Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laptop getting slow on boot up

• 03-01-2010 1:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭

My netbook has gotten pretty slow on boot up in recent weeks and slow over all. I have Norton installed which is such a pain so can anyone suggest a replacement (I already have AVG running). Is there anything else I can do to speed things up?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

I have genuine suggestions: remove all virus scanners from your PC, disable Windows automatic updates (and any other automatic update such as Adobe's, JAVA's, etc.), and then just run a stringent firewall on top of your Internet browser.

Kevin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Comodo is good:
    http://personalfirewall.comodo.com/download_firewall.html
    Antivirus built in too, maybe replacing AVG mith save some resources if it's all in one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

also you could try MSCONFIG and check what programmes you have on start up.

go to start menu->run->type in msconfig->go to the start up tab(should be last on right)->then click any software you dont need on start up e.g adobe,IM,Micro$oft office etc and when finished click apply.

You will have to restart your pc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Lab_Mouse wrote: »

go to start menu->run->type in msconfig->go to the start up tab(should be last on right)->then click any software you dont need on start up e.g adobe,IM,Micro$oft office etc and when finished click apply.

+1 but you may still get programmes in the future starting up, so I chose 'selective start up' and no worries since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

I removed avg from 2 machines running xp about a month ago because an update started killing processor utilisation. Reinstalling windows should get you back on track though.

Also, do still you have both Norton and avg installed?? If yes, try totally uninstalling the norton junk even if its inactive as there will be background processes running attached to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Sean!

Lab_Mouse wrote: »

This.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭fuelinjection

AVG is free but killed my poor old Toshiba. Have Norton now (was free with laptop for 18 months) and i disable the Notron firewall and all the rest of the crap like auto-defragmenting and backup. Speed is good but Norton does slow up my computer on startup. I find that Windows firewall is fine and I have Spybot installed to catch the malware stuff as well.
    Sometimes its acceptable to slow down the startup speed to be protected. In my opinion AVG is not good (even though it is faster) and Norton has too many thing to do - until you disable them yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,230 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

norton shouldnt be defragging unless you have 360. in which case, youre on your own.
    RD77 wrote: »
    My netbook has gotten pretty slow on boot up in recent weeks and slow over all. I have Norton installed which is such a pain so can anyone suggest a replacement (I already have AVG running). Is there anything else I can do to speed things up?
    yeah: dont run two antivirus at the same time. Ever.

Thats probably your entire problem in a nutshell.

Advertisement