Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Videos

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,074 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Velotheft wrote: »
    Hope you enjoy them and would appreciate some feedback.

Nicely made video, mad skillz and all that, but when I watch that stuff I just think "somebody's going to get hurt". I must be getting old.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

On behalf of everyone else on this forum, I'd like to condemn any rule breaking.

On behalf of everyone else on this forum, I'd like to condemn any rule breaking.

Pete, the 2010 default is condemnation. Silence implies seething dissent. Did you not get the flyer?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Christ,certain people will have a field day if they watch that "evil rides" video.:rolleyes:

Most of that video just pissed me off. Great example of why cyclists get a bad rap from other road users and unfortunately we all get tarred with the same brush.

My 2 cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Here are all the videos my friends and I make,
    Hope you enjoy them and would appreciate some feedback.

You did ask for feedback right?

Please stick around and you'll see my point soon enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Snob is a word that comes to mind.

You have no right to come on this board and call people snobs while pimping videos like the ones you link to.

There is absolutely nothing positive about any of those videos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Velotheft

penexpers wrote: »
    You have no right

I have every right, whats your reasoning because its rude or because I'm a newbie?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

I have every right, whats your reasoning because its rude or because I'm a newbie?

Both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Velotheft

penexpers wrote: »
    Both.

Woop-dee-doo.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I'm all about being reckless and dangerous, it's just what I do.
    These video's though, you're just causing trouble. So many time's I've been cut off by people riding like in this video, it's dangerous enough as it is and then you factor in city center traffic.

Cop on, mate. You're going to kill yourself and some one else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

I'm all for cycling and holding your position on the road however these are video evidence of you and your mates breaking the law. The faces are clear enough too that it could be used to identify you. By that I mean bits like going the wrong way down one way streets into traffic, or going through red lights.

Edit those parts out and the videos are fine. They do bounce between road cycling and tricks at times. Separating the content would make future ones easier to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭DePurpereWolf

Nice music,

Like the car cutting off the camera cyclist at 4.37:
    http://www.vimeo.com/8501117 at least he's using his directioners

Yes, there was some rule breaking. Really, if I was one of those pedestrians I might have thrown something at you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Danger isn't the point, and exciting video's are not the point. Fast delivery is the point. The guy that made this video loves cycling, loves bikes and he loves his job. All three are one and the same, so he made this video to show ye's all, not to be "Hey I'm cool, look at me I'm dangerous".

I'm sorry I posted the video here now. Snob is a word that comes to mind.

Oh, please.

If you're posting video of yourselves playing in traffic with a backing track of metallica, and you're editing the video to pick out all those thread-the-needle moments, those close-shaves and feats of derring-do, well the point is very obviously "Hey I'm cool, look at me I'm dangerous".

Be honest about it. You see the city as your play ground, and other people the way skiers see flag poles (sometimes they get hit, but they usually get up again after you're gone, right?). Sure, some of you might make a living from deliveries, but some of those videos are alley cats ffs, and are purely recreational. You can't use the tired old "we do what we do for the customer" trope here, you do what you do for shits and giggles. Own up to that.

It does endanger others though, that's just not disputable. You may be completely comfortable with the danger you place others in, and justify it with by pointing to your skill and experience, but it's totally naive to expect others to. Especially the others who are simply trying to get around and who have to deal with the "cyclists are all the same, lawless cnuts, let's bully them off the road" mentality.

I bought a few tickets for the raffle to pay for legal fees for the messenger who's in prison in Japan for a hit-and-run on a pedestrian while taking part in the championships there - I couldn't help but wonder where the raffle to pay for the pedestrian's medical expenses was...

It's cool. I envy your skill and, weirdly, your recklessness. But I have to honest about it, your fun is other peoples' problem, and I'm not ok with that.

Don't gets pissed when people give their opinions though - I'm not sure what you expected. You're boy racers, but on bikes.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I have been hit by cars, vans and even buses...

On the evidence of your video, I'm not surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

I'm sorry I posted the video here now. Snob is a word that comes to mind.

I think you knew what kind of reaction to expect. You can go off to your little fixie forum now and tell everybody how square we are on boards.ie and get a little pat on the back from your courier friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

If you really have to race at the very least go out the hills and the wide open and do it there where if you crash you'll only hit an aul stone wall instead of an innocent pedestrian who comes out of a doorway unexpectedly or mis-interprets you're path and accidentally jumps in front of you trying to get away from you. I don't know just how much it hurts to be in a head on collision with a cyclist but I'm sure no one really wants to find out.
    Having said that it's a really well made video and kudos to who-ever shot it even if they have a complete dis-regard for the safety of others.
    I'm sorry if it seems like we're judging you unfairly but treating the city centre like a playground is by no means fair for the other people who have to use it.

If you really have to race at the very least go out the hills and the wide open and do it there where if you crash you'll only hit an aul stone wall instead of an innocent pedestrian...

