to stay down for the 30 minutes of the race last week. Come Galway 70.3 with its long straights you will need to be down on them for 2.30+ hours. Just introduce them gradually in some shape or form, 10 minutes every 30 minutes on the turbo down on them and build it up from there, the position comes more natural after a while

But if I use the tribars, where will I leave the speaker for the iPod?:D
    Good suggestion, Catweazle, I need to get used to that position.

Advertisement