Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Shop front/Development on Castle Street

Options
  • 03-01-2010 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭

Any one have any ideas whats going in there yet if anything (space beside the model gallery), am guessing maybe some kind of department store as looks to be one open space rather than units, also appears to be looking through the dust that theres an escalator what in the middle of it.

I know we all have our wish lists for sligo, but any confirmation of definatly maybes for here, Or is it just going to be another empty space like the units at the bottom of Market Street.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Wasn't there a rumour it was going to be Heatons?
    Or have they decided against coming to Sligo.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭easkey

It for the chamber of commers who are setting up a
    public consolation area for the people of Sligo
    into the future development of the Town.

LOL:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭buckasssailor

i heard ages ago heatons had pulled out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I used to work there, my desk was upstairs where the escalator is now, in the old store rooms.

Fascinating old building, there were cellars with writing on the beams from the 20's and pages torn from newspapers about horse racing nailed to the walls. When one room was being renovated they painted over the beams which had writing from the 1890's (I could have weeped).

The attic was a dorm for the apprentices - very creepy - tiny narrow dark staircase up to it. There was another blocked off room with a huge wheel (don't know why) which was used for making wooden clogs during WW1.

There was a safe room (like a banks) which was full of the accounts back to the 1800's - gorgeous writing in huge leather bound books.

Shame to see it all go.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭sungem

There is 'another' chipper opening in Sligo, on Castle St.... not sure if its the same place though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭tedshredsonfire

Tequila saw the development a few months back as it was nearing completion and the beams are still there and look class. The top floor where they are would make for a fantatsic architects office or similar but not to many of them looking for new office space I imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

That's good to hear Ted, glad some features were saved.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭ge_ch

i heard a pub is goin in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

A pub has gone in at the back of the development, called Kennedys. Popped my head in for a look, wasn't impressed, there was one bloke in what I'd say his 70's. Didn't even see a barman so left again.

the guy who runs the pub is the son of the proberty owner who owns the belfry and toffs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

the guy who runs the pub is the son of the proberty owner who owns the belfry and toffs

Yeah, Kevin Jr's Wife's Maiden name is Kennedy hence the name. Easiest way I can describe it is a new pub trying to be old....

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭tedshredsonfire

Yeah, Kevin Jr's Wife's Maiden name is Kennedy hence the name. Easiest way I can describe it is a new pub trying to be old....
    Kevin Jnr is not married please try and get facts straight before posting. Think the pub is class and glad not to see another big wide open disco type pub in sligo. Nice spot to go into for a quiet drink and chat with friends etc imho.
    Know Kevin pretty well and have nothing but respect for the man.

Bobcar just cos someones 70 doesn't mean its not a nice pub. The pub stretches back with snugs and nooks and crannys so may have been more in there but hidden.

he is ingagued

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

Guys, the marital status of someone who may or may not own a bar is not relevant to this thread, let's leave his life along, okay? - fozzle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

I didn't say it wasn't a nice pub I just stated that I wasn't impressed which I'm entitled to say as it's my opinion and I just didn't like it.

Advertisement