Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cracking the Industry

• 03-01-2010 12:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

Hi all,

Ive been reading the post here and get the feel there is a healthy mix of professionals and amateur film makers/editors!

I've recently received a BSc in Television Production and would consider myself a very good editor but I cant seem to get my foot on the industry ladder.

My question is, does anyone have any tips or hints on gettin onto the career ladder in the tv/av industry?!

Thanks Guys

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

1) Put together a sh1t hot show reel.

2) Post a copy of it to every production company/house you can find.

3) Call them every week pestering them for work.

4) Check mandy.com regularly for any editing work.

5) If possible, leave Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

No offence but considering yourself a very good editor doesn't look very good on a CV. You need to get experience, professional if possible. If you're struggling to find proper work, maybe help out with local clubs etc that might want videos and stuff put together so at least you have something on your CV.

Getting work experience is a bonus - I know it sounds like something you do in transition year, but the way the industry actually works can be hugely different from what you learn in University. For example, we learned everything on DV. Television companies will generally work on Digi-beta so you need to have a knowledge of that. It's not hugely different but you need to be aware of it, amongst other differences.

If you have done work you need to cut a showreel as Keefg has said, and make a good CV - I would avoid harrassing people though, try and apply for specific jobs if possible and target your CV accordingly. Eg, if the job is sport related try and include as much sport work etc.

Mandy.com is a good resource for both paid and free work. You might find some good work experience on there.

I totally agree with Keefg, get out of Ireland if possible. It's very difficult to get a job there. If you had the chance to move to London for 6 months you should try and do it. I wouldn't expect to walk straight into a job though. If you're lucky you might get work as an edit assistant but with out the work behind you it'd be difficult to get an editing job. You could try applying for jobs on shopping channels/cheap freeview channels. They tend to pay peanuts but you're more likely to get editing work.

ITV occasionally run trainee type schemes, the BBC used to do that but have since stopped. It's a good foot in the door. If you move to London join an agency - I believe there's one called First Positions that does assistants/editors/runners etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Delminuso007

Thanks for the advice guys, i have a good show reel made, just have to get it around I suppose!

Would love to get out of Ireland but I am tied to Ireland for the forseeable future!

I am keen to crack into any level of production but like most inthe field, just love editing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭dmaxontour

I'd say concentrate on getting a foot in the door. Don't expect to walk into an editor's role without industry experience. there is more to being an editor than just cutting well. There's media management, client management, speed etc.
    Try and get a job as a runner and work your way up, learning as much as you can absord on the way. Stay commited and you'll do well.
    In the present climate, there are plenty of good editors with proven track records looking for work, so there is a lot of competition out there.
    Good luck.

Advertisement