I think you've missed the point of what they're doing though. Asking an alley-cater to go race on empty roads is like asking a mountain biker to go race on nice smooth tarmac - the peds and traffic are the challenge just like the terrain is the challenge for mtbs. Luckily for the truffle-hunters, rocks and trees are unlikely to object. Bus drivers are different though.

Besides, in my experience couriers are greats pilots, but they have rubbish engines. Put 'em out on the open road where it's about speed not bravery and they'll struggle to stay with even average club riders.

Yes, I said it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

niceonetom wrote: »
    Put 'em out on the open road where it's about speed not bravery bravado and they'll struggle to stay with even average club riders.

FYP

Put 'em out on the open road where it's about speed not bravery idiocy and they'll struggle to stay with even average club riders.

Better.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Am I gonna have to arm myself for the next Goldsprints?

• Advertisement

Am I gonna have to arm myself for the next Goldsprints?

The only weapon that you'll need.

Fast delivery is the point.

So you'd be OK with taxi drivers or delivery van drivers posting videos of themselves jumping red lights and driving the wrong way up one way streets?

No it's not my playground it's my office. People that act like children and don't use the pedestrian crossings or dont bother looking do sometimes get hit and even some that use the crossings but just don't bother to wait for the lights to change and don't bother looking, they get hit too. I don't want to hit any one and neither do most couriers...

Just because it's your job doesn't entitle you to ride like an idiot.
    I spend most day's in fear of what I am capable of out there on the road and how it can affect others and myself, but I also need to trust myself and others too.

If you're in such fear of your own mad skillz, why not try riding up a one way street the right way?
    Go suck it dildo lover.

With these debating skills you're really spoiling us.

Lumen wrote: »
    So you'd be OK with taxi drivers or delivery van drivers posting videos of themselves jumping red lights and driving the wrong way up one way streets?

Or taxi drivers cutting in front of a cyclist in order to pick up a fare lest some other guy get there first.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

el tonto wrote: »
    Or taxi drives cutting in front of a cyclist in order to pick up a fair lest some other guy get there first.
    :eek:

blorg wrote: »
    :eek:

I'm claiming impaired functions due to a heavy lunch.

No it was Slayer, and what I said about that video still stands.

FFS do not question my knowledge of the 'tallica. Ever.
    People that act like children and don't use the pedestrian crossings or dont bother looking do sometimes get hit and even some that use the crossings but just don't bother to wait for the lights to change and don't bother looking, they get hit too.

Wait. You behave like you do in those videos and then you place the blame on other road users??? Are you serious? Really? Are you?

Ask yourself honestly, who is acting like a child here?
    I don't want to hit any one and neither do most couriers. Alleycats are are different story, they are done for fun I can't and I won't deny that, but its not a competition to see how many laws we can brake or trying to hurt people, its about having fun and using your knowledge of the city to your advantage.

I'm struggling to even see how you think what you've written here as a defence... are we supposed to be relieved that endangerment is only an incidental part of your fun, and not its actual aim?
    The 2 men featured in the cluedo alleycat video and the other one too both do not drink alcohol. And yes believe it or not we take pride in our work.

Again, whaaaa? Do you think that sobriety and pride are a worthy substitute for concern for the well-being of others? Do you think there's even a connection here?
    That is were the money from the raffle went to the woman.

Really? Because that's not what I was told. Anyway, it still doesn't justify deliberate dickishness, that does occasionally hurt people.

Go suck it dildo lover.

Wait. Did I get called a "dildo lover" and then miss it due to an edit. And if so, an edit by whom? Anyway, aside from that thing with eminem I think dildo's music is rubbish...

Wait. Did I get called a "dildo lover" and then miss it due to an edit. And if so, an edit by whom? Anyway, aside from that thing with eminem I think dildo's music is rubbish...

Sorry to disappoint, but the comment was directed at Borneo Fnctn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

http://www.vimeo.com/8501117

I'm curious, now that your an artist and are making, producing and distributing your own movies what message are you trying to get across to your fans...?
    Is there a self destruction tale here, a sad story of how your cavalier attitude to your own life and safety gives you reason to get up in the morning... no if that was it you would try a sport such as DH to increase your adrenaline hit and actually have some material worth watching....

Is it how your complete ignorance of other peoples lives mean if someone does injure or kill you, or you do to them, you really don't care how it will effect others lives... cant be that either cos then you'd put this nihilistic personality to good use and become a drug dealer.

I Got it Your a complete idiot who has the sense of adventure of a five year old! You think frightening people on the road and path is fun, cool and acceptable because your fun and cool and your life as the deliverer of messages has peeked so its ok....

Just wondering when you get arrested for knocking someone down, or when someone swerves to avoid you and crashes or a million other 'really cool' things that could happen and your saying just how deeply and truly sorry you are... do you think the Gardí should show this video in court or privately to the people effected by your 'hobby'...?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement