Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

metallica + slipknot RDS 2004

Options
  • 03-01-2010 7:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭

just listening to vol3 subliminal versus by slipknot, and its bringin back some good memories. they had just released it and i bought my tickets to see them in the rds, it was my first ever really big kinda gig and i creamed my pants when i seen the size of the stage an all that, that whole day of waking up at 8am to go Que with a load of people dressed in boiler suits and freak masks is all going in that rare book of insane gigs

but i tried googling it and i couldnt find any videos or pictures or nothing,

does anybody have any memoir of this? its one of my all time fav kid-gig moments ill never forget!

:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I got Kirk's plectrum that he played One with :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I have Metallicas set from it(good old live-metallica) and a t-shirt somewhere I think

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

hexagramer wrote: »
    does anybody have any memoir of this? its one of my all time fav kid-gig moments ill never forget!

as the mighty metallikur partook in the event any documentation is probably subject to copyright. try their official live show purchase app on itunes, soon the world will be aflood with metallikur live albums straight from the desk :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

I actually caught a pleck thrown by James, but some fecker stole it out of my hands and legged it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

hexagramer wrote: »
    just listening to vol3 subliminal versus by slipknot, and its bringin back some good memories. they had just released it and i bought my tickets to see them in the rds, it was my first ever really big kinda gig and i creamed my pants when i seen the size of the stage an all that, that whole day of waking up at 8am to go Que with a load of people dressed in boiler suits and freak masks is all going in that rare book of insane gigs

but i tried googling it and i couldnt find any videos or pictures or nothing,

That one was a superb gig. Lots of variety by Metallica. Beautiful day too, in spite of the appalling weather we had in Summer 2004

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

One serious gig, (from what I can remember of it anyway!):eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭hexagramer

Het-Field wrote: »
    That one was a superb gig. Lots of variety by Metallica. Beautiful day too, in spite of the appalling weather we had in Summer 2004

exactly, whether was burning hot thruout the day as far as i remember, lostprophets got a smashing of bottles aswell which was ****ed.

i remember lots of things from slipknots set too.

iv seen metallica and slipknot on different gigs a few times afterwards but nothing made up for what i seen at this show....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Ah I remember it alright. Went with a few of my mates and like the OP, it was my first time at a venue that size. I had been to the Point before but RDS was great (Prefer there to Marley Park).

Had such a great time at it anyway. Might have a look for the live set. Be interesting hearing it 6 years later :P

Man I was 14 at that, doesn't feel like that long ago :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Slipknots sound was terrible, killed the atmosphere for them for me. Metallica on the other hand were insane. Was that the year they opened with blackened? If it was then its the year i got knocked out like 30 seconds in...woke up in a first aid tent about 5 songs later. Had to pull a legger to get back into the crowd! Good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bigbadcon

I cracked open my smuggled in bottle of vodka during slipknot and the rest of the day/night is a blur unfortunately :confused:

remember thinking it was awesome though... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I have the metallica set on a tape somewhere,recorded it off 2fm.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Patricide wrote: »
    Was that the year they opened with blackened?

It sure was.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Savage gig, even though I spent half of it trying to protect a very small and terrified friend! Hadn't really listened to Slipknot at all beforehand, was amazed at how good they are live.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Thought Slipknot sounded amazing and I would have been kinda anti Slipknot before hand. Completely changed my opinion on them seeing them live.

Maybe it was just our respective stage positions, you know the way it goes.

Vegeta wrote: »
    Thought Slipknot sounded amazing and I would have been kinda anti Slipknot before hand. Completely changed my opinion on them seeing them live.

Maybe it was just our respective stage positions, you know the way it goes.
    True, i wasnt in the pit for slipknot but anyone who was closer to the stage said that it sounded amazing. I was in the middle of the crowd for them and I thought they sounded like muck! And im a Slipknot fan. When they played the following june it was all made up for though. What a gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Was this the one with lost prophets where they got bottled off the stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Was this the one with lost prophets where they got bottled off the stage?

Twas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭allen175

Ah, this was one of my first propper gigs! i can still remember it very well!

Managed to get a pit pass of one of my mates who had a spare one and managed to stay up front for most of it, eventually getting forced towards the middle of the pit for metallica.

Wasn't really into the lost prophets, but they didn't deserve getting bottled, but i thought it was very funny at the time.

I had heard a few slipknot songs and thought that they weren't really my cup of tea but i really liked them when they played! me and my mate got the crap scared out of us when the lead singer told everyone to get down! we didn't have a clue what was going on, we looked at the security and they just told us to get down for our safety :( but it was really fun!

And Metallica, i had been listening to them for a few years before 2004 and kept wishing for them to come and then seeing them for the first time at this was just amazing, possible they best time i had seen them. Caught one plec that was thrown out, i think it was rob that threw it, and then the next year i caught 2. Can't remember which year each of the plecs came from. I have a black one with the new M on it, and then i have 2 white ones, one with Rob's face on it and the other with Lars face on it for some reason!

