Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living recommendations

Options
  • 03-01-2010 5:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

I'm moving to Dublin from NYC in a couple months and was hoping some of you could give me living recommendations.

I'll be working around Stephens Green, then eventually in the Dockland area as my company will be moving.

I was living off of Baggot street (Heytesbury lane (sp?)) for a couple weeks, and there were times when I was walking home at night, and I felt a little uneasy. Maybe it was just the new surroundings and there not being many people around on some of the streets, something I'm not used to. I don't know.

Preferably, I'd like to be able to walk to work, as from what I have heard from people is that the public transportation in Dublin leaves something to be desired. Not to mention, I love the freedom walking to work/home gives you, you don't ever have to worry about train/bus schedules. What does everyone think about living in the grand canal/dockland area? Is it nice/safe? Is living in the city in general safe?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Massive Muscles

If you felt uncomfortable around Heytesbury lane (Ballsbridge) then you are in trouble.

That is exactly the area I would reccomend to you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

mmille24 wrote: »
    What does everyone think about living in the grand canal/dockland area?

Well if you didn't like Heytesbury Lane you certainly won't like the docklands.

How about somewhere around Stephen's Green? What is your aprox monthly budget for rent and will try come up with more suggestions for you.

What part of NYC were you living/working in previously?

(Ps. Are you American coming to Ireland or Irish returning to Ireland? - just out of interest!)

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭mmille24

It wasn't so much that I didn't like Heytesbury lane, I think it was just different for me, I'm used to there being a lot of people around. By the end of the two weeks, I felt more comfortable. If I'm told I shouldn't feel uncomfortable, then I won't. I've just always been trained to not walk around late at night where there are no other people around.

I guess I'm looking to spend around 1000 USD. I was living in the east village, I'm an American coming to Ireland.

Advertisement