Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Take away meals from a garage

Options
  • 03-01-2010 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭

Just on the bus and heard a conversation between the woman across from me and her OH, she was letting that person know she was on her way home and wondered if they'd like her to pick up two dinners from the garage. Images were conjured up in my head of wilted roast beef, powdered mashed potatoes, broccolli that needed an AED and gravy you could slice with a knife. Why are these meals still so popular? There are hundreds of receipes out there that would probably take less time than the trip to the garage and will be so much tastier and nutritious. So basically I started this thread for anyone who wanted to share their thoughts on these dinners or wanted to share any really simple receipes. Fairplay to the womans OH though, he/she had already got something cooking!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

What sort of dinner? A boxed "all in one meal" out of a freezer or the sort of thing that sits under heated lights all day inside a glass case? If its the former it'll do you no harm and is excusable on an occasional basis, if its the latter then you better be damned hungry!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,050 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Or why do people buy cooked chickens (unless they have no oven)?

I've known people to buy cooked chicken, then go and cook the rest of the meal from scratch - they'd have had a small chicken roast in that time!:confused:

And they taste nothing like a freshly roast chicken.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

mike65 wrote: »
    What sort of dinner? A boxed "all in one meal" out of a freezer or the sort of thing that sits under heated lights all day inside a glass case? If its the former it'll do you no harm and is excusable on an occasional basis, if its the latter then you better be damned hungry!

I got the impression it was the premade variety! You would have to be starving!

Regarding cooked chickens, I have never understood why people do this because really all you have to is take it out of the packaging and put it in a hot oven for 1hour-1 hour 20 min.

My favourite roast chicken is with a lemon cut in half and stuck in the cavity with whole garlic cubes and rosemary. Rub with oil, salt and pepper, takes a whole ... 5 minutes!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

I used to work for a company that produced those hot counter meals.

The mash potato was real potato and the chicken curry was the best I've tasted.
    They had other lines that were very good, the quality could be seen and the customer really enjoyed what was produced, compared to some of the other slop that others produced..

We also did some of the range for the take home, The product was the same as the one that was on the hot counter but it wasn't heated before it was put in the package..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I must confess I am gulity of buying those Roast Chicken if people arrive when I don't expect them, I buy them to make something like a chicken casear salad or sandwiches. If I was doing a hot meal or had warning that people were coming I always roast the chicken myself.

I can't understand why people buy those roast from the hot deli counter, they look yuck.

• Advertisement
Advertisement