Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

warranty problem help plsss

Options
  • 03-01-2010 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭

hi, im looking for some advice in relation to my rights. Recently my Dell laptop started giving me trouble, so dell came and repaired it and the problem was still present. This happened 3 times until the other day i got them to agree to give me a new laptop, not the same model but another one to the same spec. This is fine but i had a 3 year extended warranty which i had to buy first day on the first model. My question is am i within my rights to get a new 3 year warranty on this new model since the last laptop failed. Thank you

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

You'll get whatever the standard warranty is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

so you mean ill get the 3yr or the 1 yr standard

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭tudlytops

tonydude wrote: »
    so you mean ill get the 3yr or the 1 yr standard

No your 3 year warranty will remain in place but will be dated from when you first bought it, you will not get a new one. + the standard 1 year's for this PC.

but hows that fair, the laptop is 18 months old , this could happen with the new model in another 18 months and then im screwed. Its a new latop so the whole deal should just restart.

but hows that fair, the laptop is 18 months old , this could happen with the new model in another 18 months and then im screwed. Its a new latop so the whole deal should just restart.

That is why the 3 year warranty was taken in the 1st place to protect you in case this happened, really they can't keep offering another 3 years every time it happens (hopefully won't happen again). there are people who know how to rig a pc so it looks like it is a defect, if the 3 year warranty kept being renewed they would get a new pc every couple of years for ever.

And as for 3 year warranty proposes your new PC is not classed as a new PC, but as a replacement PC.

• Advertisement

hmm thxs for the info well they said a new model not a refurb

hmm thxs for the info well they said a new model not a refurb

Sorry didn't explain myself well, yes the PC is new from Dell, but for the proposes of the warranty you bought, it is treated as a replacement not a new PC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭hedgeh0g

Does your laptop have an nvidia chip for video? 1000s of laptops have a known issue

http://en.community.dell.com/blogs/direct2dell/archive/2008/07/25/nvidia-gpu-update-for-dell-laptop-owners.aspx

yes it does and the problem was the graphics card which is soldered to the motherboard which meant the computer was totally ripped apart 3 times there giving me this one now http://ireland.dell.com/ie/en/home/Laptops/laptop-studio-xps-16/pd.aspx?refid=laptop-studio-xps-16&s=dhs&cs=iedhs1
    I have the xps m1530 at the mo.

Anyone know which graphics card is better
    ATI Mobility RADEON HD 3670-512MB (the replacement) or nvidia geforce8600 gt (My current faulty laptop)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Something about losing the warranty without a refund sounds fishy to me. I'll have a dig & get back to you but basically its not your fault the laptop was ****e, in my opinion the seller should offer a new warranty but with a proportionate discount (18 months) at least.

Losing the warranty smells wiffy.

• Advertisement

yes it does sound iffy ive chanced my arm by sending them an email ill see what they say

You didn't lose the warranty you used it and now it continues until it expires.

It is very simple really, how could you expect them to keep giving you another 3 years, some people as I said would just take advantage of that and never buy another PC in their life's, buy a warranty and keep breaking it.

Advertisement