Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is the cold weather affecting my gear change?

• 02-01-2010 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

Hi folks,

Driving my car today the gears started to stick really badly. Felt clumpy like someone had poured pebbles into it...really had to force the gear stick to change gears - especially between 1st and 2nd - felt like it was gonna snap off. Also it doesn't seem to get any better as the car heats up (though they've been fairly short jaunts 15 mins there and back but the car is well warmed up before going out)

I need to replace the gearbox when i have enough cash anyway as it doesn't engage 5th and it was always a bit rough/clumpy in engaging reverse - but its never been like this in terms of driving.

I'm driving less than a year so this is my first experience of driving in these conditions but up until today the car's been fine, no problems starting her etc and the gears have been fine (no worse than quirks before the big freeze) and as i was saying other than this problem with gears she's been grand driving around in the current conditions.

Anyone know what it could be or what i could do???

Thanks
    DrF

Ps: (Car is a 98 VW Polo Classic)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Its hard to say if the cold weather is your problem given that your bearbox is knackered anyway but in short the answer is yes cold weather can make gear changes harder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

You might want to try some good quality Gearbox oil, drain and refill.
    Its not that expensive or hard to do, Id recommend Redline (D4 ATF, MTL or MT90 depending on if you car uses ATF or Gearbox Oil). There is a good an competitive reseller of Redline fluids in Dunboyne (only one here I know of).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I would check for leaks around the seals of the gearbox and road / driveway. Mine is a bit rough in the cold for about 5 or so miles. What I do is double clutch and it makes the gear changes a little smoother. It might work for you until you get it sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭biblio

If your Polo has a similar gearbox to the Seat Ibiza that I have , give this a try on top of the gearbox there is a mechanism that gets stuck in cold weather. Have a look under the bonnet and get someone to move the gear lever (with the engine off!) In the right hand side of the engine bay you will see the gear linkage moving. Under this linkage there is a metal plunger that slides in and out depending on the gear selected. make sure this plunger is clean , and shiny give it a clean and a lube with a spray of WD40 or similar . If this doesnt make the gear change better then get a mechanic to check it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Mine is definitely harder in the cold. And that's just after a full rebuild

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,251 ✭✭✭Juwwi

Is 1st gear the 1 thats giving most trouble?

I have sort of noticed this problem myself a polo aswell.

Only in 1st gear tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Bobo78

I have the same "problem" with my Mazda 6 it s only when you start it first time in the day that the gearbox feels very sticky especially second gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭DrFroggies

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Its hard to say if the cold weather is your problem given that your bearbox is knackered anyway but in short the answer is yes cold weather can make gear changes harder.

Cheers at least i know it's probably not just a coincidence.
    Matt Simis wrote: »
    You might want to try some good quality Gearbox oil, drain and refill.
    Its not that expensive or hard to do, Id recommend Redline (D4 ATF, MTL or MT90 depending on if you car uses ATF or Gearbox Oil). There is a good an competitive reseller of Redline fluids in Dunboyne (only one here I know of).

Like i say...i'm new to the auld driving/car ownership stuff i recently gave her an oil and filter change (Exol 10W40 Optima Vimax Semi Synthetic) and noticed an improvement in all functions but from what i can make out you're saying there's a specific gearbox oil i should/could use is that right?
    Hal1 wrote: »
    I would check for leaks around the seals of the gearbox and road / driveway. Mine is a bit rough in the cold for about 5 or so miles. What I do is double clutch and it makes the gear changes a little smoother. It might work for you until you get it sorted.

Haven't noticed any leakage on the driveway but i'll give the seals of the gearbox a look over...when you say double clutch do you mean just pressing down on the clutch twice before engaging the gear?
    biblio wrote: »
    If your Polo has a similar gearbox to the Seat Ibiza that I have , give this a try on top of the gearbox there is a mechanism that gets stuck in cold weather. Have a look under the bonnet and get someone to move the gear lever (with the engine off!) In the right hand side of the engine bay you will see the gear linkage moving. Under this linkage there is a metal plunger that slides in and out depending on the gear selected. make sure this plunger is clean , and shiny give it a clean and a lube with a spray of WD40 or similar . If this doesnt make the gear change better then get a mechanic to check it out.

Ok cheers for the details there...I'll check this out...is it safe to use WD40 on a transmission part?

I actually forgot to mention i checked the gears with the engine off and they were fine...much smoother the problem only occurs when the engine is running.

Thanks for all the tips so far guys...think i'll have to get the auld Haynes Manual out or maybe chance taking her on a longer drive to see if the problem subsides after 30 mins or so driving - what do you think?

Yeah, double clutch it. It will give you easier gear changes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

DrFroggies wrote: »
    Haven't noticed any leakage on the driveway but i'll give the seals of the gearbox a look over...when you say double clutch do you mean just pressing down on the clutch twice before engaging the gear?

Clutch once into neutral, and then again into gear.

• Advertisement

Hal1 wrote: »
    Yeah, double clutch it. It will give you easier gear changes.
    testicle wrote: »
    Clutch once into neutral, and then again into gear.

Cheers Lads! I'll give that a try ;-)

Incidently could the clutch cable be affected by the frost?

It might have stretched a bit, a mechanic will be able to check it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

DrFroggies wrote: »

Like i say...i'm new to the auld driving/car ownership stuff i recently gave her an oil and filter change (Exol 10W40 Optima Vimax Semi Synthetic) and noticed an improvement in all functions but from what i can make out you're saying there's a specific gearbox oil i should/could use is that right?

The oil I was referring to goes in the Gearbox itself, which requires a bit more work and tools then the engine oil you are referring to above. 10w is a tad thick IMO too, wouldnt really be helping you in this weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭suey71

Sorry to hijack this thread but could a similar problem happen with automatic gearboxes?

Lately when I accelarate the car shudders badly.

There is also a little oil under the car lately.

I posted a thread earlier about this wondering if it might be dirty petrol, but now I'm not so sure.

Thanks again guys...not sure what i'm gonna do!

Double clutching doesn't seem to have much affect on it unfortunately and i can't afford to have it looked at by a mechanic even just backing it out of the driveway for a few minutes yesterday it was a struggle to get it out of reverse and back into neutral...and the grinding sound is BAD.

Thing is, its like butter once the engine is off...but once she's running its virtually impossible. I wish this cold snap would end so i'd at least know if it was mainly a weather problem or if the weather has caused more pemanent damage???

suey71 - You're very bold...hijacking is naughty:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

same happens me gearbox perfect in normal temps just in this cold weather although around me has been as low as -13 over last 3 weeks was -8 this morning

Advertisement