Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gravelling a garden

Options
  • 03-01-2010 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

hi,

I have a terraced back garden and have killed off all the grass using weed control material. I know am not in the position financially to deck as I had planned. Has any one got any idea how much gravellin the garden would cost ? the garden is slopped and is about 18 * 22 foot .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Typical spread rate of 1'' gravel / sq ft you should require just under 2 ton.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

What do you put under the gravel? Weed barrier, or nothing?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Its wise to use a weed barrier when using gravel as a topdressing over soil.

In heavy traffic areas, a compacted sub-base of hardcore/804 (minimum 3'' for pedestrian areas and 6'' for other uses) would be required. Generally a weed barrier would not be used in 'hardcored' areas.

If topdressing is a light coloured gravel, it would also be wise to blind (1 '') with alight coloured dust, this helps prevent any unsightly chuening and mixing of dark sub-base stone with light coloured ornamental gravel.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭beccaboom

We have weed control black permeable material put down now since September to stop any grass or weed growth and tha has worked well.

We are trying now to budget how much the gravel will cost , we have our paving stones for a path down and the garden terraces are sectioned by sleepers so that isnt a problem.

fingers crossed it will come in as a reasonable price

thanks a million

• Registered Users Posts: 28,434 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You can get pea gravel, which is I think used by builders, but it is not bad looking (tends to be greyish) I prefer it to the grave-dressing stuff. The big advantage is that it is about half the price of the bagged gravel. Also you will have to put down some more about 12 months after the first lot, and at that stage you could start raking in lighter coloured pea gravel to brighten it up a bit. When I got the first lot that I used in the back of the house I got some really nice gravel at 'builders' price, a lot of light brown pebbles in it, but I haven't seen it since. Look in a builders providers or sand and gravel merchant, rather than a garden centre.

• Advertisement
Advertisement