Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learn To Let Go

Options
  • 03-01-2010 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭

An interesting writeup here about how 'Success Killed Duke Nukem'.

Good story and some valuable lessons. Really shows how sometimes you have to make decisions and within the gaming industry, you have to be snappy with anything that you do.

But is DNF really dead?.....Time will tell.

🤪

Comments

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Would it have been better than Daikatana though, had it been released.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

I read that awhile back and have since thought about it a bit, there was a third person DN sequel on N64, where does that fit into the timeline?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,434 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

3D Realms hadn't made a single game since Duke 3D. Any other Duke games including the N64 games were made by a 3rd party and published by 3D Realms. Shadow Warrior is often mistakenly thought to be by 3D Realms but it was by a 3rd party dev.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I just think 3D Realm's got carried away with themselves, and forgot how to make games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

i remember, when duke came out a neighbour got it and i thought it was really cool because of the red 18 tag on it, i was thinking it must be really good if it has that :)

when i got to play it, didnt think mush of it, but i thought i was cool, as i was like 12 playing an 18 game.

the other games that were released were crap.

duke isnt a good gaming series its ****n crap, tbh, put it to bed, move on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Shadow Warrior is often mistakenly thought to be by 3D Realms but it was by a 3rd party dev.

3D realms are claiming they made it.

http://www.3drealms.com/sw/index.html
    "Game Design
    3D Realms, Frank Maddin, Jim Norwood
    Project Leader
    George Broussard"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,434 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well they hired a third party. The main 3D Realms team was too caught up in Duke Forever at the time to make it.George broussard produced it but had very little involvement in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

i remember, when duke came out a neighbour got it and i thought it was really cool because of the red 18 tag on it, i was thinking it must be really good if it has that :)

when i got to play it, didnt think mush of it, but i thought i was cool, as i was like 12 playing an 18 game.

Yeah I actually never really understood the love for the series. I always assumed that if DNF ever did come out, it'd be shite tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 83,303 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

they never wanted to make the game, they wanted to milk investor money for as long as possible. And it worked out for them. Who else can say they made a living for 10+ years making one video game without ever showing a product?

Not that anybody will ever hire them for work again mind you.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    3D Realms hadn't made a single game since Duke 3D. Any other Duke games including the N64 games were made by a 3rd party and published by 3D Realms. Shadow Warrior is often mistakenly thought to be by 3D Realms but it was by a 3rd party dev.

Erm didn't they make Prey? That wasn't a total bag of ****.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Maximilian wrote: »
    Erm didn't they make Prey? That wasn't a total bag of ****.

I think Human Head Studios did a lot of the work on Prey though.

Human Head Studios did all the work on prey. 3D Realms only published it. The original Prey that never got released was a 3D Realms project but by a different team that disbanded and left after it fell apart.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Overheal wrote: »
    they never wanted to make the game, they wanted to milk investor money for as long as possible. And it worked out for them. Who else can say they made a living for 10+ years making one video game without ever showing a product?

You do realise that the guys behind it wasted millions of their own money on this project. It has nothing to do with milking investors and everything to do with poor management and decision making.

3D Realms were a giant bag of fail in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭Wossack

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Out of interest how many of you folks honestly expected DNF to be a really good game?

I have always felt the game was going to be an epic failure as Duke the character just hasn't aged well as an ideal at all. Even the various trailers for DNF both official and leaked looked just pretty cringe worthy. Modern gamers just expect so much more than the likes of Duke Nukem.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,991 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Venom wrote: »
    Modern gamers just expect so much more than the likes of Duke Nukem.

Ah not at all. Modern games may appear to have advanced with their fancy graphics, but it's the same thing really. Run, dodge, shoot.

Blockbuster games like GOW and Halo really aren't anything much further beyond Duke Nukem story wise either. They might attempt to make the story deep and somewhat pretentious, but it's still just space marines and what not blowing **** up. Hardly a work of art.

There really is a place left for Duke. I was quite looking forward to it myself. Fingers crossed someone else finishes the damn thing off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Duke the character just hasn't aged well as an ideal at all.

I think this would've been a problem, Duke's character is too flat and harks back to a time when games characters were simpler.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Mr. K wrote: »
    I think this would've been a problem, Duke's character is too flat and harks back to a time when games characters were simpler.

What? What was complex about the main characters in crysis, doom 3, quake 4, borderlands etc. FPS don't really need or have deep, complex characters. The ones that do tend to have RPG elements to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

What? What was complex about the main characters in crysis, doom 3, quake 4, borderlands etc. FPS don't really need or have deep, complex characters. The ones that do tend to have RPG elements to them.

Its not so much about the character in an FPS being complex but more as a plot device to continue the story. A hugely over the top personality like Duke is a victim of time's gone bye like Ben Elton and Alexii Sale who were funny in their day but looking at them now is just painful. Duke was just one catch phrase after another that was ripped from certain movies of the time but that time was way to long ago for it to be entertaining today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Its not so much about the character in an FPS being complex but more as a plot device to continue the story. A hugely over the top personality like Duke is a victim of time's gone bye like Ben Elton and Alexii Sale who were funny in their day but looking at them now is just painful. Duke was just one catch phrase after another that was ripped from certain movies of the time but that time was way to long ago for it to be entertaining today.

Exactly, Duke is just an embodiment of masculinity and that doesn't lend itself to many plotlines. Killing cocooned women is a pretty shallow objective!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

Thats like saying that first mario is ****
    or nirvana are ****
    Duke after wolfenstine/maybe doom started a revolution

but now the bad mouthing muscly character wont stick, times have changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Placebo wrote: »
    Duke after wolfenstine/maybe doom started a revolution

Did he? Was the game really that good?

I always got the impression it was an 'lol TITS IN A GAME' thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Cunny-Funt wrote: »
    Did he? Was the game really that good?

I always got the impression it was an 'lol TITS IN A GAME' thing.

Exactly...and look where we are today - Bayonetta, Dante's Inferno, Wet, GTA, etc :pac:

🤪

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

The n64 duke had a fun multiplayer , as for the character being no longer relevant serious sam was pretty successful not too long ago and there's another in the pipeline.

Advertisement