Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Major problem

• 03-01-2010 2:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭

Been having a recurring problem lately. My laptop will work grand for a good while, maybe no problems for a few days,but every now and again the following problem occurs:

the computer freezes for a few seconds. When it begins to work again, if you click one thing in a window, you arnt able to highlight or click anything else in that window. You have to click outside that window[eg.click another windows tab on the taskbar], then go back to the window you were orginally working on, and you can click again, but you must go through this all again if you want to clikc more than one thing on a page[or change page].

When the problem occurs, I am also not able to use the drag function on programs such as VLC , to drag the time along etc.

Anyone know whats happening here?
    Apologies if my problem is a bit cyrytic etc, been a long night!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

I think it's a Microsoft Windows issue, and I've had to endure similar problems to what you're talking about for a long time now. I get the feeling that Microsoft Windows just isn't the best at context-switching when multiple windows are open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

Any luck getting rid of the issue?

No, I've just learned to live with it. I think it began when I updated to Internet Explorer 7.0, which was when Microsoft introduced the 'multiple tabs' feature (i.e. where you can have multiple web-pages open in tabs in the same window, similar to what Firefox had done)

Kevin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

But its not just a problem with broswers?

Hmm, no it only seems to be Internet Explorer for me. It affects other windows though, if that's what you mean. For example, if I amen't using Internet Explorer and just have media player, My Computer, and other apps. open, then there's no problem. If I then opened IE too, then problems would occur.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

Some suggestions:

Update to IE8
    Disable unused add-ons in IE8.
    Clear all temp internet files and cookies
    Ensure all windows updates are installed.
    Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Kevster wrote: »
    Hmm, no it only seems to be Internet Explorer for me.

By any chance do you have the AVG virus scanner installed ?
    There's a module in that called "Link Scanner" which checks all the web page links... could be causing the problem. I disabled it on my laptop.

If you have another virus scanner, it may do something similar.

No, I don't run any virus scanner at all. it doesn't really bother me anymore, and I'll continue to use IE over Firefox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

Download AVG antivirus, or ms security antivirus ,its free.
    Anyone using the internet should have a scanner installed.YOU probably MALWARE AND SPYWARE on the laptop which is slowing down the pc ,and may be recoding info like logins ,passwords .credit card nos bank ac info, a laptop with no scanner is an easy target for bot networks.

Advertisement