Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Insurance question - skidded on ice

• 02-01-2010 9:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,
    I was out driving on the local ice rink, car started to fish-tail and I left the road and hit some railings. Due to the harsh conditions, I was going 10 km/h tops, and the front left wheel took the brunt of the impact. Now the steerings out of whack, left front wheel is not aligned with the rest of them. My dad said it sounds like the chassis could be damaged, so before I ring the insurance to let them know what happened, is this sort of thing covered by insurance or will they tell me it was an act of god, thanks for playing? (Fully-comp, male driver, 26 years old, 123.ie).

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Profiler

If you have comprehensive cover then it is covered.

The cause of the accident isn't an act of God by the way, it's an act of you!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Kev80

Yes once you have comprehensive this incident would be covered but check your policy to see what the excess is. The excess is the amount which will not be covered by the insurance company. It's normally a couple of hundred euro but can vary between different companies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭cml387

Highly unlikely your chassis is bent at that low a speed.Likely a bent wishbone or some such. Should be fairly straightforward and it might not be worth bothering your insurance company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Hi everyone,
    I was out driving on the local ice rink, car started to fish-tail and I left the road and hit some railings. Due to the harsh conditions, I was going 10 km/h tops, and the front left wheel took the brunt of the impact. Now the steerings out of whack, left front wheel is not aligned with the rest of them. My dad said it sounds like the chassis could be damaged, so before I ring the insurance to let them know what happened, is this sort of thing covered by insurance or will they tell me it was an act of god, thanks for playing? (Fully-comp, male driver, 26 years old, 123.ie).

Thanks.

If you where only doing 10km/h then there's little chance of chassis damage. Most likely your tracking/alignment and some suspension/wheel damage is all that's wrong.

Edit.
    Just noticed cml387 beat me to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Nothing to do with God, you chose to drive in those conditions and it bit you. Insurance company will treat it just the same as if you had an accident on a warm summers day. I would definitely have the damage properly looked at though as it could be a straight forward enough fix and not worth loosing your ncb over.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

great, thanks for all the replies! I'll give them a buzz now in case I have to claim for it later on.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Im in the exact same problem. Im getting onto the insurance co anyway, as I have breakdown assistance, so Im going to get them to tow me to a local mechanic for free :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

antodeco wrote: »
    Im in the exact same problem. Im getting onto the insurance co anyway, as I have breakdown assistance, so Im going to get them to tow me to a local mechanic for free :D

i like it! i was only 5 mins from home, ironically the iciest part of the trip, so I just skidded home. Rang them there, the poor girl said the phones were off the hook all night. Anyway, hope you weren't hurt! Cars can be fixed, nerve tissue, not so much

Advertisement