Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats the maximum mortgage you can get nowdays?

Options
  • 03-01-2010 1:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭

In the boom times 100% mortgages were commonplace, but im wondering what is the standard nowdays? is it 90%, or as nasty as 80% of the property price?

I know it varies from bank to bank, but im just looking for a kind of average.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

I went with Ptsb and their max is 90%. I think AIB/BOI are still 92%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Eglinton

It very much depends on the bank/society. I have recently been offered up to 95% by both BoI and EBS but that's because I'm a long standing good customer. As said, both AIB and BoI are offering up to 92% for those with good savings and history. Other establishments seem to be a bit lower. I've heard that nowhere is offering more than 75% for investors or 2nd homes.

My personal opinion is that if you can't save 10% of the cost yourself then you have no business thinking about buying the place. This country's population needs to get back to the good practice of saving before making purchases be it for a house or flat screen tv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭fret_wimp

Eglinton wrote: »
    My personal opinion is that if you can't save 10% of the cost yourself then you have no business thinking about buying the place. This country's population needs to get back to the good practice of saving before making purchases be it for a house or flat screen tv.

I see your point, but there's also the point that property is so expensive in this country, that for something decent, its 350k ( in Dublin anyway), so that means you have to save 35k. most younger folks ( based on my friends and I at least, all late 20's) who left 3rd level education and got jobs in our early 20's, you dont have a hope of saving 35k before the age of 35.

In the good times, you would boost your income by moving jobs as your experience grows, but in an employers market, its better to stay in a lowish paying job thats permanent, than moving to a higher paid job where you have to go through probation again, and will not get redundancy if they decide they dont want you.

So, saying that you should be able to save 10% is all good and well, but thats dependent on prices being realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

fret_wimp wrote: »
    ...so that means you have to save 35k. most younger folks ( based on my friends and I at least, all late 20's) who left 3rd level education and got jobs in our early 20's, you dont have a hope of saving 35k before the age of 35.
    Don't have a hope :confused:...to save €35,000 in ten years, you would only need to be putting away approx €291 a month away. If you double that you could have the deposit in 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

So, saying that you should be able to save 10% is all good and well, but thats dependent on prices being realistic.

And that is the nail on head as what the problem over the last 10/15 years in Ireland has been.

I'm almost convinced there should be a law in place to prevent any mortgages over 90% given for principle primary residences.

If a person cannot prove they are disciplined to save 10% of whatever house they wish to purchase then they should not be given a mortgage. This used to be the general thinking in mortgages pre celtic tiger. It also counters the length of the mortaged needed (35 years? wtf?) and tries to keep some sort of sanity on the prices.

From 100% mortgages, credit union loans, personal loans, intergenerational equity release schemes.People and insitutions have tried to circumvent this rather basic common sense because they had to get into property immediately.

Prices were high so people need bigger deposits to pay for them. People paying those higher prices pushed up those prices even further needing more a deposit to bridge.

Now prices are falling back to earth deposits will fall as well. I just hope NAMA doesnt stick a floor on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

If you can't afford the 10% deposit, you can't afford the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

most younger folks ( based on my friends and I at least, all late 20's) who left 3rd level education and got jobs in our early 20's, you dont have a hope of saving 35k before the age of 35.

I have to disagree with this as well.

Anyone with an any way decent job should be able to save 35k in 3 or 4 years. That's only about 500 800 a month which should be doable if you're only renting.

I save between 1500 - 2000 a month and I don't have a huge income.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

AARRRGH wrote: »

Anyone with an any way decent job should be able to save 35k in 3 or 4 years. That's only about 500 a month which should be doable if you're only renting.

Damn. Maybe we should pressgang you into the dept of finance.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭fret_wimp

Anyone with an any way decent job should be able to save 35k in 3 or 4 years. That's only about 500 a month which should be doable if you're only renting.

its actally just a shade under 6 years at 500 euro a month.

(35000/500)/12 = 5.83 years

you save 2000 a month!!! Thats more than I earn in a month! my! so i have less than you save, before rent, bills, shopping and other essentials come out of it.
    I think you have a different perspective from me on this matter!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

I'm impressed. What's the secret? By the time I've paid out for the the mortgage, car loan, petrol, mobile bill, household bills, there's not a lot left. How do you manage entertainment, clothing, and the inevitable extras - say, the car insurance, health insurance, etc - that come everybody's way?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

most younger folks ( based on my friends and I at least, all late 20's) who left 3rd level education and got jobs in our early 20's, you dont have a hope of saving 35k before the age of 35.

Like fletch and AAGGGRH I'd have to disagree with this statement also. Assuming you are in full time employment since at least 25 years of age (picking what I might consider an average and realistic figure out of the sky) and you have not put anything near 35k together by 35 then I would consider it quite bad...This is assuming also you are putting away money all along with a view to buying a house.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

I take it he must live at home with Mammy?

