Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Camera Suggestions for RTW trip

• 03-01-2010 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

Am heading away next week on a round the world trip. Am looking to get a decent small-ish point and shoot camera? Any suggestions? i want to capture sunsets, landscapes etc.

i have a canon 400 DSLR but I think this may be too big to carry around.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

I'd say you'd be fine lugging the 400D around, its not that big a monster. Otherwise I'd recommend the Canon G9/G10/G11 as it's (more a less) pocketable. Also the Canon Powershot S90 is getting very good reviews. However none of these are cheap! I'd stick with the 400D and get a LowePro shoulder bag/top loading bag and use that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

Can't advise on p&s but wonder about storage, you going to spend a small fortune on cards or have you a portable hd?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

or could consider dropping into a net cafe and upload them somewhere. though if you go for high res/high file size might not be worth while

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

For storage when I was travelling I used one of these : Photobank HDD
    Basically a large capacity hard drive with a built in card reader (SD,CF,etc) that has a rechargable battery pack that allows you to copy the contents of the Camera's memory cards onto the portable hard drive on-the-go without using a laptop etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

When i was travelling i just got my 100gb Archos... i remember it like it was 3 or 4 years ago (i have a bad memory) i would take 20 shots on max res and out with the archos. 2min copying them over, walk about 10 feet and another 20 shots... those were the days ! :)
    (i upgraded from the 512mb card or what ever i had)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭Geezer1000

I have a Canon Ixus 75. Brilliant p&s camera. I assume theres a new model out by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

I recommend this the pentax optio..I had the older version for nearly 5 years and had it with me on my round the world trip, until I burnt the sensor taking a sunset (this was my fault for holding it too long pointing directly at the sun!) picture in New Zeland..:(

I used it in the sea and in the pools, But it also took fantastic scenary shots,and it never let me down..

I'll try to post some pics to give you an idea of its quality.

http://www.pentaximaging.com/digital-camera/Optio_W60_-_Ocean_Blue/

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

Attached is some idea of the quality that the pentax will give you..

3471 is New York, Taken from an open top bus.
    4533 is the last picture taken with the camera.

hope these help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Something as above like a G9/10/11 would be a good compromise.

Advertisement