Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

6 weeks backpacking

• 02-01-2010 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

I'm hoping to go backpacking for about 6 weeks, from the last week in July. I haven't a clue where to go, but i want to party, see a bit of the world, take in a bit of culture and not spend an absolute mint. i'd be hoping to do the whole lot for about 3.5-4k, including flights.

central america really appeals to me, but i've heard its a bit dangerous at the moment. SE asia appeals also, but 6 weeks may not be long enough? south america appeals to me also, but i know nothing about it. basically i haven't a clue.

i'm 22, almost finished college, starting work in late september. there'd be a few of us going. suggestions please.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

3-4K .... you could afford 6months travelling around europe.

2-3K could cover you for thailand ....5-6weeks would be enough to travel and see the country and maybe some of its neighbours....and you might have some money left over.

all I can say is.... ya lucky fecker ...no matter what you choose hopefully you'll have a laugh and plenty of good experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭the long lad

well 4k would be the absolute max and most of it will be a loan (hopefully). lucky to be going into a job and haven't needed a student loan, and its my last chance to do something like this for a long time i reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

I think you would be OK on the southern end of Central America: Nicaragua, Costa Rica and Panama. I would not go to Guatemala, Honduras or El Salvador right now. Nicaragua is REALLY cheap, and you can live quite well on the Pacific coast (especially travelling in the group) for under $20/day. Costa Rica is more expensive, but it is the most beautiful of the three - both the mountains and the beaches are amazing. That said, I loved Panama the most out of the three - not as much as CR, but Panama City is amazing - like Miami, but 1/4 of the cost. Panama City is a cool way to end a CA trip, since it has the best nightlife in the region...and some of the best looking people I've ever seen, anywhere. :)

The one thing I would say is that the Caribbean coast in both Nicaragua and CR can be a little dicey (especially Nicaragua) because of the narcotrafficking. But the Pacific coast is beautiful and less rainy. And in Panama, the Darien Gap along the Colombian border is definitely a no-go zone. Other than that, as long as you are careful (no wandering around at 3am, etc), you should be OK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 685 ✭✭✭darrenh

I'd say pick a spot in Central or South America. South America is amazing. Check my blog if you want. Something might interest you.
    http://www.travelblog.org/Bloggers/Wanderly-Wagon/Trips/2613

My highlights would be

Perito Moreno Glacier - Argentina
    Iguasu Falls - Brazil/Argentina
    Salt Flats - Bolivia
    Inca Trail - Peru

There are hundreds others but you only have 6 weeks. Its a huge continent. Everyone who has been to Columbia has said it's the best in South America and no longer dangerous. Unfortunately I haven't got to go there...... YET!

Enjoy whatever you decide on. I'm just back home and very depressed!

Advertisement