Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

single women/men over 35 drink more?

Options
  • 02-01-2010 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭

am caught in this trap of binge drinking - not caught more I enjoy binge drinking. I love a night out starting with a few wines then onto pints maybe one or two shots. I usually get very drunk and do stupid things(nothing dangerous just ****e talk and actions) which embaress me for days. I know lots of women similar to me..dont have bf or kids or mortgage..work full time..just a job not a career...

Any oneelse in the same boat? I wont drink for January now however I wont go out either.after one night out im recovering for days...drinking is defo my social lubricant..I dont drink at home EVER..by the end of January I will be ripping my hair out for a night out and hence the cycle wil start no doubt again..

I have so many drink stories - drink driving, pregnancy, fights...scary..especially for a woman...someimtes I wish I was like my friends how have kids to occupy them...im bored(am joined a gym which I frequent twice a week,,,love to walk,,,read,,have a large socal circle) but drinking is unforuntatly one of my pasttimes too..

am wondering will i stop? both parents are alcoholics..its hard to draw the line of an alcoholic - they drink daly and admit no problems...I drink maybe weekly and feel I have a problem...went to an Al-Anon meeting and was horrified..

any stories from the older members of the board re drinking and wanting to stop/reasons?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I was having liver pains about 10 years ago and my doctor suggested I give up drinking and I did, just like that.

I think the trick is to replace it with something else. Instead of going all out at the weekend, catch a film with a friend mid-week, wi9th or without a drink or two.

A big problem in the this country is that people don't see binge drinking as problem drinking. Your body is much better able to handle a drink or two a few times a week than the same amount over 6 hours at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭iguana2005

thanks for reply..its the extra curriculr activites I have problems with...seriously all my mates are in relationships and I have gone to the cinema on my own - no problems there but I actaully feel worse as you feel so alone..live alone too...am a tad older...

doesnt help that I work in an industry thats drink orientated - i find people who work in 9-5 jobs VERY boring which is probably my upbringing...all ex partners have been non 9-5v'ers..and love to party...and my personality doesnt help as am the party queen(regardless of drink being honest as am pretty out there but just cant go out and not drink - VERY VERY boring)

well think ill head to an al-anon meeting next week...so how i go...

Advertisement