Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas fire to nomal fire

• 03-01-2010 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭

Both myself and the gf want a real open fire.

but the thing is out fireplace is set up fr a gas fire ( not installed)

anyway can i assume the following

the firebacking is suitable for a normal open fire?

Because it was piped for gas and has a firebacking , the chimney will be fine to use for a normal open fire?

if all the above is true all i will have to do is cap off gas supply ( furthest from the fire of course)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,000 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Flue for gas may not be sufficient for solid fuel fire. Best check it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

there is at least a 9" ope .

if i stick my head up i can see daylight too.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭dbyrne

Gas is not the same fire as real, the work at completly different temps. We got it done and it was the best thing we did.
    You must disable the gas and move the pipe away from the fire, done by a certified gas installer only
    You will probably have to remove the back and the base and put in a new back and base with fire cement, as the gas ones is not set up for the heat.
    The chimney may not be made for fires so contact the builder if it is a new build, ask a neighbour if you know they have a real fire or get someone to check as they may have to reline the chimney.
    Hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

builders gone AWOL

the chimney looks as if it is a clay pipe or something.

is there anyway of telling the rating of the fire backing by looking at it

Advertisement