Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

v-max or a-max

Options
  • 03-01-2010 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

hi 50grain v-max or 52grain a-max i have cut both in half and can see no difference i know a-max is for target shooting but has any one used it for fox shooting as i think it wil expand the same .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

stephentri wrote: »
    hi 50grain v-max or 52grain a-max i have cut both in half and can see no difference i know a-max is for target shooting but has any one used it for fox shooting as i think it wil expand the same .

You have answered your own question. V-max has a longer polymar tip to open up the head.

V-Max
    bullets-v-max-cutaway.jpg

Premium polymer tip and streamlined design for ultra flat trajectories.
    Match grade jacket design provides maximum accuracy at all ranges.
    Explosive expansion, even at low velocities.

A-Max
    bullets-AMAX-cutaway.jpg
    • Ultra-low drag tip
    • Aerodynamic secant ogive delivers flat trajectories
    • Excellent uniformity and concentricity
    • Jacket precision drawn for unequaled consistency
    • Delivers consistent accuracy at all ranges

*Match bullets are not recommended for hunting medium & large game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

Ive used both for fox and small vermin, as Clive says the v max has a premium polymer tip designed to withstand high velocities, and offer dramatic fragmentation at even the lower velocities.
    The a-max is offered up by Hornady as a boat tailed match shooting bullet with an ultra low drag tip designed primarily for match shooting but is also reccomended by Hornady for hunting thin skinned game..so in short it will be okay for varmint shooting Irish style ie: foxes and smaller, but in general the v max are really the reccomended pill for varmint shooting.
    On another note, the best accuracy ive ever squeezed out of any varmint rifle was by using 52 grain a max in two different swifts! -very accurate bullet:)

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭stephentri

hi i have pulled the tips out of both 50grain v-max and 52grain a-max they are boath the same i have then measured the cavity and both the same?

hi i have pulled the tips out of both 50grain v-max and 52grain a-max they are boath the same i have then measured the cavity and both the same?

yeah, but the jackets thinner on the a max to aid concentricity , therefore enhancing its accuraccy over the v max, so I reckon the a max is basically an accurised v max for match shooting..

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Slug chucker

I done a bit of testing on the A-Max a while back:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055205460&page=2
    I found that the A-Max actually held together better, expanded better and maintained more mass than the V-Max. I use the 75 grain in .223 with great effect on fox's. One shot stopper every time with a Minute of Magpie at 300 yards.
    Hope this helps,
    Slug Chucker.

• Advertisement

I done a bit of testing on the A-Max a while back:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055205460&page=2
    I found that the A-Max actually held together better, expanded better and maintained more mass than the V-Max. I use the 75 grain in .223 with great effect on fox's. One shot stopper every time with a Minute of Magpie at 300 yards.
    Hope this helps,
    Slug Chucker.

.......actually held together better, expanded better and maintained more mass than the V-Max

And that is the main difference between the two rounds. The V-Max fragments better for a larger internal cavity and exit wound.

And I read your post, Slug Chucker, on the different 223 rounds 2 years ago when you put it up and kept the link. Very good read from a laymans point of doing things.

clivej wrote: »
    .......actually held together better, expanded better and maintained more mass than the V-Max

And that is the main difference between the two rounds. The V-Max fragments better for a larger internal cavity and exit wound.

And I read your post, Slug Chucker, on the different 223 rounds 2 years ago when you put it up and kept the link. Very good read from a laymans point of doing things.

Thats the way I see it too, the thicker case on the v max coupled with the ballistic tip being driven back into the cavity causes a situation where the cavity very suddenly has too much crowding going on and the result is an rapid explosion which causes great damage to internals-exactly what the v max is designed to do, talking to guys over in other forums hunting coyote with v max tell methat if v max strikes bone say on the shoulder ,this rapid expansion can be so fast that surface splash is the result which can cause wounding in animals..the a max will hold together better but when it does begin separating it does so in larger pieces and hasnt the same destructive effect..at the end of the day its hard to beat a v max into the chest cavity for a quick kill:)

I was shooting clay's @200m with some federal V-shok, same type of head. The clay's were resting on nails driven into 30mm wood.
    The hole in the wood was over 1" wide so it shows that the tips are already expanding after hitting the front of the clay and the distance of the thickness of a clay.

Advertisement