Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

eCryptfs private folder advice needed please

• 03-01-2010 12:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭

Hi

I just made a new private folder using eCryptfs on a already existing 9.10 user account. That is the private folder was not made during the live cd installation but after.
    I already used sudo to not automatically decrypt the private folder when i log in-but how do i change the password?-at the moment the password is the same as my login passphrase

I have read that the default encryption strength is AES 128 bit-is this correct and if so how secure is this?

Also if i had reinstalled ubuntu 9.10 in the first place with the option to “Require a password to log in and decrypt your home folder” would the entire home folder be encrypted-including desktop, downloads and music?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I can't answer the other stuff, but .....
    mehmeh12 wrote: »
    how secure is this?

Very. I mean, maybe a large government organisation might be arsed with time and effort and a LOT of money, but an average punter....no chance. Possible number of keys: 340282366920938463463374607431768211456 (maybe more).

Advertisement