Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with wireless broadband

• 02-01-2010 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭

Hi there,
    Hoping somebody out there can advise me.I currently have a landline/broadband package with BT or now Vodafone at home.However on a consistent basis I have found the connection to be poor.I constantly need an ethernet cable as the wireless connection alone does not seem to work.I live in an estate in Castlebar and have been advised that there may only be a single poor line going into the estate.However I have used my parents Eircom broadband in a different part of town on a different laptop to my mine with few problems.In both cases I am unsure what speed the connections are,I cannot recall.Is the problem with my laptop,my operating system Vista I believe is poor for broadband functioning?Is laptop funtion,ak slow functioning,viruses,spyware,large capacity programs etc a factor?The broadband is very poor at streaming from rte player and football streaming websites.I intend to check with my neighbours how they find their broadband quality.Obviously in a large estate there is a large demand on the broadband,my sis's techno boyfriend has advised me I might be best to cancel my landline/broadband package and get a USB connection from one of the mobile companies ak 3,O2,Meteor or Vodafone.How best can I test th e line qualityand interpret if I am achieving the speeds I should be getting?Eircom workers are hardly likely to be in a rush out to me to correct any fault for me as a BT customer,if such a fault exists.
    Please help as I am growing frustated and exasperated,
    Selig:eek:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭dunworth1

one question does the broadband connection work ok when it is connected with the Ethernet cable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

If you have good connection with an ethernet cable then there is nothing wrong with the broadband supplied to you.

There may be local interferance with the wireless signal from the router so it may be worth a try to change the wireless channel the router is using to see if that improves things.

You would be foolish, IMO, to change to a mobile broadband supplier. Just get the wireless part of the router working properly and all should be OK.

regards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,093 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

If you have a landline phone with a different phone number to other people in the estate, then you will have your own dedicated line.

If you want to know for sure what your broadband speed is, use this:

http://speedtest.smarttelecom.ie/

Test via WiFi and ethernet connections to see if there is a difference.

You do have a WiFi router at home? You can connect to it some times?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

seligehgit wrote: »
    How best can I test th e line qualityand interpret if I am achieving the speeds I should be getting?Eircom workers are hardly likely to be in a rush out to me to correct any fault for me as a BT customer,if such a fault exists.
    Please help as I am growing frustated and exasperated,
    Selig:eek:

Eircom will have to maintain your line regardless of what company you pay for the service you receive.

The lines are owned by Eircom Wholesale, the service on the line for eircom customers is supplied by Eircom Retail. These are 2 different companies.

Most telephone/broadband service providers in Ireland rent the lines from eircom wholesale, this company has to maintain the line if there is a fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Yes it appears to work ok with the ethernet cable Dunworth1,however the streaming of live soccer matches is much poorer than on my parents eircom broadband.
    Ta,
    Selig

• Advertisement

If you have good connection with an ethernet cable then there is nothing wrong with the broadband supplied to you.

There may be local interferance with the wireless signal from the router so it may be worth a try to change the wireless channel the router is using to see if that improves things.

You would be foolish, IMO, to change to a mobile broadband supplier. Just get the wireless part of the router working properly and all should be OK.

regards.

Thanks Johnboy1951 I have changed the wireless channel to number 6 and fingers crossed everything appears to be working well without the ethernet cable,have yet to try streaming a live soccer match which is the acid test.:D

cnocbui wrote: »
    If you have a landline phone with a different phone number to other people in the estate, then you will have your own dedicated line.

If you want to know for sure what your broadband speed is, use this:

http://speedtest.smarttelecom.ie/

Test via WiFi and ethernet connections to see if there is a difference.

You do have a WiFi router at home? You can connect to it some times?

cnocbui I did the tests with and without the cable,results download minus cable 2592 kbps upload 290 kbps with cable 2621 kbps upload 321 kbps.Sound reasonable??Thanks,Selig

To be honest Fries with that I just heard that eircom would put non eircom customers to the back of the list to carry out any technical repairs,purely base my thinking on anecdotal stories.Changing the wireles channel seems to have worked,fingers crossed.
    Selig

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

To be honest Fries with that I just heard that eircom would put non eircom customers to the back of the list to carry out any technical repairs,purely base my thinking on anecdotal stories.Changing the wireles channel seems to have worked,fingers crossed.
    Selig

As pointed out earlier if you are getting an ok signal via ethernet then the problem has nothing go to do with your isp. Their job is done at that point.

Wireless network issues are your problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,093 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

cnocbui I did the tests with and without the cable,results download minus cable 2592 kbps upload 290 kbps with cable 2621 kbps upload 321 kbps.Sound reasonable??Thanks,Selig

That is perfectly acceptable performance.

• Advertisement
Advertisement