Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FARS v non FARS weather stations

Options
  • 02-01-2010 11:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭

I'm interested in getting a proper weather station sometime this year.

What is the accuracy difference for temperature between a Fan assisted radiation shield and a weather station that does not have one.

Does the difference make a FARS weather station worthwhile given the price difference?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Min wrote: »
    I'm interested in getting a proper weather station sometime this year.

What is the accuracy difference for temperature between a Fan assisted radiation shield and a weather station that does not have one.

Does the difference make a FARS weather station worthwhile given the price difference?

I would recommend a fars defo Min. Particularly useful for those still summer days when there in little or no breeze as it would keep the airflow moving inside the thermo screen making for more accurate readings even in such warm, still weather. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

IMO it depends on your site and whether you want to record in a similar way to a standard stevenson screen
    There is no doubt that FARS (fan aspirated radiation shield) records more accurate temperatures, more accurate than the standard screen! If your site is exoposed then I don't think it is neccessary and the readings from a non FARS unit will be quite similar to standard. If the site is quite sheltered then I think FARS is good.

Note there are daytime fars units and 24hour units. The daytime only unit will not do a good job at night. If the fan fails then the readings are going to be very poor because there will be very little air flow via the sensors which are enclosed in a vertical tube. The fan is located at top of tube and draws in air via the bottom.

I am a fan of the simpler the better!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

I have the non FARS Davis here up the road from you Min. I find that my site is exposed enough to the gentlest of breezes so it's not a priority. However, if your station is not going to be open to some little breezes then look at getting a FARS 24 Hour system.

What part of the hills are you in?

Have a look at at this in depth analysis of Davis VP2 non fars vs standard met instruments
    http://www.weatherstations.co.uk/expert_reports.htm (near bottom of page)

And if you in any way interested in trying to match Met Office standards then this AWS operating Guide is a good resource

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Danno wrote: »
    I have the non FARS Davis here up the road from you Min. I find that my site is exposed enough to the gentlest of breezes so it's not a priority. However, if your station is not going to be open to some little breezes then look at getting a FARS 24 Hour system.

What part of the hills are you in?

It is exposed here, thinking of maybe putting it in a field nearby where it would be open to the maximum exposure possible or out the back, it is sheltered a bit but still exposed, its a windy enough place here.

I'm in the Muckalee/Ballyfoyle area - altitude over 220 metres.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Min wrote: »
    I'm in the Muckalee/Ballyfoyle area - altitude over 220 metres.

You are very close to SnowAddict so. You know him?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I have the Davis Pro 2 plus with FARS min and while my old station was rather poor the difference in temps duirng hot summer days is stark, the FARS also picks up changes a bit quicker imo.

Thanks for all the good advice from everyone and Mothman for the reading material.

Danno, I don't know him or at least I don't think I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭.243

sorry min not meaning to hack your thread but ive been thinking of investing too and i was looking at one of these,some opinions from the pro's please
    http://www.kestrelmeters.com/Kestrel-4000-Weather-Meter.pro

• Advertisement

.243 wrote: »
    sorry min not meaning to hack your thread but ive been thinking of investing too and i was looking at one of these,some opinions from the pro's please
    http://www.kestrelmeters.com/Kestrel-4000-Weather-Meter.pro

No problem, I got a lot of good information already :)

Advertisement