Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tales of Vespasia vs Star Ocean:The last hope.

Options
  • 03-01-2010 10:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭

Anyone else got both of these games? How do you think they compare? I prefer the story of star ocean,about half way through the game, but my God...the random battles can be repetitive at times and some of the dungeons go on too long. I'm about a quarter ways through Tales. I really like the art style and narrative,plus it's less depressing than Star Ocean, but I'm still waiting for the story to pick up a bit.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,435 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I own both but have yet to even play them :/ Damn Persona :)

Anyway going by previous Tales of games don't expect the story to pick up. They are great RPGs for battle mechanics and visuals but the story is just the usual anime malarky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Xluna

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I own both but have yet to even play them :/ Damn Persona :)

Anyway going by previous Tales of games don't expect the story to pick up. They are great RPGs for battle mechanics and visuals but the story is just the usual anime malarky.

I've never played a Persona game in my life.:eek: I don't know why I never got around to it. When you get around to playing them expect some major emo angst from star oceans protagonist,though to be fair he has a good reason to be like that considering...
    he's partially responsible for blowing up an alternative Earth.

Vespaisia is a really well made game all round. The artwork,mechanics and characters are great and it really does nothing wrong. The dialogue is consistantly good but so far there's been nothing in the story which has blown me away. A very enjoyable experience though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I have vesperia and I love it,great game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I'm on the last boss of Vesperia for about 8 months. I haven't been bothered to pick up the controller. It's a good game that kept me interested most of he way through but the closer to finishing it the less I cared.
    On the other hand I can't say anything bad about Symphonia. It did have plenty of anime tropes but they were well done and very well woven with what became a pretty good story.

I've been eying Star Ocean and Valkyria Chronicles. The latter more so than the former. All I have to do is 'borrow' my friends ps3 first.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Shryke wrote: »
    I'm on the last boss of Vesperia for about 8 months. I haven't been bothered to pick up the controller. It's a good game that kept me interested most of he way through but the closer to finishing it the less I cared.
    On the other hand I can't say anything bad about Symphonia. It did have plenty of anime tropes but they were well done and very well woven with what became a pretty good story.

I've been eying Star Ocean and Valkyria Chronicles. The latter more so than the former. All I have to do is 'borrow' my friends ps3 first.

I agree Symphonia is a much better game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Dragons Revenge

Vesperia, easily. Considering that was one of the best RPGs I've played since Shadow Hearts Covenant. Haven't played Last Hope yet, but considering Tri Ace's trend in striving for mediocrity, I'm sure I'm better off.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Aurongroove

consoles?

I played StarOcean:TtEoT (PS2 if I'm not mistaken) and enjoyed it but wouldn't dream of playing it through again: the first time I played I obsessivly filled every map I could as soon as it became possible to do so. The fighting system I though was fantastically addicitive; you would go ****ing nuts when you lost your bonus combo. I spent the first half of the game spamming wonderful magic combos from afar protecting my wonderful bonuses, and the second half in close combat using the hero's frightfully powerful special moves.
    the story was bonkers and badly done, but I enjoyed it in the sort of way one might enjoy a cup of "Coffeetea*" (which I've actually drank, wyb)

Haven't played Last Hope yet, but considering Tri Ace's trend in striving for mediocrity, I'm sure I'm better off.

Star Ocean's great Draggie,kay?( You better get used to this if you buy Star Ocean...)

Xluna wrote: »
    Star Ocean's great Draggie,kay?( You better get used to this if you buy Star Ocean...)

I haven't played any SO since Second Story, but I have played Infinite Undiscovery. I guess if you can tell me Last Hope miles above IU, I will reconsider.

Draggie? Lol, that's a new one.

I haven't played any SO since Second Story, but I have played Infinite Undiscovery. I guess if you can tell me Last Hope miles above IU, I will reconsider.

Draggie? Lol, that's a new one.

Lol! There's a kid who joins you're party and she ends every sentence with "Kay"? Once she learns a characters name she refers to him/her with an infantile version of the name.i.e. Edge becomes Edggie, ect. It's cute at first but soon becomes overbearing.

Star Ocean 4 is a far better game all round than I.U. so I hope you give it a chance and enjoy it,Kay?:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

I have both. Completed Tales and am about a third of the way through Star Ocean. Both really good games in my opinion, each with their own strengths. I found the characters in Tales to be far more likable than those in Star Ocean.

Get both, they're both probably fairly cheap at this stage (SO was €15). The only problem is getting the time to play them both:)

Lol! There's a kid who joins you're party and she ends every sentence with "Kay"? Once she learns a characters name she refers to him/her with an infantile version of the name.i.e. Edge becomes Edggie, ect. It's cute at first but soon becomes overbearing.

Star Ocean 4 is a far better game all round than I.U. so I hope you give it a chance and enjoy it,Kay?:p

Ah, here I thought it was cute nickname you came up with. :P

Sounds like what Rikku does with "Yunie's" name in FFX, which was aggrivating from the start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

OMG!

Lymle is the worse MOE character ever!

In the manual it says she is 15. More like 5. I really hate her. Also it just seems really creepy that the devs allowed a character looking and behaving like that in the game.

She is worse then MOE character in Eternal Sonata

OMG!

Lymle is the worse MOE character ever!

In the manual it says she is 15. More like 5. I really hate her. Also it just seems really creepy that the devs allowed a character looking and behaving like that in the game.

She is worse then MOE character in Eternal Sonata

What's a moe character?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,435 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's a character that the game states is around 18 or so but they look and act a lot younger, say around 12. This is to give far greasy japanese paedos some **** material for when the character gets in awkward sexual experiences or outright gets molested. It's usually covered up by bizarre plot points and the defence of 'but she's 18 but looks like she hasn't hit puberty!'.

What's a moe character?

Moe refers to a female character, usually in anime who comes across as small and helpless and evokes a feeling in the viewer to want to protect her. If you've seen Clannad, the series is rife with characters like that.

Edit: ... that too.

Got to say, I've really warmed to this game. I'm 22 hours into it and loving it. Best part was that I paid €40 for it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭Polar101

Got to say, I've really warmed to this game. I'm 22 hours into it and loving it. Best part was that I paid €40 for it :D

Sorry, but do you mean Tales of Vespasia or Star Ocean?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

What changed your mind? Has your opinion of HD JRPGs changed a little now? :pac:

Polar101 wrote: »
    Sorry, but do you mean Tales of Vespasia or Star Ocean?

Sorry I meant Star Ocean.

Goth,

it was a terrible start but half way through it actually takes the piss out of itself so I can forgive it. Still not as good as PS2 gen for JRPGs. I want ToV but still no sign of a English PS3 version :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement