Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cancelled flight compensation

• 03-01-2010 12:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭

I was due to travel to Barcelona this morning with Aer Lingus and they cancelled the flight eight hours beforehand - along with seven other flights.

I'm thinking of putting in a claim for compensation for the flight with Aer Lingus, but one of the exceptions for a claim is "bad weather". Does anyone know what the definition of bad weather is?

If nearly every other flight around that time was able to take off, does the bad weather exception apply?

http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Learning_Zone/Guides_To_Consumer_Law/Travel/Delayed%20flights/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭craiginireland

Just because the flights took off from Dublin doesn't mean its garunteed to land in Barcelona - They may have closed the airport. I'd check that out first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ro2

The weather in Barcelona was grand today, about 13c. Both airports were open when the flight was due to leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Did you get a reason off Aer wingless in writing?
    Get that first and then challenge that.
    Get on to Dublin airport by email and ask when the airport was closed to departing flights.

Have you Travel insurance? they might do some digging for you if they get money back form the airline.

Did any other aerlingus short haul airplanes depart during the time yours was meant to go? again Dub airport might know this.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Aer Lingus seemed to have been cancelling quite a fair number of flights the last couple of days giving bad weather as a excuse, however other airlines have not cancelled anything running to the same destinations around the same times as AL. Ryanair had delays but no cancellations. and generally seem able to cope with disruption better

The was one person who posted on here who yesterday said his flight was canceled as they needed to switch the aircraft to a more important / busier flight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Cleavage1970

You may be able to claim a portion of taxes and charges back from Aer Lingus if they cancelled the flight and didnt not provide an alternative at the soonest convenience. Aer Lingus will not refund you for the full flight, they will direct you to your travel insurance company most of which will cover the balance outstanding (fare and remaining taxes and charges not refunded) less the excess on the policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ro2

Did you get a reason off Aer wingless in writing?
    Get that first and then challenge that.
    Get on to Dublin airport by email and ask when the airport was closed to departing flights.

Have you Travel insurance? they might do some digging for you if they get money back form the airline.

Did any other aerlingus short haul airplanes depart during the time yours was meant to go? again Dub airport might know this.

I got a text message at 11pm the previous night saying the flight was cancelled.

I've applied for compensation using euclaim.ie. I have travel insurance too, which will cover the hotels.

There was another Aer Lingus flight that departed at 7:16am. My flight was due to leave at 06:40 too.
    Airport: (DUB) Dublin Airport

City: Dublin, IE
    Scheduled: 6:40 AM - Sat Jan 02, 2010
    Actual: 7:16 AM - Sat Jan 02, 2010
    Departed gate 36 min later than scheduled
    Local Time: 11:03 AM - Sun Jan 03, 2010

Advertisement