Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ATM charges in NI

Options
  • 02-01-2010 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭

I have an account with Bank of Ireland. I go to the North quite a lot and usually withdraw money on BOI or AIB machines. I have used an Ulster Bank one before too actually. I have never been charged ATM or Cirrus charges for this. Last week I used the Northern Bank ATM at Belfast train station and just looking at my account online there, I was charged E8.54 for doing this. Why was I charged on this occasion but never before?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Are you sure you weren't charged with ulsterbank/aib. I have a 26county boi account and the boi machines are only ones in the north who don't charge me

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Are you sure you weren't charged with ulsterbank/aib. I have a 26county boi account and the boi machines are only ones in the north who don't charge me

I've found the same thing, I've never been charged using BOI machines but using AIB/First Trust I have been charged. The only reason I can think of that Northern Bank would result in charges when the others didn't, is that Northern Bank is part of the Danske Bank group, and they use a different ATM infrastructure than the other banks do. If you're in the Republic and you use an NIB (Northern Bank's southern counterpart) machine, it will appear on your account as a Cirrus transaction, although you won't be charged for it, as it's Euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

Toots* wrote: »
    I've found the same thing, I've never been charged using BOI machines but using AIB/First Trust I have been charged. The only reason I can think of that Northern Bank would result in charges when the others didn't, is that Northern Bank is part of the Danske Bank group, and they use a different ATM infrastructure than the other banks do. If you're in the Republic and you use an NIB (Northern Bank's southern counterpart) machine, it will appear on your account as a Cirrus transaction, although you won't be charged for it, as it's Euro.

Ok thanks Toots*.... I'll know to avoid Northern Bank in future then.

Advertisement