Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damaged guitar, thanks ryanair!

Options
  • 03-01-2010 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭

Hey there!

I was just on to a pal of mine who was visiting me here in Dublin from London for the past couple of weeks. Unfortunately upon arrival at Stansted and inspection of his Bass Guitar, the neck of his instrument was severely damaged rendering it unplayable. Essentially we were both wondering what he can do. He did pay 40 euro for the pleasure of ryanair transporting his instrument after all.

Is there anything we can do? Has anybody here had any experience in dealing with Ryanair in terms of compensation or the like. It seems somewhat like a lost cause to me but we have to try considering my friends means are hardly substantial and having to buy a new bass (which is practically his breadwinner) would cripple him financially.

Thanks in advance for any help!
    Andrew

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Did he go straight to the baggage desk at STN when he noticed the damage to report it to the ground handlers? If so, he should have filled in a PIR (Property Irregularity Report) and got a reference number to use here: https://www.ryanairbaggage.com/

Really, he should have booked an extra seat (as outlined here) to ensure it was in his sight at all times and unlikely to be damaged. A bit late now, but something like a guitar (especially one that he might be depending on) should never be checked in.

If he didn't get a PIR, he probably has no chance of claiming anything from Ryanair. Even with that, there is a good chance they'll lay the blame elsewhere (it got damaged on the baggage belt etc).

Does he have travel insurance? He could claim on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Enigma'

You'll get no compensation from Ryanair, fragile instruments like a guitar should always be carried as hand luggage.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭I-Shot-Jr

Thanks for the advice guys, I've relayed the information on to my pal. But surely the fact he paid 40 euro explicitly for a musical instrument (as stated on his flight itinerary and details) has to count for something, if they can't protect it, why do they offer it as a service?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Not really. He paid them extra to carry it in the hold. Which they did.

It doesn't really cover or guarantee any special treatment

• Registered Users Posts: 5 TheKingdom

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Not really. He paid them extra to carry it in the hold. Which they did.

It doesn't really cover or guarantee any special treatment

The Aviation Regulator says this
    "Baggage Queries

In the event that your baggage has been lost, delayed or damaged the Montreal Convention affords you certain entitlements.

The European Consumer Centre Dublin will explain these entitlements to you in detail and they will also provide you with the assistance and information necessary to pursue the matter. However it is important to contact them as soon as possible as under the Montreal Convention complaints relating to baggage must be submitted within certain timeframes.

The ECC are located at 13a Upper O’Connell Street, Dublin 1 and are contactable on + 353 (0)1 8090600. http://www.eccdublin.ie/"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

Same thing happened to this guy read his story

http://www.davecarrollmusic.com/story/united-breaks-guitars/

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

Enigma' wrote: »
    You'll get no compensation from Ryanair, fragile instruments like a guitar should always be carried as hand luggage.

Not quite true.

On purchasing a fishing rod in Italy a couple of years ago on return to Shannon it came out with the other musical instruments and golf clubs as I expected, broken. It was contained in a hard plastic tube and the damage done looks like it was stood on.
    Up to the desk I went, filled out damage report form and a few days letter got a letter from Ryanair to say tough poop but this is covered under your own travel insurance and Ryanair were not liable.
    I wrote back saying I was unable to bring it onboard with me. On check in I declared it as a fragile item, had fragile stickers put all over it, it was accepted as such by Ryanair and if they were not able to ship it without the possibility of damaging it they should have asked me to sign a liability release waiver. They took possession of my property in good condition and gave it back to me broken. They are liable for the replacment cost and travel insurance has nothing to do with it. I then went on to quote some EU convention baggage legislation which is published on their website.
    Got a letter in the post a few days later with a cheque for the replacement cost of the fishing rod. The End.

If you reported the damage at the Baggage Desk at your arrival destination then you have some chance of recovering your cost. If not then this is the end of the road I'm afraid.

Advertisement