Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My XBox live gamer tag was deemed offensive after 3 years???

• 02-01-2010 10:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭

Come on?

DOGSDUNG if that names offensive, what if I had of called myself Dungbeatle????

Now known as DUGSDONG by the way!!

Xbox a bit too pernickity there don't you think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Did you violate somebody on Live then rub it in post-match? That usually confers people reporting your name for any reason. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Xluna

You should have called yourself dogsh1t and got some value for money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Xluna wrote: »
    You should have called yourself dogsh1t and got some value for money.

LOL. now that WOULD have been offensive!

Incidentally, DOGSDUNG was a pay with words on how all the Americans always shouted bull**** when I whipped their butts on Texas Hold Em or COD WAW

So, maybe it was the slagging of losers who reported me an got a forced change of gamertag!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Delminuso007

DUGSDONG is more offensive :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

same thing happened to me there a few months back.used to be jesusbeater, but apparently some people found it to be offensive. I never ment it in a religious way just a racist mexican way(joking).
    Pain in the arse changing the gamertag and stuff, worst thinkg was the feckers charged me for it unless I choose one of a couple of specific crap names.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

They were a little too strict with that one. I've seen worse names on xbl. Did you annoy someone online and they reported your gamertag?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Delminuso007

Meatwad wrote: »
    same thing happened to me there a few months back.used to be jesusbeater, but apparently some people found it to be offensive. I never ment it in a religious way just a racist mexican way(joking).
    Pain in the arse changing the gamertag and stuff, worst thinkg was the feckers charged me for it unless I choose one of a couple of specific crap names.

Brilliant!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IONyLZn0pLI&feature=related

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Duffff-Man wrote: »
    They were a little too strict with that one. I've seen worse names on xbl. Did you annoy someone online and they reported your gamertag?
    Its possible,was playing magic the gathering online around the time and kind of lost the pplot on this guy that quit a half an hour into a game that I was loosing badlybut made a massive comeback.Just as I won he quit, so started msging him some vulgar ****e(Never normally let that kind of thing get to me or lower my self , but he just really got to me.)
    Seen some really bad stuff on line myself, find the old RAPE clan tags abit offensive on codmw2, can't understand how you can put that in and not other stuff.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Moon

*Goes online to complain about the name DUGSDONG* :p

I just wonder who is offended by the name DOGSDUNG? Or why the complaint stuck!

I was unaware dogs could play xbox!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

All it takes if for someone to report it!

Ive seen some serious gamertags the last while

eg:

Asianbumcleaner
    wanksock
    yurrfuucckeed
    arselips

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Moon

I'm waiting for someone to take the name GEEBAG, unless it's already gone, nobody would have a clue what it means :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭SK1979

DUGSDONG is more offensive :D

Lol this is so much more offensive than your previous one.

I once worked as a GM for a well known MMORPG and offensive names were the order of the day there. To be honest, the ones you see of Xbox live are generally an awful lot tamer than the other game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭quinnd6

That's funny, I guess they don't realise what dong is a slang for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭marky boii

Being lousy to people on xbox live your diffenently going to get reported

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Ridley

marky boii wrote: »
    Being lousy to people on xbox live your diffenently going to get reported

I'm sure the definition of lousy online varies from player to player pending on experience. For some it's that you beat them at all.

But it doesn't excuse the person(s) who upheld the complaint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭stopusingoil

Anyone find it funny how XboxLive are running around trying to make sure nobody is offended by another persons name, motto, bio, what have you?

I mean, where do you draw the line? What if I am offended by the name "ILoveJesus" or "DemocracyWorks"? Will Xbox come running to my aid then?

Another example of a corporation ABUSING its power. Just like Eircom blocking pirate bay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

As an update:
    DUGSDONG lasted all of 3 days!
    I'm now on to ULICK-MAGEE
    gonna start a sweep on how many days this one will last!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 150 ✭✭mrbig

I am not a fan of some of the clan names BNP and IRA for a start, mostly nobs, I have disabled the chat too many sad losers talking ****, I did like talking to some people and on a very rare ocaision get some kind of team going on TDM but its mostly Mad Sad and Bad people using it, I am way of topic now but how serious do they take a complaint, Im sure I have pissed of people by spamming the whole game with claymores on scavanger perk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Mr Moon wrote: »
    I'm waiting for someone to take the name GEEBAG, unless it's already gone, nobody would have a clue what it means :D

Sure remember that one night we were playing FIFA club against some lad who had the gamertag: Smell-Her-Gee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Meatwad wrote: »
    Its possible,was playing magic the gathering online around the time and kind of lost the pplot on this guy that quit a half an hour into a game that I was loosing badlybut made a massive comeback.

Yes I find that happens with magic the gathering when ever I look like i might win. I like to have the decency to finish out when im looking. I hear it happens in footie games also but i don not play them.

Just while we are on topic can any one think of any really funny offencive names they have seen on XBL?
    A friend of mine is called askmegicker though most americans dont get it.
    Also i was playing BF1943 there one night and there was a fella called GashInspector, one classic name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Gucky wrote: »
    As an update:
    DUGSDONG lasted all of 3 days!
    I'm now on to ULICK-MAGEE
    gonna start a sweep on how many days this one will last!
    Hold the phone ... I'll enter that sweep and then report the name... Easy Money :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Gucky wrote: »
    Come on?

DOGSDUNG if that names offensive, what if I had of called myself Dungbeatle????

Now known as DUGSDONG by the way!!

Xbox a bit too pernickity there don't you think?

You should have gotten your moneys worth, gone the whole hog and called yourself DogSh!t.

Its a bit funny though, MS making sure nobody is offended by a gamertag, motto, bio, yet people are free to roar any kind of crap down the microphone or by message. Never once would you think when some scumbag is roaring abuse, "Ah sure, feck it, at least his Gamertag, motto and bio aren't offensive!".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,312 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Best I've seen is a gamertag that read 'I HATE FAT YANKS'

can't imagine that lasted too long...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

dazftw wrote: »
    All it takes if for someone to report it!

Ive seen some serious gamertags the last while

eg:

Asianbumcleaner
    wanksock
    yurrfuucckeed
    arselips

Isnt there a poster on boards called wanksock??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Lab_Mouse wrote: »
    Isnt there a poster on boards called wanksock??

no but theres
    wanker
    wankstain
    and wankgee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Its a handy cheap way to change your GT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

Haha the worst I've seen are "Dirtybox" and "Smellygee" and that's off two dubliners (and possibly boardsmembers I can't recall). "Rape" is just offensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭SionnachOghma

All of a sudden I'm feeling inspired. If I ever manage to get my Xbox online (emphasis on IF, hasn't happened yet) I'm instantly changing my plain inoffensive gamertag to TheDogsBollox. Probably won't last a day, but what the hell.

Oh, and if anyone can tell me how to get the stupid thing online, I'd really appreciate it. Connecting to the home network, but then I'm getting some stupid DNS error message. Been up and down all the suggestions offered my both my console and Xbox.com, got a polite but definite 'Not our problem' from Vodafone.

One suggestion offered was port forwarding, but I'm told that's a major security issue. Anything else anyone can suggest short of a new router or ISP? Would either of those even make a difference?

Sorry for the off-topic ramble. This is really getting on my nerves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Open the specific ports it recommends on the Xbox site and guides online. Opening all ports or turning off your firewall could be a security issue, but if you want to play online you're pretty much gonna have to open those specific ports.

• Advertisement
Advertisement