Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need new musical interests

Options
  • 03-01-2010 3:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭

this is probably an unusual thread but i am a 17 year old lad and i feel i am stuck in a rut in what i listen to
    right now its strictly the clash and bob dylan with small dashings of other stuff ( bob marley lisa hannigan the jam)
    i was hoping you would all throw out suggestions of bands i should check out to diversify my tastes as i feel it is unhealthy to stick to one or two genres

p.s no techno or dance thats fine in a club but not on an ipod

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Perhaps you could give jazz and blues a try ? Look up some of these names on You Tube and see what you think.

John Mayall, Eric Clapton, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Taj Mahal, Peter Greene, Gary Moore, Michael Brecker, Mike Stern, John Mc Laughlin, Dave Holland, Miles Davis ( I discovered him when I was about your age ;) ).

Dont decide after one or two listens, as some of this music takes a while to "grow on you".

Report back at a later stage and let me know what you think. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I'd definitely try some Jazz if I was you, one of my favourites is Esbjorn Svensson:

Rigsby is right about some music taking a while to grow on you.

I've been listening to Tom Waits a lot lately, you might want to give him a listen to as well:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭TheBandit

Jazz: Miles Davis, from kind of blue. This is probably the first jazz album anyone should listen to. Really melodic and not bipp bop blarrrh!! m

Folk...ish: Joni Mitchell is fantastic, definitely worth checking out, best female artist of the last century

Classical: Piano piece by Erik Satie. A lot of people are don't listen to classical music because of its generally pompous audience and because its perceived as being boring. You'll miss out on some amazing music if you ignore this genre. If you like this piece i'll be happy to give more recommendations.

Post Rock: Mogwai are a fantastic band, can't recommend them enough. Bloody brilliant live too.

Shoegaze: My Bloody Valentine

i'd second the Esbjorn Svensson Trio and Tom Waits vote ,both fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 kavanagm

Oh to be 17 again !
    Funny thing is though you will never ever stop discovering new music that was out years ago through getting into various bands and looking through their influences..

Massive Attack, Super Furry Animals, Primal Scream, Doves, Tom Waits, Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds, The Velvet Underground, The Mighty Stef, The Last Tycoons (both from Dublin) are all current favs of mine..
    Check em all out on myspace, youtube etc..
    So many though..

Do yourself a favor and buy this, i got it few years ago when it was about 100 quid, still opened up so many new musical doors

http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/478347/Martin-Scorsese-Presents-The-Blues-Box-Set/Product.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭lisajane

I'm in the same position as you OP. Trying to find new music to listen to, so good thread OP. The same old thing gets fairly boring. I used to listen to alot of pop and whatever that was on the radio. Alot that is on the radio is just chart stuff. I can't stand it now.

Recently started to listen to country music, american country. And i must admit some of it is quite good. Recently discovered George Strait and he is probably one of my favourites after Garth Brooks. Johnny cash, Steve Wariner, John Denver, Willie Nelson, Kenny Rogers, Trisha Yearwood, Roger Miller, Hank Williams are all good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭not bakunin

I'm going to add to the Jazz and Blues pile here. It has to be the most intense, beautiful music going. Many find Jazz in particular tough going at first, but keep listening, in no time you'll be fully engaged (that is if you're like myself, I'm an 18yo male and was a fan of The Clash and Dylan before anything else). Try John Coltrane and Davis, as suggested above. Charles Mingus is another one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__OSyznVDOY

As for the blues...well if ya dig, ya dig! Muddy Waters, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Albert King, Howlin' Wolf, Buddy Guy, Taste, Rory Gallagher are all a few of my own favorites. Nothing better than sticking on a bit of Muddy and listening to the old guy tell the story of his life through music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5IOou6qN1o

Hope you get into these suggestions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Maybe you could listen to some classical music. I recommend The Planets by Gustav Holst and The Rite Of Spring by Igor Stravinsky.

I would also recommend a band called Love, especially their 1967 album Forever Changes. The Byrds were a great band too. Then there's Nick Drake, he was/is an amazing musician.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,942 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Bruce Springsteen, you don't know music 'til you listen to Bruce!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭TheBandit

I don't know about rite of spring as your first step into classical after listening to clash/dylan and the like, something easier to listen to like Tchaikovsky piano concerto i'd say. Really melodic and catchy, you probably already know the start from films, ads etc

• Advertisement
Advertisement