Of course if you had your savings wisely invested you would be earning interest in it all the while so you could knock some months of your calculation in this regard fret_wimp.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

I see your point, but there's also the point that property is so expensive in this country, that for something decent, its 350k ( in Dublin anyway), so that means you have to save 35k. most younger folks ( based on my friends and I at least, all late 20's) who left 3rd level education and got jobs in our early 20's, you dont have a hope of saving 35k before the age of 35.

Then.

You buy somewhere for less, there's plenty of good areas for far less than 350k

You rent and save till you can afford it.

Saving 35k for a couple on avg ind wage isn't hard.

what's hard is sacraficing luxry's for that lenght of time, that's what's hard and what people don't want to do.
    In the good times, you would boost your income by moving jobs as your experience grows, but in an employers market, its better to stay in a lowish paying job thats permanent, than moving to a higher paid job where you have to go through probation again, and will not get redundancy if they decide they dont want you.

There was no good times, there just a load of debt and paper profit, the good times is what drove the prices to the prices you're now complaining about, make up your mind.

rent.

I'm impressed. What's the secret? By the time I've paid out for the the mortgage, car loan, petrol, mobile bill, household bills, there's not a lot left. How do you manage entertainment, clothing, and the inevitable extras - say, the car insurance, health insurance, etc - that come everybody's way?

The secret, don't tell anyone now, they'll all be at it.

Not buying an overpiced home.

Don't buy a car unless you can pay for it with cash.

Rent.

Etc etc etc.

shhhhhhhh

What's the secret?

I don't think theres any real secret about it apart from applying some common sense and a wee bit of budgeting. Admitately many people are not in a position to save due to personal/ family circumstances but many others are and seem to wrecklessly squander money all the same. Not good enough to have a regular run of the mill car, has to be a Bmw 530, or the top model Mini. Package holiday once a year not good enough, needs to be 3 or 4 half way around the world exotic trips. Just accepting your car or health insurance renewal quotation without ringing around for a better quote or not shopping round for better value be it in clothes, groceries, jewellery, electriacal appliances, petrol/ fuel etc. Drinking every second night of the week. I'm just talking about much of my peer group and work colleagues who would be on the average industrial wage if that for Christ sake. If you live the high life on a constant basis you will have to pay the price that goes with it. I don't see any reason in the world why most people in a half decent job cannot live an enjoyable life and put away a few quid at the same time.

Oops, sorry, fixed that.

you save 2000 a month!!! Thats more than I earn in a month! my! so i have less than you save, before rent, bills, shopping and other essentials come out of it.
    I think you have a different perspective from me on this matter!

Haha there's no secret! But here's a couple of things I do:

I very rarely drink in pubs, and go through phases of not drinking at all.
    I don't smoke.
    I don't have a car.
    I walk to work.
    I don't buy coffees/muffins/etc. every day.
    I don't eat a lot of junk food, although I go through phases on this.

I transfer my savings into my account as soon as I'm paid, and I have to live on the rest. So let's say I'm left with €400 after paying all my bills, etc. That's about €13 per day. So I know I only have €13 per day to live on. I then spend my money accordingly.

I became very good at doing this because for about 8 years I had horrible debt (combination of many things, including my own stupidity), so I now view money as something quite precious. I hate credit.

fletch wrote: »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renting and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saving. The bubble is over, time to get reacquainted with these concepts

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

No need to be sarcastic people.
    Certainly- there is an entire generation out there, who need to become aquainted with the concept of saving for something they need or want- and not borrowing for it.

When I bought my townhouse- I paid 15% of the principal from savings, it involved working 2 fulltime jobs for 3 years, but I did it. Its not impossible, or even improbable- it takes determination and sacrifice to save and not squander your earnings. This is a concept that people have to relearn (or learn if they've never practised it).

S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Don't have a hope :confused:...to save €35,000 in ten years, you would only need to be putting away approx €291 a month away. If you double that you could have the deposit in 5 years.

Some people can't even save that much. It is difficult for some to do.

Anyone with an any way decent job should be able to save 35k in 3 or 4 years. That's only about 500 800 a month which should be doable if you're only renting.

This is bullshít. If you can save 2K a month, then you are on a huge income, regardless of what you say...
    ntlbell wrote: »
    Then.

You buy somewhere for less, there's plenty of good areas for far less than 350k

You rent and save till you can afford it.

Saving 35k for a couple on avg ind wage isn't hard.

For a couple, it wouldn't be, but the average industrial wage has come down a considerable amount in the past 18 months, while rent has not come down that much at all. Reports indicate that the average rent is just over 700 a month in dublin. This is a load of crap. They take into account all the uninhabitable accomodation. It is extremely difficult for a couple to find a 2 bed apartment for less than 1K that is somewhat decent. Quite easy if you are single and willing to share with other people. That's the only place I can see you saving, and even still, some greedy landlords are still looking for 500 + for a single room...

As for purchasing a house for less, that is very doable. There are plenty of houses on the market, 2 and 3 bedrooms for 130K 140K, you will have to commute, but that's the price you pay.

