Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price of Bulmers

Options
  • 02-01-2010 10:13pm
    Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭

What is the price of a pint of Bulmers when you go out? In my local nightclub it was 5e and now is 4.80 with the budget cut.

But I also thought there was a campaign not long ago saying Bulmers pint bottles will be cheaper from now on but I havent seen a change at all.

So with two supposed major reducations all we save is 20c...:confused:
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

The more you drink, the more you save.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

Sean_K wrote: »
    The more you drink, the more you save.

The problem with Bulmers is that the more the Irish public drinks the more expensive it gets. Bulmers is the biggest rip off going and seemingly they have tonnes of the stuff but are loathe to discount it so as not not de-premiumise (sic) it.

When I started drinking Bulmers Pint botles was the cheapest pint on the market by a long shot. Now it is the most expensive and it is not even good cider. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

The problem with Bulmers is that the more the Irish public drinks the more expensive it gets. Bulmers is the biggest rip off going and seemingly they have tonnes of the stuff but are loathe to discount it so as not not de-premiumise (sic) it.

When I started drinking Bulmers Pint botles was the cheapest pint on the market by a long shot. Now it is the most expensive and it is not even good cider. :mad:

re: the highlighted bit.

it's the worst cider out there in my opinion, god awful stuff that's just glorified cidona but it's loved by the masses so it will stay expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I remember you posted this before, I can never recall a time when it was the cheapest pint, somebody else said this too. I remember when the pint bottle was introduced very well, I do not EVER recall seeing a pint bottle being cheaper than a normal pint of bulmers. I also do not ever recall a pint of bulmers being cheaper than guinness in any pub I have ever been in, and cannot recall guinness being cheaper than beamish in any pubs.

How much do you think the bottles costed? I could not imagine it being cheaper than beamish "by a long shot".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,249 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Cider was once a lower duty than beer, this was changed in a budget, i'd guess 10 years ago nearly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭smithy1981

DB10 wrote: »
    What is the price of a pint of Bulmers when you go out? In my local nightclub it was 5e and now is 4.80 with the budget cut.

But I also thought there was a campaign not long ago saying Bulmers pint bottles will be cheaper from now on but I havent seen a change at all.

So with two supposed major reducations all we save is 20c...:confused:

Bulmers reduced their price months ago by 10% but most places haven't passed on the savings.

rubadub wrote: »
    I remember you posted this before, I can never recall a time when it was the cheapest pint, somebody else said this too. I remember when the pint bottle was introduced very well, I do not EVER recall seeing a pint bottle being cheaper than a normal pint of bulmers. I also do not ever recall a pint of bulmers being cheaper than guinness in any pub I have ever been in, and cannot recall guinness being cheaper than beamish in any pubs.

How much do you think the bottles costed? I could not imagine it being cheaper than beamish "by a long shot".

This was back in the mid eighties ... :o it was a time of bad fashion bad hair do's and bad cider ;) I didn't like it then and I don't like it now.

Bulmers was in bottles only and was the choice cheap pint or the day, you could also get it in half pint bottles ~(Same style bottle as a cidona bottle or 7up at the time and not trendy long necks). Pernod & black or Rum & black was the choice cheapo spirit :P And the black was a free dash of blackcurrant ... does anybody do this any more :D

Beamish may have been a close second but I always thought that the stouts were grouped fairly close together.

My vague recollection was a Pint Bottle of Bulmers was IR£1.30 A guiness as it was my drink was IR£1.50 and Larger was about 10p dearer again. It was also a time when Dublin charged about 10p (12.7 cents :p ) more than the country and not a Euro like now :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Cider was once a lower duty than beer, this was changed in a budget, i'd guess 10 years ago nearly
    I think it used to be the same duty as beer, but duty was increased on just cider to try and stop knacker drinkers attraction to it.
    smithy1981 wrote: »
    Bulmers reduced their price months ago by 10% but most places haven't passed on the savings.
    Yes, the price to the publican dropped 10%, i.e. it dropped very little since publicans pay very little compared to what we do, so people should not have expected a €8 bottle to drop 80cent (and yes some bars charge more than €8 for a bottle)
    This was back in the mid eighties
    I would have guessed it came out in the early 90's I would have said 93 or 94 (unless it was out before and taken off the market). I am sad to say I used to drink the muck (I loved cidona as a kid and despise it now because of bulmers;)). Many of my mates used to drink it and I can remember well when pint bottles came out (well possibly the second time) since we had little money we would have arguments if lads got it in rounds since it costed more than a normal pint of bulmers which was already a little dearer than a pint of lager.

If pint bottles were cheaper than beamish then a longneck of bulmers must have been extremely cheap, and I just cannot see how this would logically be the case.
    My vague recollection was a Pint Bottle of Bulmers was IR£1.30 A guiness as it was my drink was IR£1.50 and Larger was about 10p dearer again.
    I cannot find a mention of when it was introduced on the bulmers website but can only find this page. Seems to be from the 90's or late 80's (though the site says 2000:confused:)

http://www.mail-archive.com/usma@colostate.edu/msg04219.html
    A pint of Bulmers will set you back an average of just £1 at the offy, but in a Dublin boozer you’ll fork out around £3 for the same drink.

