Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor samsung tocco lite

Options
  • 03-01-2010 2:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭

I bought a samsung tocco lite phone 2 weeks ago, only opened it the other day (for christmas) and I'm after discovering half my credit is gone.

The phone on meteor comes with all the internet applications- apprentice, google maps blah blah blah. These are in the little widget menu. They're system locked, so can't delete them or even just take them off the menu. Its a touch screen phone so its easy to hit off them by accident. Meteor does tethering- you get charged €1 up to 50kb, whether you use 1kb or 50kb, so each time I hit off it I get charged a euro.

I didn't know this when I bought it. No-one said a word to me, its not on the website or anything. I don't want the phone if its going to keep taking money off me, they said my only option is to get the phone flashed-which costs up to €35 and voids my warranty. What are my rights in this situation?:):)

Comments

As far as Im aware, Metoer chage you 99c per day to use their internet service. That's how it is with my phone anyway (Sony Ericsson W595, Purchased about a week prior to christmas).

It doesn't matter how many times you accidentally access the net, so long as it's all in the same 24hr period (of course you'll get charged if you go over a certain amount of KB, so if you go to Youtube or anything then you'll be raped).

I just accessed the net there now, and left it on for about 10 seconds before exiting, and I wasn't charged (I didn't click any links, just let it load up and then exited).

I doubt this is how you're losing credit. Are you sure you haven't signed up to any of those mobilse ringtone or games services or anything like that (accidentally or intentionally).

Once you're familiar with the phone, I doubt you'll continue to accidentally do it. I don't think there's anything Meteor can do for you, as you just don't like the phone. I believe it is up to the customer to research the products prior to purchase.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

On PAYG Meteor do indeed charge a upto 99c fee for net access charged per kb and once you hit a charge upto 99c this gives you 50MB to play with and your not charged per kb anymore.

In relation to saying you don't want the phone because you keep connecting to the internet by accident, well I know two people with this model of phone and they actually never use the net on it either by request or by accident.

Meteor really are not doing anything wrong here, its how your using your phone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Why don't you log in and check where your credit is going on their website? I was a meteor customer from their launch until about a month ago (yay iPhone!), and the website always had that info.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

I have to agree with all the other posters. It's not meteors fault that you keep hitting off the button accidentally. It is annoying that you can't delete any of the crap that is on the phone. I got a new mobile yesterday off them and there is none of that on it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭elaine93

I rang meteor and asked them to check where the credit was going and they said it was that each time you hit off an app it will charge you the 99c (especially google maps, where the first page is 50kbs by itself) and thats where the credit is gone. I wouldn't mind if I was able to change the menu so it wouldn't be there, but since the whole phone is a big ad for the apprentice (apprentice unseen app is locked into the menu, apprentice screensaver is locked) I can't. I researched the phone online, never saw a word about locked apps, I wouldn't have bought the phone had I known they were there.

Also I'm aware that they talk about the internet charges on the website, they do not talk about locked apps or screensavers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Got this phone for Xmas too.Have a look at the right hand side of the phone,you can lock it. I also accidentally rang half my phonebook as I'm used to Nokia's auto lock system!Lost a tenner!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

You can set all these programs to warn you before connecting to the net....

I own a Nokia N95 on PAYG with all the bells and whistles - if I hit Google Maps it's default to offline use unless I want to go online, if I hit the Net it will ask me how I wish to connect and any of my other additional programs like Fring etc. are set not to open on start-up

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Got this phone for Xmas too.Have a look at the right hand side of the phone,you can lock it. I also accidentally rang half my phonebook as I'm used to Nokia's auto lock system!Lost a tenner!

o/t:

The samsung should have a similar setting for auto lock, you just gotta switch it on...errr I think :o I don't own that model but it uses the same OS as my phone.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

elaine93 wrote: »
    I rang meteor and asked them to check where the credit was going and they said it was that each time you hit off an app it will charge you the 99c (especially google maps, where the first page is 50kbs by itself) and thats where the credit is gone. I wouldn't mind if I was able to change the menu so it wouldn't be there, but since the whole phone is a big ad for the apprentice (apprentice unseen app is locked into the menu, apprentice screensaver is locked) I can't. I researched the phone online, never saw a word about locked apps, I wouldn't have bought the phone had I known they were there.

Also I'm aware that they talk about the internet charges on the website, they do not talk about locked apps or screensavers.

I have the same phone on the same network and I don't have this issue at all. I have mine customised the way I want it with all Meteor crap out of sight. It just takes a little while to get used to so have allok around your setting etc and you'll sort it out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭elaine93

Its not to do with it being in my pocket. The applications that cost money are locked into the widget menu, so when you go to say, write a text and bounce off google maps, bye bye credit. There is no option on meteor to warn you when you are about to go onto the internet, thats only on vodafone. I have spent ages trying to fix it, then looked at the meteor message board to see loads of complaints. The only way to fix it is to flash the phone, which voids my warranty, which I'm not doing

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

You can remove/move items in your widget. Move the ones that can't be removed to the bottom of the widget out of the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

elaine93 wrote: »
    Its not to do with it being in my pocket. The applications that cost money are locked into the widget menu, so when you go to say, write a text and bounce off google maps, bye bye credit. There is no option on meteor to warn you when you are about to go onto the internet, thats only on vodafone. I have spent ages trying to fix it, then looked at the meteor message board to see loads of complaints. The only way to fix it is to flash the phone, which voids my warranty, which I'm not doing

You do realise there is 1000kb in 1mb right?

Some of the lads have told you on here it is 99c for 50mb per day.

you said Google maps takes up 50kb to load. That means you would have to push that button 1000 times a day to even get to go over the 50mb.

I could be wrong with the above but just from reading this thread OP I think you have confused the difference from KB and MB as have whoever you talked to in Meteor if the others on here are right about the cost per day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

You do realise there is 1000kb in 1mb right?

Some of the lads have told you on here it is 99c for 50mb per day.

you said Google maps takes up 50kb to load. That means you would have to push that button 1000 times a day to even get to go over the 50mb.

I could be wrong with the above but just from reading this thread OP I think you have confused the difference from KB and MB as have whoever you talked to in Meteor if the others on here are right about the cost per day.

Yep, unfortunately that's wrong...

once you go over circa. 50KB, it charges you the 99c, you can then use the remaining balance of MB as you like, up until 23:59

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Jev/N wrote: »
    Yep, unfortunately that's wrong...

once you go over circa. 50KB, it charges you the 99c, you can then use the remaining balance of MB as you like, up until 23:59

Cheers for clearing that up. I was basing my reply on the other posts on here.

Advertisement