Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Soundproof sleeping Pod ?

• 02-01-2010 10:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭

Hi. My problem is noisy neighbours :( and I am wondering if anyone has ever seen or heard or made a soundproof "sleeping pod" to sleep in.
    I think I will try and DIY one next week - I tried soundproofing the whole room but somehow the sound "leaks" in.
    I'd love to hear from any one who might have seen such a soundproof pod or made one themselves and has any advice. Thanks Mike :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭djk1000

just make sure you don't turn soundproof into airtight! I use earplugs, cheaper and easier. Took some getting used to though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭mikedublin

Thanks. Yeah I am thinking of that. And I have tried earplugs, but find they fall out of my ears after a while.
    The sleeping pod idea is the last option , if it doesn't work I'm going to have to move :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭chillin_penguin

Also i would worry that if a fire alarm went off or someone tried to break in you wouldnt hear a thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kwalshe

there is earplugs i have seen in industry that are specifically designed for the user ear. Maybe search for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭mikedublin

i was thinking if I had some kind of door / covering on it. And only have it totally shut when the neighbours are up to their noisy activities.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Maybe just put a blanket up against the wall vent if sound is coming from there.

loud_sex.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1 cuptie

im wondering if mikedublin built his sleeping pod..?

i realise this is an old thread, but when i stumbled on it, it was if i had written it.

so, did it get built..? if so, id like to get a rundown of what material was used soundproofing. and did it work..? or did you just move..?

although ear plugs do work, it would be better not having the sleep disrupted in the first place, on the basis i only put them in when needed, which is most mornings. it would be uncomfortable to put them in all the time before sleeping.

im close to attempting the same kind of thing... last resort before contemplating a move. which would be a pain as im very settled... except for the noise.

regarding the potential lack of air someone mentioned, i also considered this... and would build with a small fan (quiet, like a pc fan or something) / vent / co2 alarm.

plus being in a studio apartment, the pod would provide extra storage space above it (small steps leading up top)... plus provide an extra dark environment for when summer comes round.

heck i even thought i might kit it out with a small telly, light, shelves etc...

you can see ive thought about this a lot.

my work colleagues think im daft, but some folks are more sensitive to noise than others.

so, an update on how you got on mikedublin..?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I have no trouble with earplugs. I use foam ones you squish and pop in the ear and they expand back out again. I can't feel them when rolling around, and they never fall out, in fact I have to get a tweezers to get them out sometimes.

You can get custom made ones made from a gel type stuff which sets, its like stuff dentists use to get impressions of teeth.

There are also flanged silicone ones.

Advertisement