I think that the 2004 gig can be downloaded from live.metallica.com but its just metallica's set.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,614 ✭✭✭Mozzeltoff

One of the better Metallica gigs I attended!!Got into the pit by pretending to be "sick" and moshed my lil heart out for em!That was the year they played No leaf clover too!Was in my element!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

That was my first proper date with my loverman. hahah. Went in really early to sit in some metal railing queue in the RDS carpark witha bunch of drunk, passed out and puking 15 year olds in the beating sun... Didn't even get passes for about 4 hours. Weren't allowed out :rolleyes: This little spa & his buddy from my town threw a water bottle up and it wet me and my boyf, then they were shoving and I got knocked into so I swung said spa a good kick and the bouncer lifted me out and ripped off my pass and told me to go outside. I just went through a gap in the railing back to my place in the queue...

Inside I got to the front row at the very left where the wooden wall for pit entrance was. That was cool. Slipknot, as I've posted before were sucky. The sound was off between drums and bass so was a big old mess.

My boyf sold his pit pass then for hot dog and beer money. Funny cos, I ended up getting given a ripped pit pass by some random lad! I used my hair bobbin on my wrist to secure it and kept coming out again so boyf wasn't left alone. That was a class concert! I remember bouncing around to Enter Sandman, and all the pyrotech. Happy days :) The next two weren't as good at all...

• Advertisement

That gig got me back in to slipknot, i was gone off them at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭bigjigwig77

Twas one of my first big gigs and stayed my favourate for years. Still wear the metallica t-shirt I bought off the street for a fiver!

The lostprophets getting bottled was really funny, what was a band like that doing opening for metallica and slipknot anyway? I remember reading a kerrang issue where they said it was the worst gig they ever played!

It was also the first time I really heard slipknot and got me liking them for the first time.

And Metallica... Awesome, finishing with Whiskey in the Jar was the icing on the cake!

Twas one of my first big gigs and stayed my favourate for years. Still wear the metallica t-shirt I bought off the street for a fiver!

The lostprophets getting bottled was really funny, what was a band like that doing opening for metallica and slipknot anyway? I remember reading a kerrang issue where they said it was the worst gig they ever played!

It was also the first time I really heard slipknot and got me liking them for the first time.

And Metallica... Awesome, finishing with Whiskey in the Jar was the icing on the cake!
    Yeah i remember reading the same thing. Its funny in a way but also sad to think that ireland gets this reputation!

Patricide wrote: »
    Yeah i remember reading the same thing. Its funny in a way but also sad to think that ireland gets this reputation!

Not just Ireland,'Him' got booed constantly when they supported Metallica at Wembley in 2007. They didn't take it to well at all. The lead singer was almost in tears at the end of the set.:D:D

And the ultimate one fingered salute,a Metalli-fan conga during HIMs set!:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bigbadcon

lord lucan wrote: »
    Not just Ireland,'Him' got booed constantly when they supported Metallica at Wembley in 2007. They didn't take it to well at all. The lead singer was almost in tears at the end of the set.:D:D

I was there right beside that conga line.Im probably in that video somewhere!

Felt really bad for them cause ive never seen a whole stadium stick up there fingers at a band before.

At one stage eveyone turned their backs on them too.

In fairness though they werent suited at all in a line up of Mastodon,Machine head and the Tallica..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

At that gig the following things happened to me:

-I got kicked in the head by a crowd surfer.
    -I went crowd surfing and kicked multiple people in the head
    -I was in the pit and some homeless guy put his hand in my mouth.

Still was a great gig. listen to it every now and again on bootleg.

bigbadcon wrote: »
    I was there right beside that conga line.Im probably in that video somewhere!

Felt really bad for them cause ive never seen a whole stadium stick up there fingers at a band before.

At one stage eveyone turned their backs on them too.

In fairness though they werent suited at all in a line up of Mastodon,Machine head and the Tallica..

Yeah,they were the wrong type of band for a bill like that. Machine head were way better even with crap sound. The same as having Linkin park on the bill with Metallica here in 2003,there isn't a huge crossover in fans between the 2 genres. I know i'll get flamed for it but i thoroughly enjoyed the reaction to HIM that day,great bit of craic.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

I have the metallica set on a tape somewher
    e,recorded it off 2fm.

Me too!!! On tape no less. This was also my first proper gig, still remember it as one of the best gigs Ive been to. Slipknot and Metallica, awesome combo, have seen metallica '06, '08 afterwards and have tickets for this year. Great set list that time:

Setlist:
    Blackened
    Fuel
    Sad But True
    Fade To Black
    Frantic
    Holier Than Thou
    King Nothing
    Wherever I May Roam
    St. Anger
    Creeping Death
    Battery
    - - -
    No Leaf Clover
    Nothing Else Matters
    Master of Puppets
    One
    Enter Sandman
    - - -
    Whiskey In The Jar
    Seek And Destroy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

lord lucan wrote: »

Notwithstanding the epic that was 2004, Wembley 2007 eclipsed all I have seen and will see of Metallica. The Wembley gig was the best I ever went to !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

The lostprophets getting bottled was really funny, what was a band like that doing opening for metallica and slipknot anyway?

I know they're not the ideal band as a support act but I still think them being bottled was a bit harsh. I mean, if that was your band and you got the opportunity to play with a band like Metallica you'd probably take it.

But it was funny when I saw a group of 3 people wearing Lost Prophets T-shirts amongst all the other metal shirts. The only one's I saw the entire day.

Advertisement