Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

weight that an upstairs floor can take ?

• 03-01-2010 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭

would there be any danger involved in putting a very heavy ammount of furniture in the very centre of an upstairs bedroom. Its a semi detatched old house from the 1950's
    I am trying to build a sound-proof Sleeping pod (using a heavy bunk bed, surrounded on 3 sides by a wardrobe, cupboards, bookshelves and chests of drawers - all filled with books, and other stuff to try and absorb the sounds coming in from next door.
    Also does anyone have any suggestions on what to put the legs of the bunk bed on - to minimise the vibrations coming through the floorboards ? Thanks if anyone can suggest anything.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eoghan.geraghty

IIRC the floor joists are selected to take up to 200kg per sq metre.
    I think a better idea would be to slab your party wall with 80mm thermal board ( an acoustic board would be better but I've no idea how to get one ) and put some heavy acoustic underlay under your carpet upstairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

i have found through the years that old houses where far from spec when it came to using joists.

that with the fact that they are 50 years old.

I would consider eoghan's solution . There are a few threads on successful sound proofing here. Have a read through them.

I would think that although Books sounds(pardon the pun) like an effective method, there would be air gaps above them.
    A room should have a dead air space (like a cavity) in between 2 walls to be good a sound insulator. With sound proofing products as well. Im no expert on it. But seen the method done in the US. Which had very good results.

Advertisement