Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rabbit with tearful eyes.

Options
  • 03-01-2010 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Noticed our lionhead had wet patches under her eyes last night. Its like her eyes are crying a lot. I"ve looked up a bit on google about infections. I will bring her to the vet in the morning anyway but did anyone have a similiar problem before?? She is in good health otherwise and shows no signs of being ill only the wet patches. Anyone have any idea what it might be??
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭fend

Maybe she's sad? :D:p

Just a hunch, and maybe i'm totally way out of my league as i'v never had a rabbit, but has your rabbit been indoors and beside a radiator? Or exposed to smoke such as cigarette smoke?
    Might not be any comparison but when my Basset Hound dog's bed was left beside a heated radiator, her eyes started crying also. [What a wasted trip to the vet that was :rolleyes:]
    If your rabbit is too warm it may happen.

Also if she's indoors and someone in the room is smoking, her eyes might be a little sensitive to the smoke causing her to weep. I know it happens to me when i'm in a smokey room :P

If any of the above apply, alter the situationa dn see if there is any improvement.
    If none of the above apply, ring up the vet and get a professionals advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

fend wrote: »
    Maybe she's sad? :D:p
    Christmas is over :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

Poor bunny! def bring him to the vet - not to be an alarmist, but it might be nothing (hopefully), but then again it might be serious. My bunny got myxamatosis (sp?) which is very serious and he had to be put to sleep - it started as watery eyes, 24 hrs later, he had a blocked nose which looked like he had a cold, and shortly afterwards was diagnosed with the dreaded myxy. So def keep watch on it, and bring him to the vet sooner rather than wait for it to get worse.

I hope it is just something minor. It may turn out to be over cautious bringing him to the vet, but better safe than sorry - the jobs of the responsible pet owner!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 elcikirl

She has her shots for mixy so hopefully thats not it.
    I looked up google and it can be caused by a few things, mostly bacterial infections. Will bring her to vets tomo.

No fend, she has been outside for months. comes in for a look when the door is open but thats for a few minutes everyday. No no smoke near her.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Our rabbits got this a couple of times, and it sometimes led to encrustations beneath our eyes. All we did was wipe it away with a damp cloth. Have you ensured her hutch is clean?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

It could be something as simple as being too hot/cold or having an allergy. However, it could be something more serious, such as myxomatosis (worst case scenario), and your vet will be the best one to advise you.

Regardless, you should wash your hands after handling the rabbit, just incase it's contagious.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Could be just a draught but as said vet will be able to put you right.
    Zillion things that cause eye problems from infections to a scratch from hay etc. Keep a close eye (scuse the pun) on the bun though as they hide illnesses well.

Let us know how you get on

Advertisement