Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building Titan Nero from OCUK

Options
  • 03-01-2010 4:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I was thinking of building a system similar to this. Just wondering what ye think of the spec? It seems to have got good reviews from people that have bought it already. It would be my first build BTW!
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

im presuming its for gaming, whats your expectation on performance?

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭kfk

Ya, its mostly for gaming. As for performance, I would like it to run most new games on a decent level, not too bothered about max settings. Im not sure about the 400w power supply, would this be enough? From what I have read, the 5770 graphics card is a good one for the price. Because it is a first build, I do not want to spend huge money in case I screw it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

kfk wrote: »
    Ya, its mostly for gaming. As for performance, I would like it to run most new games on a decent level, not too bothered about max settings. Im not sure about the 400w power supply, would this be enough? From what I have read, the 5770 graphics card is a good one for the price. Because it is a first build, I do not want to spend huge money in case I screw it up.

Short answer: ditch the spec, do some research and go your own way.....

Long Answer.....

Motherboard is an older nforce4 chipset: avoid.

Case: spec it up to an antec 300. (less than €50 and the best budget case on the market)

Power supply: spec it up to a 500W or 600W Corsair. A 400W Corsair is enough to run the spec on overclockers, but really is not good enough for future proofing when you start upgrading.

Trust me: once you got the building bug you WILL be upgrading in a year or so....;)

Hard Drive: go for Samsung 500-1000 gig harddrive. Fastest drives on the market atm and cheap. The 500 gig starts at under €50

Gfx card: 5770 tis a grand card, low power consumption and very low noise. Not any faster than a 4870 which you can get slightly cheaper. But for you I think it's a good choice and worth going for.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

To be fair a stock HD5770 is nice and pretty frugal, but if you ignore power efficiency you can OC the stones off them. And once you start overvolting them... ;)

Also bear in mind a tri-core CPU would be a bit more futureproof, and the price difference between an X2-245 and an X3-435 (both 2.9GHz parts) is usually under €20 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Solitaire wrote: »
    To be fair a stock HD5770 is nice and pretty frugal, but if you ignore power efficiency you can OC the stones off them. And once you start overvolting them... ;)

Also bear in mind a tri-core CPU would be a bit more futureproof, and the price difference between an X2-245 and an X3-435 (both 2.9GHz parts) is usually under €20 :)
    recommend an Asus 5770 as their warrenty covers overvolting, also their cards have higher max overclock settings set in the bios for overclocking through CCC, otherwise you need to use something like MSI Afterburner to override the max.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Leman_Russ

I have an Asus 5770 and I will tell you now, stay AWAY from the ASUS Drivers/Overclocking utilities like the plauge. Get the Drives from the AMD main site and MSI's Afterburner for Overclocking/volting

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭kfk

Thanks for the replies
    Where do ye think is the best place to order components online?

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

kfk wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies
    Where do ye think is the best place to order components online?

http://www1.hardwareversand.de/home.jsp

Shippings a bit much IMO (30Quid) Next up i would think is Komplett.ie? could be wrong, theres loads of sites, that have some good offer's

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Yarnhall

Mister Man wrote: »
    http://www1.hardwareversand.de/home.jsp

Shippings a bit much IMO (30Quid) Next up i would think is Komplett.ie? could be wrong, theres loads of sites, that have some good offer's

I built a system Sept/nov last year and all included (mobo, ram, cpu, drives, case etc) Komplett & Overclockers.co.uk came out at about the same price. Took 2 days to get it from OCUK (they had the case I wanted) but you can pick stuff up from Komplett in Blanch directly http://www.komplett.ie/k/k.asp?action=custserv&topic=del#PUP. First order on OCUK needs to be delivered to the card holders address. I've ordered stuff off tekheads.co.uk before (early '09), never had problems with all three of them (touch wood)

Advertisement