Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Depression - Private Care?

Options
  • 02-01-2010 8:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭

Hi,

I've had depression and social anxiety for 6 years now. I went to my GP about it 3 years ago and was referred to a physiatrist. Since then I've had CBT for the anxiety and a loads of meds for the depression which have not really worked at all.

I am wondering if there are any private options available? Ideally I'd like to go inpatient.

What are you thoughts and suggestions if you're allowed to name.

Really at the end of my tether here and would really appreciate some input. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

there are two private in-patient facilities in ireland.

both are in dublin

st john of god's , which is in stilorglin

st pat's which is opposite heuston

gp can refer you to either place

(i;m not sure if you can self-refer - phone them and ask)

good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭C_Dawg

Cheers for the quick reply :-)

I'll give them both a look up.

Thanks very much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭glaston

www.stjohnofgodhospital.ie
    I know some people who have used John of God for stress etc, outcome was positive, good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭C_Dawg

Thanks for the replies so far :-)

I've checked out the sites for both mentioned and they both seem very professional.

However I've seen it mentioned on another thread here that private care like this is extremely costly (I think it was €475 for assessment, €150 follow ups, €600 a day for inpatient.) Are these realistic figures do you know?

Also I'm from Waterford so getting up and down if only for day services might be tricky. This along with cost might be the deciding factor for going or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

do you have private health insurance?

if so, that will cover in-patient costs, afaik.
    not sure about out-patient services though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bob50

st patricks hosp in dublin 8 is very good however they are a private hosp & you would need vhi quinn etc if you have these it shouldnt be a problem you cant self refer so tell your gp to get in touch with hosp so that you can be followed up

otherwise public a friend of mine was in the jonathan swift clinic in st james hosp dublin 8 for 2 weeks last year 2009

he was suffering with anxiety & depression and went to theier a&e unit & they admiited him he was lucky hope you get sorted soon

Advertisement