Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can't connect to NTL Wireless with Windows 7

• 03-01-2010 12:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Looking for some help. I got a new laptop for Xmas (Sony Vaio) and am having trouble connecting to the internet via wireless. I have ntl broadband, and use the cisco EPC2425 wireless router they provided.

I tried to connect using the windows wizard and went through all the steps, and added in the security key etc. When i had finished it connected fully to the network, yet couldn't get internet connectivity.

I have gone into the network and sharing center on the computer, and when i click on the wireless network connection, the properties screen shows IPv4 connectivity as "Internet" but IPv6 connectivity shows up as "no network access". I attached a screen shot of the properties screen if anybody can spot anything wrong.

i tried to sniff around online and some people suggested disabling IPv6 connectivity, but that didn't help.

I tried playing around with a few other things, removing and re-adding the connection but to no avail? Anybody have any ideas what might be wrong or how i could fix it?

My flat mate developed a similar problem connecting on his vista laptop after having to reinstall windows but never got it fixed. I really don't want to be confined to the wired connection!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Erper

Hi there...

First thing is ENABLE Ipv6, because win7 like vista is using both networks to connect to net.

Second, try to enable ur wireless on router, not just typing down the numbers/letters for it...

I had a friend who had same problem like u, and from third time it worked...
    He forget to turn on wireless on router settings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,911 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Does the laptop work with a wire connection? And does the ntl wireless work for other computers?

Does the laptop work on other wireless networks?

Manufacturers ship laptops with the most stupid firewall settings, that can prevent all net connections, unless you find the obscure setting that fixes it (usually the POS called McAfee).

astrofool wrote: »
    Does the laptop work with a wire connection? And does the ntl wireless work for other computers?

Manufacturers ship laptops with the most stupid firewall settings, that can prevent all net connections, unless you find the obscure setting that fixes it (usually the POS called McAfee).

I agree with Astro. For example some ADVENT laptops r havin wireles problem or even if they r connected via cable...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭floggg

astrofool wrote: »

Yes, Laptop works fine with wired NTL connection. NTL works on other computers, including my old XP laptop. And yes, the laptop worked with my eircom wireless broadband at home.

And yes, i do have McAfee pre-installed. Its only a 60 day trial so would gladly uninstall and go back to AVG free if you thought it might help?

Erper wrote: »
    Hi there...

First thing is ENABLE Ipv6, because win7 like vista is using both networks to connect to net.

Second, try to enable ur wireless on router, not just typing down the numbers/letters for it...

I had a friend who had same problem like u, and from third time it worked...
    He forget to turn on wireless on router settings

What do you mean enable ur wirless on routwer? With the router NTL gave us, theres no on/off, its just on! Its putting out a signal as i've connected to the router, just can't get onto the interweb!

• Advertisement

inst3.gif

Thats on router

capture.jpg

Thats on ur computer

Erper wrote: »
    inst3.gif

Thats on router

capture.jpg

Thats on ur computer

Don't know if it is necessarily what you were meaning for me to do, but i went into the properties part of the IPv4 connection and i found that it was set to use a specified DNS Server address rather than left to auto detect, so i changed it back to auto. Its now working perfectly.

Thanks!

No problemo... I like to help out...

Advertisement