Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So tried to build my PC... failed

Options
  • 02-01-2010 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

Got all the components in Maplin today and spent 400 quid and got some pretty old parts but i hope solid.

Black ICute Case 40euro
    4chan PCI sound card 23E
    OEM 250gb SATA HD
    580w Xpower GTXlight PSU 82E
    __8100VM-M5 GeForce MotherBoard
    __Athlon X2 Dual Core 7450
    __2GB DDR2 800mhz
    __Heat Sink+ Fan --->202E

I have a Samsung Syncmaster P2270 LCD that i was using my laptop off.

So i put it all together carefully.

I press the power button its turns on and i see nothing. The LCD knows that its plugged into the PC because it searchs between Analog and Digital looking for a signal.

I expected that I would see the POST routine but my heart sank into my stomach when nothing appeared :(

Anybody able to provide some ideas? I heard no sound either. Like beeps etc. (dnt know if pc's still beep during POST)

Also could it be that this LCD doesnt display post routines and only comes alive when i boot into windows? -.- I dnt have another screen so I hope thats not the case also.

Many Thanks,
    -W :pac:

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Why in the name of God did you get that tripe in Maplins?! :(

The kit is old, but I'm more worried about the horrid mobo (ECS = fail) and off-brand PSU (JG won't even review them because they keep trying to bait-and-switch :rolleyes: )

Try wiping the CMOS (check your mobo manual - if you even got one...). Beyond that I'm guessing that either the PSU or mobo are DoA - no big surprise given their "quality". So do the decent thing and ask for a full refund. Then build a better PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Woody_FX

I reset the CMOS.. nothing exact same as always.

Also i plugged in my USB Keyboard and none of the lights, light up on the keyboard. Now I am wondering will the MOBO recognize USB stuff or do i need an old PS/2 style connection? Or having a keyboard plugged in even matter regarding getting a POST?

Removed the PCI sounds card and removed the Graphics card, connecting to the MOBO's VGA connection now and still nothing. Re-seated the RAM also and no joy.

:(

So anybody able to save me?

-W
    (Broken but not beaten, yet)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Woody_FX wrote: »

Removed the PCI sounds card and removed the Graphics card, connecting to the MOBO's VGA connection now and still nothing. Re-seated the RAM also and no joy.

You will do what is always advised on here when things don't go to plan...

1) strip the entire thing down.

2) Remove the motherboard from the case. (you will rebuild guts of pc on the table outside of case)

3) Re-seat CPU and ram.

4) Connect power supply to motherboard.

5) Short out the x2 pins on the motherboard that are for the power button with a screw driver (to power the pc on, yes it's safe to do!)

NB: usb mouse and keyboard are fine, no need for ps2 stuff on any modern motherboard.

Also you are getting power when you hit the power button right? You hear fans, cpu fan etc.. power up. If not check you have the power button for the case wired up right to the motherboard, still no power reverse the hat switch for the power button on the motherboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Woody_FX

Rebuilding it got it going! Windows installing atm :)

Ty guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭jonny72

Got all the components in Maplin today and spent 400 quid and got some pretty old parts but i hope solid.

Black ICute Case 40euro
    4chan PCI sound card 23E
    OEM 250gb SATA HD
    580w Xpower GTXlight PSU 82E
    __8100VM-M5 GeForce MotherBoard
    __Athlon X2 Dual Core 7450
    __2GB DDR2 800mhz
    __Heat Sink+ Fan --->202E

No offense, but you got ripped off bigtime.. I mean all that.. working.. would sell for maybe 150 euros second hand. I'm not helping that situation, but jesus christ maplins. Can it be returned?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Rebuilding it got it going! Windows installing atm :)

Ty guys

Glad to hear it.

Also take all the slatting on here for going to Maplins onboard.
    They really are sh it and you shouldn't buy parts of them, they are a total rip off and their parts are shoite and way overpriced.
    Buy online next time mate.

Still at least it's working!

Advertisement