Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me please with SMART broadband

• 03-01-2010 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I connected to SMART at 22nd of december. I ordered 7mbit from them. First I connected to the internet, modem synced fine and I started to download something with my firefox. Download speed was 20-30KB/sec. I thought my line is too noisy, so I checked the line parameters:

Uptime: 0 days, 8:11:25
    DSL Type: G.992.1 annex A
    Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 384 / 7,168
    Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00
    Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 0.0 / 10.0
    Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 14.5 / 26.0
    SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 12.0 / 14.5
    Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / BDCM
    Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
    Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
    Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
    Loss of Link (Remote): 0
    Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 2 / 0
    FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 58,455
    CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 361
    HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 345

It synced with 7mbit, so it seems for me fine. I thought it is a DSLAM overload problem, and I measured speed for more days in different hours. The result is awful, it is always the same, doesn't matter if it 8am, midday or 2am, I don't think the DSLAM will be overloaded in 24/7. The SMART speed test says maximum 1000 kbit/sec, ftp, http is max 20-30KB/sec. I tested to download a debian cd image from different irish and other mirrors via http or ftp, always the same. If I start to check an online video from Youtube, it buffers for 10 minutes for a 5 minutes video. Ping is fine, max 40-60ms within Ireland.

What I found if I download with more threads, speed can be more. For example if I download a CD image with DownThemAll (a firefox plugin) and I use 10 threads, I can reach the 2-300KB/sec. If I am downloading something via torrent, and I have 50-60 peers, I can reach the 7mbit. For me it seems the line is OK, because I can reach the 7mbit, just I have problem with 1 threaded downloads.

I use usually gentoo or debian linux where I download the packages via wget, which downloads with 1 thread. The line is totally useless in this way.

I have already tried the line with a different modem and directly PPPoE from my computer, I got the same result. I called SMART, they told me they can see everything fine.

Now I think maybe I got some kind of QOS from SMART, but why? I am a new customer. Can I test it somehow?

Do you have any idea?

Thank You!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

why not redirect your question to the smart forums here

http://support.smarttelecom.ie/forums/

Unless youve already sone so in which case ignore

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭chriss745

Yes, I already asked there as well, but no answer. I either wrote to the technical support team of SMART, but they neither answer. This is the reason why I asked here, maybe somebody had the same problem before and know the solution.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,432 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

chriss745 wrote: »
    Yes, I already asked there as well, but no answer. I either wrote to the technical support team of SMART, but they neither answer. This is the reason why I asked here, maybe somebody had the same problem before and know the solution.

The line stats are very good otherwise, but you have a lot of noise it seems from all those errors. Can you hear crackling on a handset?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

have you tried a download manager for firefox?

i had a similiar problem with smart, but i installed internet download manager, and instead of using firefox, i download through IDM, and i seem to get full speeds.

Spear wrote: »
    The line stats are very good otherwise, but you have a lot of noise it seems from all those errors. Can you hear crackling on a handset?

No, the line seems fine. Yesterday I moved my modem and splitter next to the main wall socket, I got the same line stats without errors, but the speed was either slow.

• Advertisement

have you tried a download manager for firefox?

i had a similiar problem with smart, but i installed internet download manager, and instead of using firefox, i download through IDM, and i seem to get full speeds.

Yes, I use DownThemAll but this is not the best solution. I mainly use gentoo and debian linux which downloads packages, updates via wget, which is only one threaded. I just now downloaded a 7MB firefox installer, it was 12 minutes. I think on a 7mbit line it should be max 1 minute.

Have you asked SMART why it is so slow?

We tried my username and password at my college, he has BT service, but we could connect with my username and password. I could not beleive what I have seen, it was totally fine, we could download with 600KB/sec, almost max of 7mbit.

Now I totally lost, what can be the problem?

chriss745 wrote: »
    We tried my username and password at my college, he has BT service, but we could connect with my username and password. I could not beleive what I have seen, it was totally fine, we could download with 600KB/sec, almost max of 7mbit.

Now I totally lost, what can be the problem?

We made an additional test. I tried with him username and password. My download worked with almost full speed, I can download with 500KB/sec.

Download Speed: 3866 kbps (483.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 323 kbps (40.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Latency: 55 ms
    4 Eanáir 2010 22:00:30

After changing back to my account FTP download speed is 40KB/sec and web speed test:

Download Speed: 1034 kbps (129.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 274 kbps (34.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Latency: 54 ms
    4 Eanáir 2010 22:06:38

WHAT??? Any idea? In my DSLAM SMART accounts are restricted??? Is it possible?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Wolverine_1999

Yes, they are restricting speed for going over their 30 day usage.

However, seeing you are a new user, they must have accidentally put you on the wrong profile.

Yes, they are restricting speed for going over their 30 day usage.

However, seeing you are a new user, they must have accidentally put you on the wrong profile.

Smart told me eircom reported to them it is a exchange problem. What a bullsh*t. In this case why can I download with full speed with a BT account?

Smart told me I can cancel the service if I want. Now the big question is for me, if I switch to an another provider (magnet, swiftcall have unlimited download as well),will I get again the same problem?

No easy, not easy...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 regisss

I am in the EXACT same situation, with the download capped on a single TCP connection. Downloading with 30 connections solves the issue, but watching Youtube videos is a nightmare.

I would like to know how much did you pay for canceling the service?
    Or is there a way to cancel without being charged (I am customer for only 2 weeks....)

Thanks a lot!

Advertisement