Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Problem with wireless broadband

• 03-01-2010 12:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭

Hi there,
    Hoping somebody out there can advise me.I currently have a landline/broadband package with BT or now Vodafone at home.However on a consistent basis I have found the connection to be poor.I constantly need an ethernet cable as the wireless connection alone does not seem to work.I live in an estate in Castlebar and have been advised that there may only be a single poor line going into the estate.However I have used my parents Eircom broadband in a different part of town on a different laptop to my mine with few problems.In both cases I am unsure what speed the connections are,I cannot recall.Is the problem with my laptop,my operating system Vista I believe is poor for broadband functioning?Is laptop funtion,ak slow functioning,viruses,spyware,large capacity programs etc a factor?The broadband is very poor at streaming from rte player and football streaming websites.I intend to check with my neighbours how they find their broadband quality.Obviously in a large estate there is a large demand on the broadband,my sis's techno boyfriend has advised me I might be best to cancel my landline/broadband package and get a USB connection from one of the mobile companies ak 3,O2,Meteor or Vodafone.How best can I test th e line qualityand interpret if I am achieving the speeds I should be getting?Eircom workers are hardly likely to be in a rush out to me to correct any fault for me as a BT customer,if such a fault exists.
    Please help as I am growing frustated and exasperated,
    Selig

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

I'm no expert on this, so apologies if any mistakes!

If you're noticing a better connection with the ethernet cable, you may have a problem with your router or wireless card on your computer. Try running a test with the cable connected and disconnected to get a more accurate picture of what is happening at www.speedtest.net
    Have you a secure wireless connection set up? If not, there may be a neighbour sponging off your broadband!
    A spyware/malware problem could also be what's causing a lot of your trouble - try running an antivirus software program (AVG can supply you with a free download, decent software) to see if that helps.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement