Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blackberry Bold 9700

Options
  • 02-01-2010 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

I've a new Blackberry bold and I'm trying to set up my gmail account, however the only option it is giving me is to set up a work account.

Anyone know how I can fix this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 ceauke

Hi there

Sorry, no idea to fix it but was hoping you can give me some info. I need to get a BB but don't know which network etc. Maybe you did the research already :-D

I don't really care about free texts etc. But can you tell how much you're paying for email and roaming email? I don't know why this is so difficult to find on the mobile websites.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭boarder777

Flyte, have you got bis on your account? With o2 is 15e a month. With o2 for a 1mb in europe is 5e. In other countries 10e for 1mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Aloysius Flyte

Thanks for the replies.

I'm UK based, so its was free and a very good deal - why is it that in Ireland the same phone costs more and you get a much worse deal?:mad:

It's not a business package, but I still get free internet and e-mail. Sorry I can't be of any help when chosing a package

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

So which network did you buy it on and is your BIS set up? Normally you go to the BIS login page and add an account from there and it will send service books to the phone

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Shades799

Well Lads\Lassies,

I've done my research on the phone and I think I'm gonna make it my next purchase. Two quick questions though.

Is there a difference between the Blackberry 9700 and the Blackberry 9700 Bold. On the O2 site it's mentioned as 9700 but I have a feeling the name is interchange able.

Also, does anyone have any warnings on this phone? I know there are always horror stories but I'd like to hear from some people who have it.

• Advertisement

9700 or 9700 Bold, its still the same phone. Its also known as the 9700 Onyx. Even STILL, its the same phone!
    9700 is the model, it was codenamed the Onyx during development but RIM did not keep the name for marketing and they called it the Bold as the successor to the 9000 Bold.

As for the phone itself? Its the best Blackberry yet. Absolutely love it. No faults that I can think of. Read a few reviews of the Bold 9700 and you'll see that most websites, bloggers and Blackberry users will describe it as the best Blackberry that RIM have ever produced. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

+1 on it being the best BB ever and I'm talking from the perspective of someone who's tried a lot of 'Smartphones' right from the early BB's and Palm Treo's. The 9700 is by far the best performing and I've no negative issues with it whatsoever.

One issue I do have is that I haven't been able to find a Skype application for the phone or any other VOIP type application. I make a lot of international calls and that is a big issue for me.

I did however get a flyer from Three today advertsing the 9700 "with Skype preinstalled" so at the risk of highjacking the thread can anyone shed any light on this and more importantly where I can download a version which will work on my 9700 on the V odafone network!!

Regards,

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

BenEadir wrote: »

I did however get a flyer from Three today advertsing the 9700 "with Skype preinstalled" so at the risk of highjacking the thread can anyone shed any light on this and more importantly where I can download a version which will work on my 9700 on the V odafone network!!

Regards,

Ben

Three are going into blackberrys? That'd be great news if they do free skype too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

+1 on it being the best BB ever and I'm talking from the perspective of someone who's tried a lot of 'Smartphones' right from the early BB's and Palm Treo's. The 9700 is by far the best performing and I've no negative issues with it whatsoever.

One issue I do have is that I haven't been able to find a Skype application for the phone or any other VOIP type application. I make a lot of international calls and that is a big issue for me.

Regards,

Ben
    Have you tried skype.com/m from your phone's browser? If the app is available, you should be able to get it there (think it's still in development though...)
    Failing that, you could try something like im+ (not free, but there's a trial on the blackberry app store)

I've only played around with my gf's 9700 a little but love it to bits. Keypad isn't as nice to use as the 9000 mind you

To answer the OP's question - you need to have BIS added to your phone package, just standard web browsing won't cut the mustard I'm afraid... You should be able to add a gmail account when this is done. (had the same problem myself - unlocked phone on O2 UK)
    Annoyingly you can't use the gmail app either until you switch over to BIS

Have you tried Truphone??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Truphone is only compatible with BB OS 4. It's not compatible with ther 9700 or any BB phone running OS 5.0. :mad:

Advertisement