Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tir na nog the lost castle

Options
  • 03-01-2010 10:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

anyone know the story behind "Tir na nog The lost castle" on the abandoned ireland website?
    just curious!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

From the pictures it looks like a medieval castle with a lot of later additions right up until the 20th century, there is even a fair bit of late 18th early 19th century structures there. Without a name to the place or a location more specific than "Tipperary" I cant tell you anymore.

The Lost Castle or Tir na nOg I suspect are names given to it by AI. Its more likely called "townland name" castle or something simular. Tir na Nog of course was supposed to be an island off the West Coast so Id say the name in this case is more poetic than real. I feckin hope so otherwise Ill have to rename my boards user account and hang my head,

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭AI

heehee ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭valarie001

ya big tease AI :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭hiorta

"Tir na nog" is of course literally 'The Land of the young (childhood)' - a fabulous place for many.

there's all sorts of secret magik going on out there in tir na nog ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 purplechowball

So glad to see AI is on here... "out there".... has to be on an island...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 purplechowball

MUHAHAHAHA Just went and looked at the lost castle again and something clicked.... Checked my saved bookmarks and BAM!!!!!
    http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/heathfihttp://eld-towers-youghal-co-cork/392521#location

Tir na Nog is in Youghal? Oh what a cruel fate, eternal youth but you must permanently reside in Cork. Kill me now.

Heathfield Towers
    My Home.ie wrote:
    A rare opportunity to acquire a historic period residence set on its own woodland estate of C: 23acres.
    Tucked away discreetly the property is situated approximately 2km west of Youghal.Youghal is an expanding seaside market town situated on the N25 East of Cork City.

Enclosed by woodland the residence enjoys the luxury of seclusion while situated in a prime residential location.

Steeped in History with links to Mr James R Smith an important entrepreneur in the history of Youghal brick making and pottery. Heathfield house dates back to the mid 1800's and combines a substantial residence with additional outbuildings standing on approximately 23 acres, which includes the remains of some outbuildings and pottery works and a gate lodge situated at the western corner of the property.

The property, which is in need of complete restoration throughout, is a once in a lifetime opportunity to acquire such a scenic and private residence with huge development potential. Would be an ideal hotel/guest house or even an exclusive development of detached properties. The property is a period gem and is listed as a building on the national record of monuments and places would make an ideal family residence if restored to its former glory.

The property is zoned low density under the Youghal development plan and is included in 2 specific zoning objectives.

A detailed town planning report and pre panning discussion information is available to interested parties on request.

This unique residence represents one of the few historic houses remaining in the periphery of Cork County. This is a must see.

Directions

Coming from Cork Direction go straight through Youghal town. Pass Tesco and take your first left at the Roundabout signposted for dourgourney. Continue straight on until you come to a V in the road keep right of the V. Just before the by-pass bridge take a right and the entrance to the property is on the right with sign erected.

Its not haunted,just because AI says its haunted dosnt mean its haunted. He likes messing with your heads by saying a place is haunted and watching you lot go mental to try and get access to it. Its not haunted. Please dont go and take pictures of Orbs and put them up on websites...please

Also I dont know why its called Tir Na Nog on the site. I think my gran has a car older than this castle.

Source

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

AI has a book out at the moment on abandoned castles. Its actually a really nice book and I dont mind plugging it here. Dont know if that castle is in it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

I cant wait I couldnt make it in when AI had the launch in Cork but I have it on my kris kringle Christmas list really looking foward to having a look through. I know most of it is on the website but it is nice to support such a great artist I suppose is correct:D

Milly, my book lists 51 locations, 48 of which are not listed on my website. These new locations are the most interesting I have come across and also all my best work to date, so if you like my website and you haven't seen my book.. then you're missing out on all the best stuff.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

AI, I dont mind a wee small plug for you, but no overkill. :) If people want it, they will find it, ok?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Westhall2010

Hi guys,

I am from Cape Town, South Africa and would be interested in more information as to where exactly is "Tir na nOg".
    I would also appreciate more info on the secret fortress.
    If it is allowed you can always e-mail me at: adjw@mweb.co.za :)
    Thanks
    Tony

Hello A1,

Question for you.
    In all your journeys across Ireland, would you per chance have exact locations for these sites?
    If ever I manage to get to Ireland, I would like to contact you, would save me a lot of leg work.
    Would you also perhaps know if there is any form of restoration society specifically looking at the restoration of these sites.
    I know Ireland is in trouble financially, but it will come out of it and when it does I would like to be there.
    Cheers,
    Tony (Cape Town)

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭meryem

LostCastle-filtered.jpg

Just thought of adding the snap of The Lost Castle, Tir na nOg to have added color to the discussion thread. ;)

AI will not give the locations of the sites after he has put in all the work and promised privacy to the owners. There is no money to restore any of these buildings.

Whilst I appreciate that A1 has done all the work in establishing where these premises are and that the owners wish their privacy, I find it rather strange that these dwellings are in these terrible conditions for their so called privacy.
    Anyway we shall not dwell on this topic.

No money? Where there is a will there is a way.
    In the years to come what are your grand children going to find in their Ireland as the excuse is there was no money to save their heritage.

I am not even from your country and I am more concerned about the Irish heritage than it's own people. My great grandmother was Irish, that is the closest I can get to being Irish, surname Kenney. I think this is the spelling of the surname.
    Somewhere is a good place to start.
    You just don't realize that you have a lovely country and the people I met when I was there in 2001, were all lovely and friendly people.

Well if you people just want to keep on looking for excuses why Ireland looks like this, maybe I should try elsewhere.

Just as a matter of interest, I took the liberty of writing to the President of Ireland on this particular subject.

You all have a pleasant evening.
    Cheers,
    Tony (Cape Town):cool:

Let me know what she says

Advertisement