Furious cider shoppers throughout Ireland bombarded our special Pub Spy drinks hotline ro vent their fury at what many termed ‘THE GREAT CIDER RIP-OFF’.
    I started drinking around 1991 and never remember it being only £1 so reckon it was earlier.
    Long Neck bottles of Bulmers, like lager long necks – are the biggest rip off.

We found that in 80% of boozers that bother to stock them, a 330 ml long neck bottle was MORE EXPENSIVE than a draught pint of the very same alco apples. The same long-neck bottle that retails at near £3 a throw can be bought for just £1.35 in the off-licence. Even when government taxes are taken into consideration, the mark-up is still phenomenal.
    £1.35 sounds right to me for ~91, longnecks were always a rip off and I remember the pubs overpricing of longnecks was exposed very well since they increased the pint bottles to be somewhat inline with longneck prices.
    Bulmers have spent a fortune advertising the pint bottle of cider. The ad shows a contented punter topping up his ice-filled pint glass with golden Bulmers time after time. But cider drinkers, who phoned the Sunday World, are sick to the teeth with being charged in average 40p more for the privilege of drinking from a pint bottle....

Scruffy Murphys on Mount Street was also very expensive for a pint bottle of cider. It came in at £3, 20p more than it costs for a cider on draught there. Just ten minuts from Scruffy’s the Harold House was serving pint bottles for a reasonable £2.55 a throw – 45p cheaper. At the popular Tara Tavern in Finglas a pint of Bulmers retailed at £2.60 in the lounge. The pint bottle cost £2.95.

One of the cheapest draught pints of cider we found outside the capital was at Baretts’s Bar in Ballinhassig, co. Cork. There a pint costs £2.35, with a pint bottle selling for just £2.60.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

was in messers a few weeks ago, was being charged 6.90 for a pint bottle of bulmers, i told her to smell me hanging mushroom & went elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

Was at a wedding in Somerset and got to sample the "real" stuff. Can't say I took to it at all.

I think Bulmers is okay. Nice on a hot day. Not the worst thing you could drink, in my opinion. A bit too sweet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

I must admit for a change on a hot afternoon a bottle or 2 with ice is nice

However it's not cider in real terms , you do need to go to zumerzet ( Somerset ) for that , and then you realise that Bulmers is really like the clear fizzy lemonade in a bottle compared to lemonade made with lemons ( if you get my meaning )

I have always thought it's a little over priced , and would certainly NEVER pay 8 euro for a bottle.

A lot of pubs in England stopped serving draught cider because of low demand , and the fact that it turns to a syrup in the lines and is almost impossible to keep them clean ( do pubs here have the same problem nowadays ? )

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Davidth88 wrote: »
    However it's not cider in real terms , you do need to go to zumerzet ( Somerset ) for that ,
    You really don't. There's a cider maker in north Dublin. You can buy his stuff in DrinkStore.

Plus, of course, proper cider is fairly simple to make: just apple juice and yeast.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

BeerNut wrote: »
    You really don't. There's a cider maker in north Dublin. You can buy his stuff in DrinkStore.

Plus, of course, proper cider is fairly simple to make: just apple juice and yeast.

Fair enough ......

I used to pick up a load of ' scrumpy ' from a farm in Somerset when I visited a friend down there.

You got a discount if you had your own container , usually a gallon plastic bottle

They had 3 variations:-

Rough ( cloudy horrible stuff that would strip paint , but had a kick a mule )
    Ordinary ( clearish , nice drink , strong )
    ' Vintage ' ( clear , nice , but as strong as a wine )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

ah bulmers, the "budweiser" of cider

rubadub wrote: »

I would have guessed it came out in the early 90's I would have said 93 or 94 (unless it was out before and taken off the market). I am sad to say I used to drink the muck (I loved cidona as a kid and despise it now because of bulmers;)). Many of my mates used to drink it and I can remember well when pint bottles came out (well possibly the second time) since we had little money we would have arguments if lads got it in rounds since it costed more than a normal pint of bulmers which was already a little dearer than a pint of lager.

They deffinately were available in the 1980's but it probably was not a very popular drink ... no way near the popularity it has in these last 10years.

In Photographer Padraig Kennelly's book of pictures called EyeWitness there is a picture of 2 rather ruff for the wear looking couples at Puck Fair in Kilorglin in Co Kerry and guess what they are drinking from a pint bottle of Bulmers. The picture was taken in 1956 :eek: .

It's strange how you come by things when your not looking for them.

I was doing a bit of research on the History of Tullamore Dew and was researching the Cantrell & Cochrane connection when I saw a bit on the history of Bulmers in Ireland and thought of this thread.

Seemingly there has been rights to produce and market Bulmers in Ireland since 1937 and the ownership rights to Bulmers trademark in Ireland since 1960.

Also Bulmers has 80% of the cider market in Ireland no wonder they charge what they like :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

As low as 80%? Wow. What year's that number from?

Advertisement