There was no good times, there just a load of debt and paper profit, the good times is what drove the prices to the prices you're now complaining about, make up your mind.

CT forum is that way
    >

rent.

This is supposed to be a joke?
    ntlbell wrote: »
    The secret, don't tell anyone now, they'll all be at it.

Not buying an overpiced home.

Don't buy a car unless you can pay for it with cash.

Rent.

Etc etc etc.

shhhhhhhh

• Advertisement

For a couple, it wouldn't be, but the average industrial wage has come down a considerable amount in the past 18 months, while rent has not come down that much at all. Reports indicate that the average rent is just over 700 a month in dublin. This is a load of crap. They take into account all the uninhabitable accomodation. It is extremely difficult for a couple to find a 2 bed apartment for less than 1K that is somewhat decent. Quite easy if you are single and willing to share with other people. That's the only place I can see you saving, and even still, some greedy landlords are still looking for 500 + for a single room...

why would a couple need a 2 bed apartment?

You can get a perfectly fine 1 bed apartment in a nice enough area for 700e.

As for purchasing a house for less, that is very doable. There are plenty of houses on the market, 2 and 3 bedrooms for 130K 140K, you will have to commute, but that's the price you pay.

There's houses close to dublin city for a hell of a lot less than 350k. no commute needed
    This is supposed to be a joke?

Renting when you can't afford to buy a joke? sure.

while rent has not come down that much at all.
    Wrong.

This is bullshít. If you can save 2K a month, then you are on a huge income, regardless of what you say...

It's not bull****. I am not on a huge income. I'm just good with money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 MiniLover

Myself and my partner have just got planning permission. When we first applied for permission we also engaged with the banks and had submitted all the information required for the mortgage application and it was looking hopeful, but that was last August! We had a good bit of difficulty with the planners so therefore put the Mort application on hold until we knew we had planning for definite. I called the bank this week to let them know we have permission but they said that they needed our information again as a lot of time has passed. We now have to re-submit a salary certificate, fill out a new application form and show evidence of saving. We dont have any savings, but we do own the land we are building on, which was valued at 50k. Previously, the bank seemed happy with the land and the fact that we were building for alot less than the eventual worth as security enough! Combined we earn in excess of 90,000k, we are only looking for 275,000 and we both have good credit history, in fact, my partner has never had a loan! I am getting bad vibes but that could just be a bit of panicking! Are we likely to have trouble with a lender? (we are dealing with AIB now)

MiniLover wrote: »
    Myself and my partner have just got planning permission. When we first applied for permission we also engaged with the banks and had submitted all the information required for the mortgage application and it was looking hopeful, but that was last August! We had a good bit of difficulty with the planners so therefore put the Mort application on hold until we knew we had planning for definite. I called the bank this week to let them know we have permission but they said that they needed our information again as a lot of time has passed. We now have to re-submit a salary certificate, fill out a new application form and show evidence of saving. We dont have any savings, but we do own the land we are building on, which was valued at 50k. Previously, the bank seemed happy with the land and the fact that we were building for alot less than the eventual worth as security enough! Combined we earn in excess of 90,000k, we are only looking for 275,000 and we both have good credit history, in fact, my partner has never had a loan! I am getting bad vibes but that could just be a bit of panicking! Are we likely to have trouble with a lender? (we are dealing with AIB now)

no can you give you an answer.

Wait and see what the banks says

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Spot on fletch. its because too many people here thing they deserve everything, the new car, the 2-3 holidays a year, go out every weekend, for dinner, concerts etc.

If you want to buy a house then you have to make an effort of saving for it. Home ownership isnt an entitlement

if somebody cant save 800 a month after their rent then they cant afford a mortgage anyway.

Some people can't even save that much. It is difficult for some to do.

if somebody couldnt save that ontop of rent then why in the hell would they be looking to get a mortgage ?? How out of touch with reality do people have to get in terms of understanding what saffordable to them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

I know he's kicking himself he's kicking himslef he's not living in an overpriced shoebox that will be a slum in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

Oops, sorry, fixed that.

Haha there's no secret! But here's a couple of things I do:

I very rarely drink in pubs, and go through phases of not drinking at all.
    I don't smoke.
    I don't have a car.
    I walk to work.
    I don't buy coffees/muffins/etc. every day.
    I don't eat a lot of junk food, although I go through phases on this.

I transfer my savings into my account as soon as I'm paid, and I have to live on the rest. So let's say I'm left with €400 after paying all my bills, etc. That's about €13 per day. So I know I only have €13 per day to live on. I then spend my money accordingly.

I became very good at doing this because for about 8 years I had horrible debt (combination of many things, including my own stupidity), so I now view money as something quite precious. I hate credit.

Sorry but the biggest factor is the decision not to have a wife and children....I remember when I used to save 2k a month and a good job I did because once your family start to grow, life is expensive. :)

Advertisement